PDA

View Full Version : Prom/Ball

Fluff
14-Oct-09, 19:53
When the hell did this come over from the US? When I was in school, we had a senior ball (this was only 10 years ago) now they seem to be called prom's.

What is wrong with a ball, I think it sounds much more formal and more of an effort.

Maybe I am old before my time and moaning about nothing, but it really gets on my nerves!

davie
14-Oct-09, 20:02
Were you not aware that thanks to Mr B Liar we are now a State of the Union.
Have you noticed the Number 10 Rostrum complete with Union Flag ( copied from the White Hoose). Our new 'Supreme Court' etc etc etc.
The prom is a long way downstream from the Govviement although I am sure they endorse it.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Oct-09, 20:19
Prom and balls.Never had them down ma way.Ye left school and got on with it.

Katy
14-Oct-09, 20:22
A little bit off topic but was in Simply Bliss today and she has gorgeous dresses for the proms!
Wish I was young again lol
Kxxx

catran
14-Oct-09, 20:51
A little bit off topic but was in Simply Bliss today and she has gorgeous dresses for the proms!
Kxxx

Oh yes, hope all goes well for Bev. She has the idea so all the best .I feel sure all the girlies will be looking for their prom dress as off now and what better way to shop than do it locally.

Vistravi
14-Oct-09, 21:30
Had a senior ball when i was at school but never bothered to go. Not my kind of thing. I've never really liked dresses and as soon as i was old enough to realise that i stopped wearing them. Only wore one recently for my mum's wedding. First time in almost 10 years lol.

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-09, 21:35
The only ball I had when I left school was trying to burn it down.;):lol:

George Brims
14-Oct-09, 21:56
In Week HS we used to have the Christmas dances. Prom was something in American movies. When we first moved to the US, there happened to be a prom going on in the hotel ballroom as we were checking in. We thought it was maybe a Moonie mass wedding.

PantsMAN
14-Oct-09, 22:32
I have been told, by someone who knows these things, that the first Prom at Wick High was on 21st December 1988. It was known as a Prom, right from the start!
I'm told it has always been very formal with a dress code that ensures high standards.

Fly
14-Oct-09, 22:33
When the hell did this come over from the US? When I was in school, we had a senior ball (this was only 10 years ago) now they seem to be called prom's.

What is wrong with a ball, I think it sounds much more formal and more of an effort.

Maybe I am old before my time and moaning about nothing, but it really gets on my nerves!

Could'nt agree more. I'm sick to death the way we have to copy from the USA. Don't we have any pride in our own country any more? Sorry, how stupid of me, we are not Britain any longer thanks to B Liar and his ilkhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

PantsMAN
14-Oct-09, 22:46

Can someone explain to me why there is an apostrophe between the m and s above? Just curious....

DIH
14-Oct-09, 23:02
I have been told, by someone who knows these things, that the first Prom at Wick High was on 21st December 1988. It was known as a Prom, right from the start!
I'm told it has always been very formal with a dress code that ensures high standards.

You are right about the date. I was at that prom and remember it well. It was the same night as the Lockerbie bombing.

The dress code was not that formal. Some of the girls wore dresses but nothing as fancy as today. A lot just wore a skirt and blouse. The boys mostly wore trousers and a shirt.

We were warned to behave or there would be no prom ever again. I bet a lot of parents wish we had misbehaved as its become an expensive event now.

Dynamic Sounds
15-Oct-09, 00:44
Kxxx

My Senior ball was 17 years ago, you were only in Primary then so of anyone feels old it should be me!!!:cool:

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Oct-09, 08:56

You might want to check out the apostrophe thread. :)

trinkie
15-Oct-09, 09:32
In my day we had the Former Pupils Ball - around the Christmas after you left High School. That was a great night.

In my childrens' day they had the Qualification Ball, another wonderful night .

I think I have to agree it's now costing parents far too much to get the youngsters kitted out, and I wonder if that's necessary?

Whatever you do,
Have a great night.

Trinkie

Fluff
15-Oct-09, 15:53
I have always been rubbish with apostrophes and spelling. My English essays always came back more red than white lol! The apostrophe will always be my weakness.

Anne x
16-Oct-09, 00:46
6th Year Social for me then that was not yesterday ;)