lotsoflovelorraine
14-Oct-09, 22:52
Hi

after some advice from the org

planning new windows & doors in my house just wondering who u would recommend

thx :)

Kodiak
14-Oct-09, 23:21
You should have posted this in Recommendations, here is the link where you can find this section :-

http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Tristan
15-Oct-09, 07:00
Cairngorm. The two lads from Dunbeath who do their installation are great.

upolian
15-Oct-09, 09:37
sinclair windows in wick! aftersales is excellent,salesman is very friendly,good quality windows,excellent prices,give them a phone you wont be disapointed ;)

dietcokegirl
15-Oct-09, 09:52
I had a extremely bad experiance with cairngorm. They installed all new windows and doors. 6 out of 9 of our new windows were drafty and whistled when it got windy.
They came out numerous of times and fiddled with them, told me they were fixed but as soon as the wind got up again they would start to whistle again!
After what feels like ages the windows seem to be ok for now...But - now my door wont close properly!
If you push it like you would with any other door it dosn't close properly - it just bounces back! It wont lock anymore either. I dont know much about these things but to look at the door i would say the frame is twisted.
My OH is not here during the week and i hate the fact that i cant lock the door at night when i'm in the house by myself!
I've been in contact with Cairngorm and i'm STILL waiting for an engineer to phone me and sort out an appointment to come fix my door. I said it was an emergancy but it's not been treated as one.

We paid alot of money for new windows and doors, and have had nothing but trouble since they were put in.

I know some people are delighted with the work Cairngorm has done, Maybe I'm just the unlucky one....

Thumper
15-Oct-09, 11:11
You are not the only one dietcokegirl my cairngorm windows and doors are awful too!Door leaks so badly the carpet needs replacing about once a year!:eek: ofcourse they have sorted it numerous times but it still leaks!The brass fittings on the door tarnished within weeks and will not come off and all my windows are covered with condensation and it turns to mould if you dont wipe them down everyday!!!!I wouldn't touch their products with a bargepole! x

Liz
15-Oct-09, 13:05
sinclair windows in wick! aftersales is excellent,salesman is very friendly,good quality windows,excellent prices,give them a phone you wont be disapointed ;)

Glad you said that as they doing my doors and windows in a couple of weeks time!:D

windswept
15-Oct-09, 21:39
I had a extremely bad experiance with cairngorm. They installed all new windows and doors. 6 out of 9 of our new windows were drafty and whistled when it got windy.
They came out numerous of times and fiddled with them, told me they were fixed but as soon as the wind got up again they would start to whistle again!
After what feels like ages the windows seem to be ok for now...But - now my door wont close properly!
If you push it like you would with any other door it dosn't close properly - it just bounces back! It wont lock anymore either. I dont know much about these things but to look at the door i would say the frame is twisted.
My OH is not here during the week and i hate the fact that i cant lock the door at night when i'm in the house by myself!
I've been in contact with Cairngorm and i'm STILL waiting for an engineer to phone me and sort out an appointment to come fix my door. I said it was an emergancy but it's not been treated as one.

We paid alot of money for new windows and doors, and have had nothing but trouble since they were put in.

I know some people are delighted with the work Cairngorm has done, Maybe I'm just the unlucky one....

Due to legal proceedings against this company I cannot go into detail, but if anyone wants to have a look at the "quality and energy saving qualities" of a Cairngorm Window send me a PM. Best viewed on a windy day

Tristan
18-Oct-09, 21:36
That is really disappointing to here but I guess a lot can happen in 8 years.

upolian
19-Oct-09, 07:50
Glad you said that as they doing my doors and windows in a couple of weeks time!:D

hehe they really are top class!! they clean up after themselves aswell,dust sheets down also so the mess is to a minimum,friendly bunch you will be more than happy with them :D

cherokee
19-Oct-09, 18:50
Yep - really bad experience with Cairngorm Windows as well !!!![evil][evil]

A couple o' years ago they installed 5 new windows in our house - all 5 leaked when it rained , but according to Cairngorm it was nothing at all to do with them and they wouldn't accept responsibility !!

Ended up "temporarily" fixing them ourselves.

Don't go near 'em wi' a barge pole !!!!!![evil]

cherokee
19-Oct-09, 18:53
Sorry to be double posting, but just to say Sinclair Windows get my approval - they did our kitchen and bathroom windows - as previously said, very tidy, pleasant guys and did an excellent job !!:)

Liz
19-Oct-09, 23:11
Sorry to be double posting, but just to say Sinclair Windows get my approval - they did our kitchen and bathroom windows - as previously said, very tidy, pleasant guys and did an excellent job !!:)

Excellent! Another vote for Sinclairs Windows. So glad they are doing our work.:D

Lavenderblue2
20-Oct-09, 14:08
We used C R Smith a few years ago - I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy :mad:

lotsoflovelorraine
21-Oct-09, 23:17
thx everyone u have really helped me

just need to get the extension up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iffy
22-Oct-09, 21:00
Yes, I'd really like to recommend this company, but you have to realise the following beforehand :-

1. Ensure you have plenty of towels in your airing cupboard to soak up all the rain that comes through these windows once they are installed !!

