PDA

View Full Version : DSS / council housing

Stefan
16-Oct-09, 10:52
My foster daughter is thinking of moving to Caithness. She is living on her own down south. Being heavily pregnant and out of work the has to claim benefits for a while until the baby is old enough and she can get back into education/work.
We have inquired about a couple places to rent and were categorically told they don't accept people on benefits because the council is unreliable.

I would appreciate if people could share their experience and any tips on how to find a nice place to stay up here for my daughter whilst she is having her baby.

If anybody has a 2 bedroom place to let in or around Thurso or Halkirk I would be delighted to hear from them.

Phoebus_Apollo
16-Oct-09, 12:07
My foster daughter is thinking of moving to Caithness. She is living on her own down south. Being heavily pregnant and out of work the has to claim benefits for a while until the baby is old enough and she can get back into education/work.
We have inquired about a couple places to rent and were categorically told they don't accept people on benefits because the council is unreliable.

I would appreciate if people could share their experience and any tips on how to find a nice place to stay up here for my daughter whilst she is having her baby.

If anybody has a 2 bedroom place to let in or around Thurso or Halkirk I would be delighted to hear from them.

A good place to start : http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/rent.php

annemarie482
16-Oct-09, 16:20
she'll have to go on the council waiting list or a council house, being pregnant she should get one fairly quick. most private rents wont accept dss.

EDDIE
16-Oct-09, 17:02

I would not say unreliable more to much hasstle.
Why doesnt your daughter just move up and move in with u for a little while then apply for a council house and then that way she will jump to the top of the que

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 17:20
I would not say unreliable more to much hasstle.
Why doesnt your daughter just move up and move in with u for a little while then apply for a council house and then that way she will jump to the top of the que

I don't know if it works differently up here but in England if you are living with relatives or friends you are classed as "housed" and go to the bottom of the list :( My friend refused to take up my offer of a roof for this reason when her house got reposessed. She declared herself homeless and they put her in a homeless shelter for 6 months until a house became available - this is with a child of 5 and an 18 month old!

Stefan
16-Oct-09, 18:43
I would not say unreliable more to much hassle.

I would put her up if I had a room for her but I am already sleeping in the lounge myself because we are a bedroom short. Sure we could squeeze her in somehow but that wouldn't be much fun with a baby for any longer than a few weeks.

Where do we need to go to apply for council housing ?

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 19:16
Life is tough isn't it, how about the father of the child pitching in paying and putting her up or his parents footing the bill instead of the tax payer, yet again.

I find it hard to believe how this site can discuss ways of trying to pay for yet another single pregnant 17 year old. :confused. even if she says she wants to work in a while, where is my question, there,s no jobs up here.

sjr014
16-Oct-09, 19:21
she'll have to go on the council waiting list or a council house, being pregnant she should get one fairly quick. most private rents wont accept dss.

Dont mean to sound bad or really mean but local folk have to wait ages for a council house but for some it is so easy just get pregnant and move on up!

sweetpea
16-Oct-09, 19:23
Life is tough isn't it, how about the father of the child pitching in paying and putting her up or his parents footing the bill instead of the tax payer, yet again.

I find it hard to believe how this site can discuss ways of trying to pay for yet another single pregnant 17 year old. :confused. even if she says she wants to work in a while, where is my question, there,s no jobs up here.

I was just about to post in a similar way. Where is he? He should be working and paying for his family.
It's too easy up here to get a house, in England it would be a hostel. Roll on the propsed homes for young mums.

Stefan
16-Oct-09, 19:52

First of all it is none of anybodies business who the father is. What if this young woman had been abused and was now pregnant? What if the father got killed in an accident? What if "putting her up" wasn't an issue but moral support?
Nobodies place to judge, not even mine!

And who ever said she was single and 17 ??? And who ever said she wanted to be up here when the time came to work? Lots of assumptions !!!

Dont mean to sound bad or really mean but local folk have to wait ages for a council house but for some it is so easy just get pregnant and move on up!

