PDA

View Full Version : Freezing cows milk?

ShelleyCowie
17-Oct-09, 16:09
Hello all....

Thats athrun on the cows milk now that he is 1 and we already go through lots of milk. Bought a big 6 pint yesterday and its nearly all gone already so might aswell buy in bulk.

Is it safe too freeze cows milk? If so how long for?

Thanks in advance! :)

unicorn
17-Oct-09, 16:16
From what I can find yes you can but open and take some out first to allow for room for it to expand.

unicorn
17-Oct-09, 16:18
Found this too

Milk can be frozen and thawed in the refrigerator or in cold water, however, it is not recommended since the quality of milk is affected. The milk protein is destabilized and particles may appear floating in the milk. A better solution is to purchase only the amount of milk you can use within a week.

So maybe if for wee one best fresh.

joxville
17-Oct-09, 16:22
I've frozen milk many times with no adverse effects, though I use semi-skimmed. If it's full fat I'd imagine there to be some separation of the proteins and fats etc. so it would need a good shake once thawed. Also it will be yellowish in appearance but it'll go white again when thawed. You may need to decant some of it to another container to allow for expansion, which is about 10%. Hope this helps Shelley.

ShelleyCowie
17-Oct-09, 16:50
Thanks both! Hmm...maybe i would be better just to continue buying the big cartons of milk every 2 days. Dont want to loose the nutrients for the wee one.

Still cant believe how much milk we are going through tho. :eek: At least 200 brews a week for the lot of us, ceral for 5, athruns bottles. :eek: Mental.

davie
17-Oct-09, 17:06
You need to buy a milkan coo Shelley.
Glad to see you have been advised not to freeze the milk - I certainly would not recommend it.

teddybear1873
17-Oct-09, 17:18
Thanks both! Hmm...maybe i would be better just to continue buying the big cartons of milk every 2 days. Dont want to loose the nutrients for the wee one.

Still cant believe how much milk we are going through tho. :eek: At least 200 brews a week for the lot of us, ceral for 5, athruns bottles. :eek: Mental.

I think at the rate your going Shell, your cheaper buying a coo.

dragonfly
17-Oct-09, 17:24
my mother used to freeze milk when it used to be delivered in those wee plastic bags, was ok but it seperated once thawed so looked like curdled milk, tasted fine tho, however that could have been full fat milk

LMS
17-Oct-09, 17:34
I buy the big cartons of milk but always have a small one in the freezer for emergencies. I haven't had any problems with the defrosted milk. I wouldn't want to be using it all the time but very handy for the nights you realise you have no milk for the morning brew.

emszxr
17-Oct-09, 17:49
we buy the full fat milk and goats milk and always freeze it as i buy 2 weeks worth at a time. never had a problem.
i think you not suppose to freeze semi skimmed. but dont count me on that.

badger
17-Oct-09, 20:57
I buy semi-skimmed and always have a few smaller sizes in the freezer - never had a problem with it. Thaw it in the fridge and use like normal, sometimes needs a wee shake. Never noticed the difference between that and fresh.

I freeze lots of things that aren't recommended for freezing but I'm old and tough :roll:. Milk should be fine though. Keep an eye on the date but that applies to most things.

ShelleyCowie
17-Oct-09, 21:08
I think i might freeze some medium sized cartons for myself, my OH and the 2 older boys but continue to buy fresh for Athrun. He has a bad enough reaction to some milks and things so dont want to stir it up!

Thanks all! :D

bettedaviseyes
17-Oct-09, 21:32
yes you can freeze it but i find once it's defrosted it goes a bit watery and the taste goes a bit too:confused

Kodiak
17-Oct-09, 21:39
Personally I can not see any reason to freeze Milk. Milk that you buy usually has a long use by date and on top of that it is sold everywhere and easy to obtain.

There are only two of us and we buy 3 X 6 Pint containers at a time. It never gets out of date and it keeps perfect in the fridge. When we are about half way through the 3rd container we then buy another 3 and these last us about 1 week.

