PDA

View Full Version : Car Of The Future

The Oracle
15-Oct-09, 12:54
With General Motors recent troubles, I wonder what the future of this car will be?

http://www.vauxhallampera.co.uk/english/

It has been tipped as the first serious, mass produced, electric vehicle to be available.

Has anyone read if this technology is going to Canada, Germany or the UK with the split up of the company?

Leanne
15-Oct-09, 13:02
40 miles at normal speed - 240 miles on "economy". Hmmm and it takes 8 hours to charge??? What happens if you want to go to Glasgow and back?

I don't consider electric cars to be ecologically friendly. Carbon emissions are still given during the electricity generation... There is a new hydro cell that has been invented by two UK inventors. The hydro battery can power a small car for about 30 minutes so far... I can't find the flaming article on it though :(

That's nothing though - there is now a car that can fly. It can do 99mph in flight mode (not sure about drive mode) and can travel 240 miles in flight mode on a tank of petrol.

God my brain isn't working right on these painkillers. All the info but can't get my head straight to back it up with cold hard data lol

The Oracle
15-Oct-09, 13:21
40 miles at normal speed - 240 miles on "economy". Hmmm and it takes 8 hours to charge??? What happens if you want to go to Glasgow and back?

The demo shows that the car will run on battery only for 40 Miles, after that the combustion engine takes over to keep the car going for a further 310 Miles.

The combustion engine powers the battery drive and also recharges the battery and does this more efficiently than driving the wheels from this engine would do.

After 350 miles I assume that you just fuel up and away you go again!

The cost when the combustion engine is powering everything is 6 pence per mile!

The Oracle
15-Oct-09, 13:29
For Hydrogen powered cars, this one seems to be the most advanced,

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

However it can only be leased, in California (I think) at the moment.

The point with hydrogen is how long it would take to have a national supply network.

Also the cost of producing it is also expensive and not ecologically friendly!

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Oct-09, 13:32
Could be the C5.

redeyedtreefrog
15-Oct-09, 14:07

Take the train.

I don't consider electric cars to be ecologically friendly. Carbon emissions are still given during the electricity generation...
Please don't do a Clarkson. Even if you get your electricity from coal, it's significantly less emissions than a filthy petrol engine.

Anyone remotely interested in electric cars should watch "Who Killed The Electric Car?". It's an amazing film, and made me significantly more hateful of that idiot George Bush [evil].

Gronnuck
15-Oct-09, 14:44
:roll: Call me cynical but I can't see any country which has an oil based economy or any of the oil conglomerates allowing the development of any form of transport that will use anything other than an oil based fuel.
We've had hydrogen fuel cells from the 1950s. We've had electric motors. We've even had compressed air but to no avail. Nah they've got us over a barrel and they know it!