Now that IS bad. Anybody is local who lives up here or wants to live up here. Never heard anybody in Liverpool or London moaning about "locals" and their rights over "non locals". Getting and being pregnant and taking responsibility for a new life for the rest of your own life is not "EASY" and not taken lightly by many folk!

I was just about to post in a similar way. Where is he? He should be working and paying for his family.
It's too easy up here to get a house, in England it would be a hostel. Roll on the propsed homes for young mums.

It is none of your or my business where "he is", other than accepting that he is not here right now and might never be. Children are our future. We should be more considerate around mums to be and pay a hell of a lot more respect. I understand there are very young women getting pregnant for the sake of claiming benefits. But we can't just assume that every young woman who is pregnant and in a difficult position is milking the system.

If it is so easy to get a house here than what is the problem?

teddybear1873
16-Oct-09, 20:04
Dear dear.

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 20:06
First of all it is none of anybodies business who the father is. What if this young woman had been abused and was now pregnant? What if the father got killed in an accident? What if "putting her up" wasn't an issue but moral support?
Nobodies place to judge, not even mine!

And who ever said she was single and 17 ??? And who ever said she wanted to be up here when the time came to work? Lots of assumptions !!!

Now that IS bad. Anybody is local who lives up here or wants to live up here. Never heard anybody in Liverpool or London moaning about "locals" and their rights over "non locals". Getting and being pregnant and taking responsibility for a new life for the rest of your own life is not "EASY" and not taken lightly by many folk!

It is none of your or my business where "he is", other than accepting that he is not here right now and might never be. Children are our future. We should be more considerate around mums to be and pay a hell of a lot more respect. I understand there are very young women getting pregnant for the sake of claiming benefits. But we can't just assume that every young woman who is pregnant and in a difficult position is milking the system.

You make a good argument for her, I was wrong about stating 17 and single, but that is neither here or there, if you feel so strongly you pay and put her up out of your pocket.
This "children are our future" and mums to be doesn't wash. I have heard the likes too much and do not agree, perhaps the system gets to much abuse for people to care as you do, the adage if you cant pay for them don't have them comes to mind.
I accept there will be exceptions but without the facts to go on as you seem to be aware of ,I will stand by my statement.

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 20:08
Dear dear.

Was that "Dear dear" what a shame or OH dear dear, ?. ;)

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 20:19
And who ever said she was single and 17 ???

You did I believe - you said she is living alone (single?). You are right about people judging - she could have had a bad time of it. But surely if she had you would have at least said she had had a bad time (without necessarily going into details) but you didn't you just said she was alone and unemployed, but willing to work when the child is old enough.

Yes people have been harsh but it is an emotive topic, especially in these times. A bit of clarification in the first point would have avoided all the messiness. If you wanted information without criticism maybe you should have asked the housing association?

I hope she manages to get herself sorted :)

Kodiak
16-Oct-09, 20:45
If you would like correct and Impartial information of the position of Housing, I would suggest that you pay a visit to CAB on Monday. They could give you all the necessary information that you require with no criticism.

roadbowler
16-Oct-09, 20:59
10,000 people on waiting list for housing in the highlands and probably half the current stock of housing going to need major replacement or refurbished within a decade. Not to mention our planning bureaucrats in their infinite wisdom hamper and hassle every effort people make to home themselves. Housing an ugly business up here. Hope your daughter finds something Stefan!

Vistravi
16-Oct-09, 21:07

You're absoultely right Stefan!
Children are the future and so many people just don't see this. It's not easy being pregnant and single and you're daughter is doing well and it's only natural that she wants to be closer to her family. I certainly would in her position.
Good luck to her on getting a house/flat. It is not as easy as what a few people have made out it is.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 21:09
You're absoultely right Stefan!
Children are the future and so many people just don't see this. It's not easy being pregnant and single and you're daughter is doing well and it's only natural that she wants to be closer to her family. I certainly would in her position.
Good luck to her on getting a house/flat. It is not as easy as what a few people have made out it is.

Nice post :) Well said :)

Stefan
16-Oct-09, 21:47
If you would like correct and Impartial information of the position of Housing, I would suggest that you pay a visit to CAB on Monday. They could give you all the necessary information that you require with no criticism.