ShelleyCowie
17-Oct-09, 21:52
Personally I can not see any reason to freeze Milk. Milk that you buy usually has a long use by date and on top of that it is sold everywhere and easy to obtain.

There are only two of us and we buy 3 X 6 Pint containers at a time. It never gets out of date and it keeps perfect in the fridge. When we are about half way through the 3rd container we thern buy another 3 and these last us about 1 week.

My fridge will not hold that much milk. I have foods in there for lunches, dinners and snacks for the whole week for 5 people. And its not that large a fridge, its a half fridge - half freezer one. I do have another chest freezer though and thats why i was asking.

As i said i will just continue to do what im doing if there will be any change to the nutrients of the milk. So i did have reason to ask about freezing

piratelassie
18-Oct-09, 00:01
Hello all....

Thats athrun on the cows milk now that he is 1 and we already go through lots of milk. Bought a big 6 pint yesterday and its nearly all gone already so might aswell buy in bulk.

May have missed something here, but who is Athrun that needs al that milk ?

sweetpea
18-Oct-09, 00:48
Shelley, I have been putting milk in the freezer for long enough without effect. I usually do it with 2 pinters. Reason being: staying a way up a hill,lol.

Fran
18-Oct-09, 01:55
I always have some cartons of long life semi skimmed milk in the fridge, comes in handy if you run out of milk, but really handy if you are ill and cant get out to shop.

ShelleyCowie
18-Oct-09, 10:47
May have missed something here, but who is Athrun that needs al that milk ?

Athrun is my 1 year old son. :cool: There is 5 of us that drink milk here, we went through alot anyway but now athrun is off the powder we are going through twice as much.

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 10:47
yes you can freeze it but i find once it's defrosted it goes a bit watery and the taste goes a bit too:confused

Frozen milk [semi and fully skimmed] and honestly never had this problem.

BINBOB
18-Oct-09, 10:49
I think i might freeze some medium sized cartons for myself, my OH and the 2 older boys but continue to buy fresh for Athrun. He has a bad enough reaction to some milks and things so dont want to stir it up!

Thanks all! :D

Hi.....I personally would give athrun fresh ...but as hye may have allergies,why not discuss with health visitor re. soya milk,rice milk,goats milk???

Hope the roast beef tastes great!!!!:lol:

ShelleyCowie
18-Oct-09, 10:53
Hi.....I personally would give athrun fresh ...but as hye may have allergies,why not discuss with health visitor re. soya milk,rice milk,goats milk???

Hope the roast beef tastes great!!!!:lol:

My health visitor seems to be on holiday but im waiting for an appointment with her soon anyways. Me and my OH were thinking about trying goats milk, he seems to be ok on the full fat just now though. We have him on 1 powdered bottle a day, his bedtime feed usually just to make sure its not upsetting his belly.

I hope so too!! I have only made beef once before, im too used to cooking chicken now!! lol

piratelassie
18-Oct-09, 23:24
Athrun is my 1 year old son. :cool: There is 5 of us that drink milk here, we went through alot anyway but now athrun is off the powder we are going through twice as much.

Thanks for info and good luck to Athrun with his milk...:)

Tom Cornwall
18-Oct-09, 23:38
You need to buy a milkan coo Shelley.
Glad to see you have been advised not to freeze the milk - I certainly would not recommend it.

our daughter freezes her milk (well, not her own milk) all the time and no probs ...possibly you're best to use it within the next 10 years or it may not taste as good

Loch not Lock
19-Oct-09, 00:01
Hello all....

Better to kidnap the milkman. Never freeze the milk straight from the cow - your hands can get stuck to the udders. Very nasty!

ShelleyCowie
19-Oct-09, 00:05
Better to kidnap the milkman. Never freeze the milk straight from the cow - your hands can get stuck to the udders. Very nasty!

Lol thats just cheered me right up! [lol] Thanks for the warning though!

Loch not Lock
19-Oct-09, 23:29
Lol thats just cheered me right up! [lol] Thanks for the warning though!
Cheers Shelley. Wear thick woollen gloves in future, even if the milkman objects.