PDA

View Full Version : infringment of human rights.who sets the criteria?

cuddlepop
11-Apr-06, 15:08
aAt the weekend it was reported in the newspapers that a 10year old autistic boy was being taught in a store cupboard;while a porta cabinwas lying unused outside for him to be taught in.
The said unit cost £50000 to purchase specificaly for him to be safely taught in while not causing upset to him or others.The dispute appeared to be about the instalation of padded walls and special two way glass.It was reported that the school board deemed it a infringment of his human rights,surely being taught in a store cupboard is too.
While they argue over this the boy has been removed and is staying at home.
It is suppose to be every childs right to be educated ,is this not another infringment?
Whether you agree on inclusion or not is not the point of this thread its who decideds an infringment occurs.
If the pupil was asked i bet he'd say he'd rather be in schol,special glass and all.[evil]

fred
11-Apr-06, 17:52
aAt the weekend it was reported in the newspapers that a 10year old autistic boy was being taught in a store cupboard;while a porta cabinwas lying unused outside for him to be taught in.
The said unit cost £50000 to purchase specificaly for him to be safely taught in while not causing upset to him or others.The dispute appeared to be about the instalation of padded walls and special two way glass.It was reported that the school board deemed it a infringment of his human rights,surely being taught in a store cupboard is too.
While they argue over this the boy has been removed and is staying at home.
It is suppose to be every childs right to be educated ,is this not another infringment?
Whether you agree on inclusion or not is not the point of this thread its who decideds an infringment occurs.
If the pupil was asked i bet he'd say he'd rather be in schol,special glass and all.[evil]

It was the child being taught in a cupboard which was an infingement of his rights not the portacabin which isn't ready for use yet.

It is the courts that decide if an infringement occurs, in this case the courts could decide that the child who is disabled isn't recieving equal treatment to a child who isn't disabled which would be discrimination just the same as if a black child didn't get equal treatment to a white child or a girl didn't get equal treatment to a boy.

cuddlepop
11-Apr-06, 21:00
Thanks fot that Fred.I read the story and took it to mean it was what was needing to be done to the portacabin that was infringing his rights.Talk about ambiguous reporting,
Inclusion is difficult to achieve as someone alwas is excluded in one way or another:roll:

goldenguernsey
12-Apr-06, 00:04
What a shame for this little lad, was the cupboard within the classroom do you know? If so I tend to feel as if maybe the teachers were doing their best and the laddie didn't feel excluded or cut off from his classmates.
If it was a cupboard in a corridor or passage way then that's something else but surely his teachers were still trying to do their best for him??? I hope when he returns to school for lessons in the portacabin he is not the only child in there, that would be so sad for him, he could still have one to one tuition even if there were other kiddies alongside him.