I think I will do that. I would like to thank all the people who have sent me a private message with useful information and support.

I never had any intention of sharing with anybody what this young girl went through in her life as it has nothing to do with the topic. Being a previously fostered young person life has been hard enough for her. I may add that she lived with us between the age of 11 and 13 and we are the only people who care about her out of the many foster carers she had in her life. I don't even count the ones who got de-registered for life because they abused children in their care including the young woman we are talking about here.

To the person who suggested I should put her up and pay for her, well, I shall do that to my best ability, bearing in mind she is one of many children I have fostered. I have children of my own and many foster children and I am not able to pay for all of them when they need help. They are being dropped by the system at 18 and left to their own devices. Many of them struggle and have no family to go back to other than their foster carers whilst many foster carers simply don't care about the young people when the money stops at 18.

I am often told I am too soft, I care too much about them. Well, I do, they are all part of my family and always will be, but my financial abilities are limited. I don't have the heart to drop them at 18 and replace them with other children because it pays better...

Who wants to judge me for caring too much and helping a young mum who is in a difficult situation because she decided to have this baby. She was at Uni when she fell pregnant and hates being on benefits. But I am sure the people who make assumptions and dislike pregnant women on benefits will find something negative about being at uni...

I have never claimed benefits even when I would have been entitled to it, and I hope I never have to, but I would never judge a person who does claim benefits. Of course there are people out there who base their life on being entitled to benefits rather than going out to work, but even that is not for me to judge even if I don't agree with it.

Being a foster parent means commitment and understanding even if I don't always agree with what my kids do. Some of it is due to their past, some due to a lack of stability, some due to simply being stupid teenagers.

Only a very small percentage of children in care will go to University after they have left care. I am proud of who this young woman is and what she has achieved despite a lot of adversity in her life. Her motto is "Look forward, never look back."

I will be a very proud foster granddad and I am sure there are people out there who will understand that she wants to be near the only people in her life who care until she has grown into her new role as a mum. Hopefully we will find her a place to stay. She has a nice place down south but there is absolutely nobody who will lend her moral and practical support with her baby. It's not her fault that we decided to move to Caithness.

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 22:12
Very humbling Stefan - we could all learn something from your caring nature :)

dietcokegirl
16-Oct-09, 22:15
I agree with Leanne, well done Stefan.

BRIE
16-Oct-09, 22:17
very well said Stefan.Some people on here are far to quick to judge! & this thread was asking about housing not views on teenage pregnancies.

Vistravi
16-Oct-09, 22:23
With you for support Stefan she will be fine ;)

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 22:44
No doubt she will be OK thanks to the system, and as stated so far, no thanks to the father.
As long as it's easy peasey to obtain all the benefits these from the pot, single parents will be around evermore, albeit the unpreventable ones should have help. But distinguishing them forever will be a problem, hence the sentimental pity from some.

tonkatojo
16-Oct-09, 22:46
10,000 people on waiting list for housing in the highlands and probably half the current stock of housing going to need major replacement or refurbished within a decade. Not to mention our planning bureaucrats in their infinite wisdom hamper and hassle every effort people make to home themselves. Housing an ugly business up here. Hope your daughter finds something Stefan!

10,001 soon to be, and no doubt increasing by the day. :(

unicorn
16-Oct-09, 22:57
What's that old saying again?? Let he without sin cast the first stone.
Seems a lot of people here have had charmed lives and never found themselves in a spot of bother or made an unfortunate mistake or just had plain bad luck.
I hope all those who slate this girl continue with their lucky lives, I really do.
Well done Stefan for having a heart.

shazzap
16-Oct-09, 23:00
Bryan Ferry song.
Walk a mile in my shoes.

purplelady
16-Oct-09, 23:38
I don't know if it works differently up here but in England if you are living with relatives or friends you are classed as "housed" and go to the bottom of the list :( My friend refused to take up my offer of a roof for this reason when her house got reposessed. She declared herself homeless and they put her in a homeless shelter for 6 months until a house became available - this is with a child of 5 and an 18 month old!
i was homeless last year dur to having to sell my home and was housed within weeks x

Stefan
16-Oct-09, 23:56
No doubt she will be OK thanks to the system, and as stated so far, no thanks to the father.

