PDA

View Full Version : Pet Eating Feces, Food Additive?

Gizmo
15-Oct-09, 13:49
I'm hoping you of you fine Orgers can help me out.

Does anyone know the name of the product that can be added to a pets food that deters it from eating it's own feces?, the vet told me about a product, but he couldn't remember the name of it, i also telephoned Pets At Home, but they couldn't help. I found a product online called "For-Bid", but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK, any help will be greatly appreciated as i'm kinda desperate to get a hold of something.

neepnipper
15-Oct-09, 14:20
This is called Coprophagia, if its their own poo they're eating you can add pineapple chunks to their food, by the time it comes out the other end it tastes vile to the dog and stops them eating the poo.

Gizmo
15-Oct-09, 14:35
This is called Coprophagia, if its their own poo they're eating you can add pineapple chunks to their food, by the time it comes out the other end it tastes vile to the dog and stops them eating the poo.

It's not actually for a dog, it's for a cat, old Gizmo is in failing health and is always hungry, which is made even worse by the steroid injection he gets each fortnight, he basically gets no nutrition from the food he eats, and mainly during the night he's taken to eating his poo when i'm not available to feed him :(

dragonfly
15-Oct-09, 14:50
pineapple added to their food definately works, 2 of mine did it and stopped after I started feeding them all with pineapple

there is also a food bowl you can get which is designed to slow down their eating - I looked at it but it was very expensive compared to normal bowls

http://www.dfordog.com/acatalog/ergonomic_dog_bowls.html

BINBOB
15-Oct-09, 15:51
pineapple added to their food definately works, 2 of mine did it and stopped after I started feeding them all with pineapple

there is also a food bowl you can get which is designed to slow down their eating - I looked at it but it was very expensive compared to normal bowls

http://www.dfordog.com/acatalog/ergonomic_dog_bowls.html

Yes..pineapples are good for that.

Thanx for this site..very good.Just ordered a soft headcollar for phoebe basset as she is being spayed on 27th .I have hated these plastic collars at vets for years,so this looks like a good alternative.Very soft and they can sleep with it on.;)

Gizmo
15-Oct-09, 17:37
Pineapple?..huh!...aw well. i'll certainly give it a try, Giz eats like a flaming horse, and will pretty much wolf down anything, so i'm sure he will have no problem eating some Pineapple mixed in with his food, it's feeding time at the zoo just now, so i'll try it out.

Thanks guys

Thumper
15-Oct-09, 17:47
Grapefruit skin is good too,they like to eat it in food but when it comes through to the poo they arent so keen :eek: x

Gizmo
15-Oct-09, 18:03
Well, you could tell that he knew there was something different in his bowl, he hummed and hawed over it for about 30 secs before he decided that hunger was more important than taste, and the 5 chopped up Pineapple chunks got wolfed down, i just wonder how all the natural sugar in the Pineapple will affect his digestive system. If it does stop him eating his poo then i think i'll have to try him on fresh, rather than tinned Pineapple.

BINBOB
15-Oct-09, 18:37
Well, you could tell that he knew there was something different in his bowl, he hummed and hawed over it for about 30 secs before he decided that hunger was more important than taste, and the 5 chopped up Pineapple chunks got wolfed down, i just wonder how all the natural sugar in the Pineapple will affect his digestive system. If it does stop him eating his poo then i think i'll have to try him on fresh, rather than tinned Pineapple.

Well done...hope he is ok.:D

Gizmo
16-Oct-09, 12:06
Well, the Pineapple didn't work, i'm just wondering if the old fella has lost his sense of taste?, he is nearly 20yrs old, so it could be a possibility :(

Thumper
16-Oct-09, 13:00
It may be that the steroids are making him so hungry he doesnt care what he eats as long as he gets something? May be worth asking the vet what they would do x

Liz
16-Oct-09, 13:38
I think that pineapples only stop dogs from eating poo and, as you say,the sugar may not be good for the old boy.

There is a product called Nzymes which is really good. Can't get onto the website for some reason but there is a phone no you could try. http://www.ukpets.co.uk/ukp/adwebpages/comdir1_13_2380.php