PDA

View Full Version : Freeview and interference

Sandra
15-Oct-09, 12:42
I have recently had freeview installed (about a month or so ago). We had a wideband aerial and a booster installed. At the time of installation we were told we might get a bit of interference if for instance the weather is really bad, the washing machine is going (?????) or a motorbike goes past (?????).

Anyway, it was working fine until about a couple of weeks ago and now we are just getting interference pretty much all the time. The picture freezes and pixilates, sometimes we lose the sound.

On a TV without a set-top box, there are just lines but the pictures do not freeze nor do we lose the sound.

We think the strong winds may have moved the aerial. Is it worth going back to the installer to ask them to check the aerial?

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what it might be?

Liz
15-Oct-09, 12:56
You will get interference from time to time but should only be weather related if you have a good freeview box.

I take it your aerial is outside in which case it may have moved so you should get the installer back.

Have you tried unplugging the box for a few minutes to let it reboot?

It does sound like there is interference on your TV signal though if you are getting lines on your TV as well.

I am no expert but wonder why you needed a booster. Do you live in an area with a very poor Freeview signal?

Liz
15-Oct-09, 12:58
Just a thought but did they replace the cable at the same time as fitting your aerial?

When I got my wideband aerial installed I was still having problems with Freeview so got them to come back and it turned out there was 'join' way down the cable and when they replaced this it was fine.

Good luck!

celtic88chick
15-Oct-09, 13:21
My brother's old freeview used to be like that, he couldn't get bbc three at all, the picture was totally scrambled with no sound. I don't remember what other channels were like this but i remember that because his room was at the front of the house, everytime a car or a bus or whatever would pass by the house, whatever channel he was watching would scramble and he would lose the channel for about 30 seconds. In the end he got a new tv with freeview built in an its so much better.

Sandra
15-Oct-09, 20:38
Thanks for your posts. Have sent Liz a pm.

Think I will ask the installers to come back first, and then investigate getting a newer set-top box.