"The system" removed her from her mum and put her into the care of a person who abused this young woman leaving life long scars. Then moved her 7 more times from carer to carer to avoid people asking too many questions.

THAT very system owes this young woman a protected childhood, emotional stability and a family she can rely on.

All she is asking for is a place to live for a couple of years.

I believe that is a small favour to ask from "the system".

Bazeye
17-Oct-09, 00:17
Of course there are people out there who base their life on being entitled to benefits rather than going out to work,

That appears to be the crux of the matter and some people are tarring your foster daughter with the same brush as these underclass. Probably the recent posts on the Wick "mafia" have made some folks minds up about her as well. Anyway hope everything ends up ok.

crayola
17-Oct-09, 00:31
I think I will do that. I would like to thank all the people who have sent me a private message with useful information and support.

I never had any intention of sharing with anybody what this young girl went through in her life as it has nothing to do with the topic. Being a previously fostered young person life has been hard enough for her. I may add that she lived with us between the age of 11 and 13 and we are the only people who care about her out of the many foster carers she had in her life. I don't even count the ones who got de-registered for life because they abused children in their care including the young woman we are talking about here.

To the person who suggested I should put her up and pay for her, well, I shall do that to my best ability, bearing in mind she is one of many children I have fostered. I have children of my own and many foster children and I am not able to pay for all of them when they need help. They are being dropped by the system at 18 and left to their own devices. Many of them struggle and have no family to go back to other than their foster carers whilst many foster carers simply don't care about the young people when the money stops at 18.

I am often told I am too soft, I care too much about them. Well, I do, they are all part of my family and always will be, but my financial abilities are limited. I don't have the heart to drop them at 18 and replace them with other children because it pays better...

Who wants to judge me for caring too much and helping a young mum who is in a difficult situation because she decided to have this baby. She was at Uni when she fell pregnant and hates being on benefits. But I am sure the people who make assumptions and dislike pregnant women on benefits will find something negative about being at uni...

I have never claimed benefits even when I would have been entitled to it, and I hope I never have to, but I would never judge a person who does claim benefits. Of course there are people out there who base their life on being entitled to benefits rather than going out to work, but even that is not for me to judge even if I don't agree with it.

Being a foster parent means commitment and understanding even if I don't always agree with what my kids do. Some of it is due to their past, some due to a lack of stability, some due to simply being stupid teenagers.

Only a very small percentage of children in care will go to University after they have left care. I am proud of who this young woman is and what she has achieved despite a lot of adversity in her life. Her motto is "Look forward, never look back."

I will be a very proud foster granddad and I am sure there are people out there who will understand that she wants to be near the only people in her life who care until she has grown into her new role as a mum. Hopefully we will find her a place to stay. She has a nice place down south but there is absolutely nobody who will lend her moral and practical support with her baby. It's not her fault that we decided to move to Caithness.That's quite a post Stefan. I've been supporting a young lassie in a similar position who chose to terminate her pregnancy. This happened before I knew her but I know how hard it is to deal with the aftermath.

Bazeye
17-Oct-09, 00:40
Stefan, why didnt you claim benefits when you were entitled to them?

Metalattakk
17-Oct-09, 01:02

Is she not already in a place where she can live for a couple of years?

Stefan
17-Oct-09, 08:09
Stefan, why didnt you claim benefits when you were entitled to them?

Because I chose to fight. Maybe I am too proud.
And I was lucky enough to be able to borrow some money and pay it back.

Stefan
17-Oct-09, 08:11
Is she not already in a place where she can live for a couple of years?

Yes she has. 600 miles away from anybody she could trust who would lend moral and practical support.

Fluff
17-Oct-09, 09:08
So, tonkatojo (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=7608)in your opinion should a woman who has fallen pregnant (now lets say, by accident, not trying for a council house etc) and the man wants nothing to do with it, she should have a termination? Or she has the baby and due to no space at home, should be living on the streets or maybe in a squat?

