PDA

View Full Version : Bios

shazzap
16-Oct-09, 22:11
Mt daughter has some how lost her wireless settings. I have tried to restore them in several ways but it all seems to point to the bios setting The help section told me to go into the bios settings find the wireless section save and then exit. the problem is i could not find the wireless settings in the bios so cannot solve the problem. She also keeps getting a blue screen on start up which says something about the bios. Any ideas please.

dx100uk
17-Oct-09, 00:12
lost her wireless settings on what?
the laptop?
or the router?

there are not very often any settings related to wireless in the bios, other than sometimes on/off.

now the bios error screen,
give us a clue what it says or else we're blind to help.

dx

shazzap
18-Oct-09, 00:31
lost her wireless settings on what?
the laptop?
or the router?

there are not very often any settings related to wireless in the bios, other than sometimes on/off.

now the bios error screen,
give us a clue what it says or else we're blind to help.

dx

The on/off settings are what i need, but i don't know how to find them in Bios. It is the laptop that has lost it's wireless.
I can't remember everything the error screen said but remember Bios mentioned.

Thank you for your reply.

M R
18-Oct-09, 01:52
There may be an option in the Bios to enable or disable the network adaptor\card, if this has been disabled then your internet is not going to work. Other setting that are common-ish in bios are boot from lan, which is normallly disabled (and should be) for a home user.

To get into the Bios press the delete key (normally, could be F2 or other key) when booting up. NOT advised for home user.

Get the laptop, boot it up again and write down the exact error's that you are getting, that way the people here can help you more effectively.

RecQuery
18-Oct-09, 12:54
Okay, I'd answer the question about the error message, anyway this might not be the solution but it sounds like it. It was also help if you included the type and model of laptop.

Anyway

Check the sides of the laptop for a switch, change its position and then try to connect.
Check the front and top of the laptop for a special key separate from the keyboard, press the button then try to connect.
Check the keyboard for any keys that are also blue, or a different colour. You're looking for an 'Fn' and a key (usually in the bottom left) and a key that looks like a radio tower (its usually along the top). If you find them hold down the Fn key then while holding it tap the radio tower key then try to connect.

There might also be a status display to give feedback or depending there may be on screen feedback also. I'd wait about 30 seconds after turning it on, see if it connects automatically if not search for networks to see if its worked.

Leanne
18-Oct-09, 13:00
The other thing you can do is try resetting the actual router itself. Sometimes there is a pin button, other times a combination button press - your manual will tell you - you then need to set your password again. Go "online" to configure the settings - look on the router and there should be an IP address - usually something like 192.168.0.1 or something similar. If you type this into the address bar you should go to an website looking page - find the security section and input your new password.

This complete reset usually sorts most problems out - if it doesn't I'm at a loss :(

shazzap
18-Oct-09, 13:18
Okay, I'd answer the question about the error message, anyway this might not be the solution but it sounds like it. It was also help if you included the type and model of laptop.

Anyway

Check the sides of the laptop for a switch, change its position and then try to connect.
Check the front and top of the laptop for a special key separate from the keyboard, press the button then try to connect.
Check the keyboard for any keys that are also blue, or a different colour. You're looking for an 'Fn' and a key (usually in the bottom left) and a key that looks like a radio tower (its usually along the top). If you find them hold down the Fn key then while holding it tap the radio tower key then try to connect.
There might also be a status display to give feedback or depending there may be on screen feedback also. I'd wait about 30 seconds after turning it on, see if it connects automatically if not search for networks to see if its worked.

Thank you for reply but i know all that. it is none of the above

shazzap
18-Oct-09, 13:24
I know that the wireless has been turned off some how in the laptop its self.

I am sure it needs turning on in the Bios, but when i went into the Bios could not see a link to turn it back on.
This is my daughters laptop so will have to ask her about the error screen again, but what i remember of it was that the Bios was mentioned

dx100uk
18-Oct-09, 13:25
what is the laptop please

dx

matelot79
18-Oct-09, 14:47

Better still what is the operating system.

pinklips
18-Oct-09, 15:50
Sorry wrong thread.

shazzap
18-Oct-09, 16:04

dx Compaq

Better still what is the operating system. Vista

M R
18-Oct-09, 16:39
What is this elusive error message and when does it occur, on intial boot up or as windows is starting ?

This is key to trouble shooting this for you. Pretty much chocolate ashtray with out it.

Not convinced the problem is in the bios, unless someone has been in there changing settings ?

matelot79
18-Oct-09, 16:42
Vista

What happens when you click on start and connect to, does your wireless network show up there.
Have you been into network and sharing center and made sure that network discovery is turned on.
Have you tried to reset your network adaptor (maybe even have to do it a couple of times.)

dx100uk
18-Oct-09, 22:56
Compaq

so are 17.5M other laptops!
from the bottom label please
model number etc

then we can help.

dx

Leanne
19-Oct-09, 13:16
You tried what I suggested?

shazzap
19-Oct-09, 15:05
The other thing you can do is try resetting the actual router itself. Sometimes there is a pin button, other times a combination button press - your manual will tell you - you then need to set your password again. Go "online" to configure the settings - look on the router and there should be an IP address - usually something like 192.168.0.1 or something similar. If you type this into the address bar you should go to an website looking page - find the security section and input your new password.

This complete reset usually sorts most problems out - if it doesn't I'm at a loss :( Done all that Thanks Leanne.

What is this elusive error message and when does it occur, on intial boot up or as windows is starting ?

This is key to trouble shooting this for you. Pretty much chocolate ashtray with out it.

Not convinced the problem is in the bios, unless someone has been in there changing settings ? Will tell my daughter to look at the message when she next uses laptop thank you.

shazzap
19-Oct-09, 15:06
so are 17.5M other laptops!
from the bottom label please
model number etc

then we can help.

dx

Will have to wait until my daughter gets home, as i said it is not my laptop. Thank you.

shazzap
19-Oct-09, 15:07
What happens when you click on start and connect to, does your wireless network show up there.
Have you been into network and sharing center and made sure that network discovery is turned on.
Have you tried to reset your network adaptor (maybe even have to do it a couple of times.)

Done all that, thank you.