PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Airport!!!!!!

golach
14-Oct-09, 13:50
Have been out at Edinburgh Airport today, saying goodbye to a nice friend.
After we saw her off, we proceeded to the car park, I noticed the driver rooting in her purse, on enquiring why, she told me, we need English notes to pay.......My reaction was a typical Francie & Josie reaction......Gerrraway!!!!! But sadly the ticket machine in the car park of Edinburghs Airport will only accept Engish money.....we were in the Capital Of Scotlands airport, and had to use non Scots Notes....the rot has set in, it will be the Euro next, mark my words[disgust]

Alan16
14-Oct-09, 14:21
Have been out at Edinburgh Airport today, saying goodbye to a nice friend.
After we saw her off, we proceeded to the car park, I noticed the driver rooting in her purse, on enquiring why, she told me, we need English Pound notes to pay.......My reaction was a typical Francie & Josie reaction......Gerrraway!!!!! But sadly the ticket machine in the car park of Edinburghs Airport will only accept Engish money.....we were in the Capital Of Scotlands airport, and had to use non Scots Notes....the rot has set in, it will be the Euro next, mark my words[disgust]

Erm... How? I'm looking at a Scottish £10 note and an English £10 note at the moment, and there is no discernible difference apart from that one says Bank of England and the other says Clydesdale Bank.

davie
14-Oct-09, 14:26
Specsavers beckons I reckon - there is probably a distinct difference between "Clydesdale Bank" and "Bank of England" unless my understanding of the English language is even more lacking than I assume.

Leanne
14-Oct-09, 15:03
You'll be there for a long time looking for an english pound note :Razz

golach
14-Oct-09, 16:25
You'll be there for a long time looking for an english pound note :Razz

As it is normally £2 an hour to park, I assumed you would understand

that it has to be notes of £5 or over that were used in payment.[disgust]

Venture
14-Oct-09, 16:37
Erm... How? I'm looking at a Scottish £10 note and an English £10 note at the moment, and there is no discernible difference apart from that one says Bank of England and the other says Clydesdale Bank.

And here's me thinking you were intelligent.[lol][lol]

BINBOB
14-Oct-09, 18:20
And here's me thinking you were intelligent.[lol][lol]

Ditto....:lol:

Alan16
14-Oct-09, 18:40
Well I assume that all of you here have heard of something called the United Kingdom? Yes? Well believe it or not the sovereign state has one currency - the pound sterling. Therefore a £10 note from the Clydesdale bank has the same value as a £10 note from the Bank of England.

Tristan
14-Oct-09, 18:44
And the legal tender debate begins.
All though for all practical purposes the Scottish Pound is tied to the Bank of England and is/or should be accepted everywhere...it not strictly speaking legal tender because of the way the Scottish system works with the bank printing the money.
I know there are many complaints of people in England not accepting Scottish money because of the potential for forgery it is a shame that the airport hasn't found a way to recognise all the legitimate Scottish notes.

davie
14-Oct-09, 18:53
Ah, now I see what you mean. Do you mean that a £10 note is worth Ten Pounds Sterling ?.
Is this the same as a Nine Bob Note being worth Four Shillings and Sixpence ?

Here is me after 50+ years counting the things and I never knew that. Ta very much for the enlightenment.

There is of course a section of the community who consider that only notes issued by the Bank of Engerlund are U.K. legal tender and that Clydedale Bank Monopoly Money is just that.

canuck
14-Oct-09, 19:03
I know there are many complaints of people in England not accepting Scottish money because of the potential for forgery it is a shame that the airport hasn't found a way to recognise all the legitimate Scottish notes.

Unfortunately the same problem exists at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. The machine to pay for parking requires Bank of England notes. Now one can withdraw B of E notes from the cash machine at the airport, but the hospital bank issues only Bank of Scotland notes.

So, Caithnessians, if you are planning trips south remember to tuck in some Bank of England notes if you need to use the parking machines.

Kevin Milkins
14-Oct-09, 19:12
My elderly mother in law came to stop with us for most of the summer in Wick. When I returned her home to Ebbw Vale in South Wales, it was late evening and I went to the local corner shop to get her some essential supplies and when I went to pay with Scottish notes the shop assistant said he would have to phone his boss to make sure if he was allowed to except it.
After a ten minute conversation with his boss, in a foreign language he said "sorry mate he said no, I can't except it".

After a 700 mile trip I was not best pleased.:mad:

davie
14-Oct-09, 19:16
Of course in Welsh Wales all currency is foreign currency.
Joking apart this controversy about Scottish Notes has been going on for many years and is no nearer being sorted although the question is raised in the ' Mother of Pig Troughs' on a regular basis.