It is very easy to judge and so bloody easy to tar everyone with the same brush. So please don't.

tonkatojo
17-Oct-09, 10:34
So, tonkatojo (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=7608)in your opinion should a woman who has fallen pregnant (now lets say, by accident, not trying for a council house etc) and the man wants nothing to do with it, she should have a termination? Or she has the baby and due to no space at home, should be living on the streets or maybe in a squat?

It is very easy to judge and so bloody easy to tar everyone with the same brush. So please don't.

It would appear that with more info this girl/young woman falls into the category that is definitely entitled to help, which she will get or is currently getting, it is the thousands of others who are not in that category what cause the sentiment I showed without the info. Family planning comes to mind, god knows its drummed into kids these days, safe sex and the free condoms/contraception available to them these circumstances should be rare, not the norm.

tonkatojo
17-Oct-09, 10:48

You don't think I am going to fall for those leading questions do you, but I will say these so called accidents could be prevented with appropriate contraception by both partners, pill and condom or implants spring to mind. ;)

PS highlighting my user name is a bit childish, it is there to be seen from the outset.

shazzap
17-Oct-09, 13:01
"The system" removed her from her mum and put her into the care of a person who abused this young woman leaving life long scars. Then moved her 7 more times from carer to carer to avoid people asking too many questions.

THAT very system owes this young woman a protected childhood, emotional stability and a family she can rely on.

I believe that is a small favour to ask from "the system".

Stefan you do not have to justify yourself or the young lady to anyone on here.:)

Fluff
17-Oct-09, 13:30
But mistakes and accidents can and do happen.

I didn't mean to highlight your user name, I just copied and pasted it to make sure it was spelt right.

Mrs Bucket
17-Oct-09, 16:24
The word scroungers springs to mind

Stefan
17-Oct-09, 17:27
...but I will say these so called accidents could be prevented with appropriate contraception by both partners, pill and condom or implants spring to mind. ;)
A woman I know had two planned children, then started taking the pill. She got pregnant and her GP blamed some other medication she was taking. After her third child she changed to a different pill that wouldn't be affected by the medication she has to take. She fell pregnant again.
After the 4th child she decided to get sterilized. 18 month later she fell pregnant again.
After that her partner got sterilized as well....

Don't ever tell me contraception works. It might work in most cases and believe you me, I tell all my kids about it and hand out condoms but it is not a 100% guarantee.

This baby will be the second unplanned accidental grandchild I am going to have.... due to failed contraception... aren't I a lucky man ??? ;)

catran
17-Oct-09, 18:59
Very humbling Stefan - we could all learn something from your caring nature :)

Well said, Leanne what a caring gentleman. It is great to hear of one so involved and concerned for all his foster children and how they keep in touch after all those years. Keep up the good work Stefan.

tonkatojo
17-Oct-09, 19:42
A woman I know had two planned children, then started taking the pill. She got pregnant and her GP blamed some other medication she was taking. After her third child she changed to a different pill that wouldn't be affected by the medication she has to take. She fell pregnant again.
After the 4th child she decided to get sterilized. 18 month later she fell pregnant again.
After that her partner got sterilized as well....

Don't ever tell me contraception works. It might work in most cases and believe you me, I tell all my kids about it and hand out condoms but it is not a 100% guarantee.

This baby will be the second unplanned accidental grandchild I am going to have.... due to failed contraception... aren't I a lucky man ??? ;)

I think you are not far off being a living saint, albeit an unlucky one. ;)

And with contraception well I will say no more.

sjr014
17-Oct-09, 20:25

I never said being responsible for a child was easy but being a single parent trust me i know all about that! But the difference is that i while pregnant and following went out and earned my keep to pay my own rent. And yes others may view my opinion as bad but frankly i like everyone else on a public forum am entitled to an opinion! And it is not something that every1 will agree with but hey ho i can live with that!

ciderally
17-Oct-09, 21:08
good luck stefan to you and your daughter...get her up here,and get her on the council list....xx