PDA

View Full Version : Making my own Christmas cards - help!

ShelleyCowie
18-Oct-09, 13:15
Well hello there,

I have always wanted to make my own Christmas Cards as they seem more personal than just shop bought ones.

So can anyone help me get started off? I have had a look on liz-craft and that but not sure of all the bits i will need. :confused

Im looking to make about 20+ cards.

Thanks!

mrjolly
18-Oct-09, 13:36
craft shop at wick is very good. :Razz

Ash
18-Oct-09, 13:52
Jimbews have alot of craft items

sweetpea
27-Oct-09, 03:00
Start with a pack of blank cards and envelopes. Argos have good deals. Then you will need toppers, stickers, ribbon or whatever you want to put on them. You can buy stickers with Christmas greetings etc on them. The craft shop does have a lot of good things but I also use ebay for supplies.
It is more personal:)

Vistravi
27-Oct-09, 23:41
Aye there are more personal ;)

I make my own birthday, anniversary, christmas etc cards. I don't buy manufactured cards anymore for anything.

My sister pointed out that even though every card i make is unique she can still tell who made it. I must have a certain style i use or something that for someone who has seen my cards recongises.

For me making cards is my hobby as i enjoy it immensely and i have always got fresh and new ideas for them as i'm quite imagniative (sp). My partner gave it a bash one day but he wasn't pleased with the card he made. he wasn't happy about the lack of imangation (sp) it showed. So i get asked alot to make him one for somebody.

I've started making my christmas cards now as i have 30 to make roughly and i know if i leave it til end of november i'll end up doing loads at the same time and end up with creative cramp :lol:

Vistravi
28-Oct-09, 00:07
Well hello there,

I have always wanted to make my own Christmas Cards as they seem more personal than just shop bought ones.

So can anyone help me get started off? I have had a look on liz-craft and that but not sure of all the bits i will need. :confused

Im looking to make about 20+ cards.

Thanks!

You'll need card, envelopes, card toppers, stickers, glue or sticky dots (i use glue, sticky dots and double sided small squares), could have glitter to add a bit of sparkle. The list can be endless shelley and it gets expensive. I've got loads of things for christmas to do my christmas cards but not much left for birthdays now, so got to get some more stuff for that.

Keep an eye out and you never know where you can get things to make your own cards card topper wise from. I pick my stuff up when i spot it and often on ebay now.

Just enjoy making them and remember that each card you make you are developing your skills and therefore the next one you make will be that much better. I have noticed this in the last year and so as the cards i make now are in my opinion much better than the ones i made when i first started making them again in 2006/2007.

You'll be getting a handmade one back this year shelley! ;)

sweetpea
29-Oct-09, 00:11
I went a bit mad today and bought a load of stuff from the craft shop behind Harrol's butcher. My theme for this year is robin's! Got decoupage sets, 2 new stamps, lots of xmas papers and red and gold borders. Made 5 cards tonight:D

lynne duncan
30-Oct-09, 10:45
mum uses the create and craft website a lot

kimmie
01-Nov-09, 11:20
mum uses the create and craft website a lot

I use them too, but they can be slow in sending out the items :(

I do use sirstampalot.co.uk they are very fast in delivery...not been dissapointed with them yet :D
handyhippo is good too.

Tentoes
01-Nov-09, 20:32
BB&C, Kirk Lane ,Wick (behind Harrold's Butchers) have an excellent stock of all you would need and run card making classes at a very reasonable price. Really worth a visit.

ShelleyCowie
01-Nov-09, 21:34
I got a christmas card starter pack today out of argos for £20. Just need to buy some christmas stamps. Got an ink pad but forgot the stamps! :eek:

Anyways it looks simple and has some cute stuff in it!

Vistravi
01-Nov-09, 23:18
It's expensive at time Shelley but worth it. I love making my own cards. It's been the only hobbies that i have had that has stuck this long! Caramel likes doing it too lol. She's always trying to take my die cuts, double sided tape rolls etc and play with them :lol:

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 19:46
It's expensive at time Shelley but worth it. I love making my own cards. It's been the only hobbies that i have had that has stuck this long! Caramel likes doing it too lol. She's always trying to take my die cuts, double sided tape rolls etc and play with them :lol:

I didnt think £20 was that much. :confused Has everything in it. It did come with stamps the blind bat i am!

Vistravi
02-Nov-09, 21:43
I didnt think £20 was that much. :confused Has everything in it. It did come with stamps the blind bat i am!

Nah £20 isnae that much. Its just when you add price for your die cuts, glue, replacement items the cost mounts up.

lol i paid a tenner for a very nice stamp set with 6 ink pads of ebay just last night. :)

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 21:53
Nah £20 isnae that much. Its just when you add price for your die cuts, glue, replacement items the cost mounts up.

lol i paid a tenner for a very nice stamp set with 6 ink pads of ebay just last night. :)

lol well its just Christmas cards am makin! It has enuf for 50 cards which is enuf for me! :Razz

Vistravi
02-Nov-09, 22:23
lol well its just Christmas cards am makin! It has enuf for 50 cards which is enuf for me! :Razz

Ah you may catch the bug and end up like me when any card you make is hand made! :lol:

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 22:32
Ah you may catch the bug and end up like me when any card you make is hand made! :lol:

Lol no chance i dinna have the time for that!

kimmie
20-Nov-09, 21:18
just a thought, you could always cut out last years xmas cards, add some foam pads (maybe a little sparkle), and use them with some ribbon as your toppers...very inexpensive way of doing it and its recycling :D

Vistravi
23-Nov-09, 22:09
Lol no chance i dinna have the time for that!

I find that its very untime consuming except from christmas. I have 23 cards to make and i've only made 4! Got to get my bottom in gear and get them done!

Vistravi
23-Nov-09, 22:13
just a thought, you could always cut out last years xmas cards, add some foam pads (maybe a little sparkle), and use them with some ribbon as your toppers...very inexpensive way of doing it and its recycling :D

I do that with christmas and birthday cards. Its a brilliant way of saving money on card toppers! :)

kimmie
26-Nov-09, 20:35
I do that with christmas and birthday cards. Its a brilliant way of saving money on card toppers! :)
So true, and i just love the way you can alter them with silver and gold pens...flower soft... etc :D

best time to shop in Hobby craft Aberdeen i discovered btw is a monday lunch time...you can actually see the goods down the aisles :lol:

cakaylade
29-Jul-10, 10:23
my family give me all their old cards which i recycle as much as possible including words, etc. i also use a lot of different websites too; ebay, hungry hippo, docrafts, etc