2. Do Not even try to argue with this company in any form or fashion - they are always right and you don't have a leg to stand on !!

3. If it is the "rainy" season - like tonight - do not leave your home for very long - if you do, you'll be greeted with soaking wallpaper, soaking plaster and probably a soaking wet carpet/plugs also....

Just a wee word of warning to those who are vulnerable (like ourselves !!) and make a very silly mistake in recruiting this company !!!!!! [evil]

windswept
26-Oct-09, 21:16
Those who have had unpleasant dealings with CW, Do you mind me asking did the company raise or threaten court action if you didnt pay up for the faulty goods?

sweetpea
27-Oct-09, 00:53
I've been reading this as I'm planning David Dunnett doing my windows, any recommendations for him?

Thumper
27-Oct-09, 12:02
windswept I had unfortunately paid in advance for most of it but I did withold payment for the doors at one point and they didnt bother about it BUT the company who had financed it did so I gave up in the end :( x

Liz
04-Nov-09, 23:35
Have just had our windows and doors fitted by Sinclairs Windows and have to say we are delighted with the results.

Everything is top quality and the guys who carried out the work were so nice and worked really hard. They tidied up as they went and left minimal mess.

Of course we won't know how things go until the wind and rain starts again but are very hopeful.

Would highly recommend them.:D

upolian
05-Nov-09, 11:43
arent you going to recommend me as a decorator liz [lol][lol]BOOM!

Liz
05-Nov-09, 12:20
Demolition work maybe Upolian!:roll:

upolian
05-Nov-09, 12:38
Demolition work maybe Upolian!:roll:

i could use this method on your car with polish :lol:

Liz
05-Nov-09, 13:01
Step away from the car!!:lol:

Hoida
05-Nov-09, 15:13
:(Had a very bad experience with Everest, the windows were not the problem their administration was dreadful

upolian
05-Nov-09, 19:41
Step away from the car!!:lol:

my business could go out with a bang [lol]

BINBOB
05-Nov-09, 22:39
my business could go out with a bang [lol]

Nooooooooooooooo chance!!:lol:

BINBOB
05-Nov-09, 22:46

I would just like to tell you the tale of my wonderful ,buider,Robbie Burns.

Last Saturday evening,I came in from next door neighbours,went to let dogs out through back door............TOTALLY jammed.
Unsure of what to do.......then thought ,only option is to try Robbie,I have been in my new house for just over 2 years now............called him,he and son Graeme were here within TEN minutes.

they both managed to find the problem[broken bit in lock],put the door together ,enabling me to lock/unlock as needed.
They arrived wednesday afternoon,put new lock on ,all sorted now.
How wonderful is that??
This is not the first time they have rushed to my rescue.........so all I can say is Thank u,Robbie and Graeme.First class all the way.:D;):Razz

lotsoflovelorraine
09-Feb-10, 22:17
had everest here tonite for quote any feedback would be great :)

miller30
09-Feb-10, 23:43
county joiners do windows ect, they have a show room in baroghill street, wick, they are great joiners and are good at matching prices.

much cheaper than sinclair windows.

doyle
10-Feb-10, 23:41
We have cairngorm coming in 2 weeks time to install french doors in the lounge. The only problem we had arranging for this to be done was with the salesman at the time - he kept fobbing us off! Needless to say he is no longer with the company. We also got cairngorm to instal windows and patio doors when we bought this house about 4 years ago. When we lived in the town we had all our windows replaced by them and got patio doors put in as well. Been well pleased with all the work they have done for us over the years.

tommy01
25-Feb-10, 13:37
We used C R Smith a few years ago - I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy :mad:
CR Smith no longer operate this far north now.

windswept
25-Feb-10, 19:58
We have cairngorm coming in 2 weeks time to install french doors in the lounge. The only problem we had arranging for this to be done was with the salesman at the time - he kept fobbing us off! Needless to say he is no longer with the company. We also got cairngorm to instal windows and patio doors when we bought this house about 4 years ago. When we lived in the town we had all our windows replaced by them and got patio doors put in as well. Been well pleased with all the work they have done for us over the years.

You are pleased with Cairngorm Windows what can I say other than you have been lucky.