PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Hell's Mouth / Swimming the Pentland Firth

digital02
18-Oct-09, 09:16
BBC 2 7pm Tonight, documentry about guy that tried to swim the Pentland Firth.
It actually took place last year sometime.

Fluff
18-Oct-09, 09:24
Do you know the name of the programme? Just checked on RT, I don't think it is showing in England

golach
18-Oct-09, 09:36
Looks as if it is only being shown on BBC2 Scotland, if you have Sky you should be able to find that channel

tonkatojo
18-Oct-09, 09:56

When you say tried does that mean he didn't make it ?.

Fluff
18-Oct-09, 10:06
I don't have sky, only freeview. Hopefully I will be able to watch it on iplayer

Amy-Winehouse
18-Oct-09, 12:57

Are you serious???? :eek: He must be absolutely mental or seriously mis- guided. I regularly go through the firth in a wee boat & the tide in there is unbelievable some days, I cant quite get my head around the fact anyone would try to swim across it!!!

There are whirlpools , eddys, constant un settled white water, waves, nope I will have to watch this programme-to me this is just suicide . I hope the relevant authorities stopped him

Stavro
18-Oct-09, 14:01
When you say tried does that mean he didn't make it ?.

Well the seamen recognised his feat and gave him a certificate.
Got dark so he couldn't put his feet on terra firma. :(

Quote...

"But I don't regard it as a crossing because I didn't land at the other side. "Now it opens it up for other younger swimmers to take on the challenge."

elamanya
18-Oct-09, 15:04
ive crossed hells gate, now that was a brill ride in a cable car, the thompson river raging below us and salmon jumping as the try to get up the rapids

golach
18-Oct-09, 15:23
Well the seamen recognised his feat and gave him a certificate.
Got dark so he couldn't put his feet on terra firma. :(

Quote...

"But I don't regard it as a crossing because I didn't land at the other side. "Now it opens it up for other younger swimmers to take on the challenge."

Thanks ever so much Stavro......I will not bother watching the programme now [disgust]

Rheghead
18-Oct-09, 16:52
This guy seems like a fellow nutter, gonna watch it all the same. Got a slight bond with anyone doing anything like this atm. I cycled all the way up Devil's Elbow with full panniers from Spittal of Glenshee to Braemar, oh the nightmare....:lol:

Amy-Winehouse
18-Oct-09, 19:35
This guy is mental!!! :D

Dog-eared
18-Oct-09, 19:37
Swimming the pentland f irth now on BBC2

Margaret M.
18-Oct-09, 21:03
"Now it opens it up for other younger swimmers to take on the challenge."

Hey, Rheggie, are you up for it? You won't even need to pack your tent for this one -- piece of cake.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-09, 21:20
I watched it tonight and fair play to the bloke you have to have some metal to attempt that. :eek:

I thought I was very brave this morning because I popped outside to get the washing in without a shirt on. :roll:

Whitewater
18-Oct-09, 21:40
I watched the progamme, it was a great attempt, he was unfortunate that he required the tide to turn to take him west into Duncansbay Head and Groats, it had been pushing him east all the way across, it was his support vessel that advised him to come out of the water. they had been hanging around east of Duncansbay for about half an hour, maybe longer, waiting for the tide to turn, but it did not happen. He had swam the distance, but didn't manage to hit the target. I think he is planning to have another go next year.

Whitewater
18-Oct-09, 21:41
I thought I was very brave this morning because I popped outside to get the washing in without a shirt on. :roll:

You were very brave Kevin, it would have ben too cold for me.

Amy-Winehouse
19-Oct-09, 08:55
Like the guy said, a younger faster swimmer could maybe do it!!!! I never would have thought it possible & it would have to be on the dullest tide of the year & the weather would have to be flat calm like last night(on tv)

But now , one of the last great challenges could be done :eek:

William
19-Oct-09, 12:15
Aww i wish i knew that was on who ever wanted to do that must be keen!

Venture
19-Oct-09, 19:08
I'ts available on BBC iPlayer. If the link below dosen't work, go into categories at the top of the home page and click on Scotland. It's listed on there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/scotland

thebigman
19-Oct-09, 20:51
Never known any locals calling any part of the Firth "Hells Mouth"

William
20-Oct-09, 00:29
I'ts available on BBC iPlayer. If the link below dosen't work, go into categories at the top of the home page and click on Scotland. It's listed on there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/scotland

Thank you i'll watch that tomorrow :Razz

~~Tides~~
20-Oct-09, 20:32
Hell he looks like Phil Collins.