PDA

View Full Version : Naval vessels in Pentland Firth

Kenn
12-Oct-09, 18:32
Was intrigued by the presence of two naval vessels on The Firth today and the helicopter that was flying over and then along the coast.
Would this have had any thing to do with the of the sinking of The Royal Oak and the remembrance ceremonies being held this week?

south view 7
12-Oct-09, 18:36
Nothing to do with royal oak,there is a nato exersise off cape wrath going on just now.

Tighsonas4
12-Oct-09, 19:03
there is a naval exercise going on just now but two naval vessels will be in scapa on wednesday , think its to take princess anne to the rememberance cermony tony

Kenn
12-Oct-09, 19:14
Thank you for the information,that would also explain the presence of another naval ship a few days ago.

Thought for a moment we were going to be invadad!

Aaldtimer
12-Oct-09, 19:17
More info here:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8302424.stm

Hope they are not upsetting the local sea life!:eek:

Kenn
12-Oct-09, 19:21
Thanks for the link aaldtimer much appreciated.

Gronnuck
12-Oct-09, 20:08
I always thought the naval training area was offshore. The helicopters we saw today were flying low and slow following the coastline which would indicate they were looking for something or someone. Could it be part of the ongoing air and sea search after a man went overboard the Stromness based creel boat Noronya just west of Orkney a couple of days ago?

Phill
12-Oct-09, 20:56
It's playtime basically, here's some of the boats and toys n' stuff:

Joint Warrior 092

Exercise Joint Warrior 092 will be conducted off the coast of Scotland from October 5 - 23, 2009. Joint Warrior is of the largest naval exercises in the world, conducted twice a year. Joint Warrior 092 will feature 18 ships, 3 submarines, and around 100 aircraft.

Royal Navy

HMS Illustrious (R 06)
HMS Northumberland (F 238)
HMS Portland (F 79)
HMS Bangor (M 109)
HMS Penzance (M 106)
HMS Shoreham (M 112)
HMS Trafalgar (S107)

French Navy

FS Styx (M614)
FS Emeraude (S602)

Canadian Navy

HMCS Halifax (FFH 330)
HMCS Montreal (FFH 336)
HMCS Athabaskan (DDH 282)
HMCS Preserver (AOR 510)

Royal Danish Navy

HDMS Absalon (L 16)

Brazilian Navy

BNS Defensora (F 41)

Turkish Navy

TCG Orucreis (F 245)

US Navy

USS Cole (DDG 67)
USS Ramage (DDG 61)
USS John L. Hall (FFG 32)
USNS Laramie (T-AO 203)

Tighsonas4
12-Oct-09, 21:51
I always thought the naval training area was offshore. The helicopters we saw today were flying low and slow following the coastline which would indicate they were looking for something or someone. Could it be part of the ongoing air and sea search after a man went overboard the Stromness based creel boat Noronya just west of Orkney a couple of days ago?
no im afraid that search has been called off tony

Kenn
12-Oct-09, 23:28
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i316/kenliz/Aircraft/2005_0104Caithness50013-1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i316/kenliz/Aircraft/2005_0104Caithness50008-1.jpg

Was this the helicopter you saw? It was over The Pentland Firth and then landed on HMCS Athabaskan. We next saw it over Dunnet Bay where it came in on the west side,did a circuit of the bay round to Dunnet Head and then seemed to return to the same ship which was by then off of Thurso Bay.

Sorry the pictures are not better quality but trying to get shots of grey ships on a grey is a bit of a challenge!

Gronnuck
13-Oct-09, 05:43
Lizz - That looks like the helicopter we saw over Scarfskerry a few times yesterday afternoon. We also so a higher flying yellow Sea King HAR3 and hoped the search was continuing for the missing crewman.

Stack Rock
14-Oct-09, 19:27
Air-craft carrier steaming past Staxigoe towards the firth an hour ago - probably Illustrious. Also heard aircraft activity about. Pity it was dusk so couldn't have a proper look.

Tighsonas4
14-Oct-09, 19:45
Air-craft carrier steaming past Staxigoe towards the firth an hour ago - probably Illustrious. Also heard aircraft activity about. Pity it was dusk so couldn't have a proper look.
was it her yhey said was in scapa with princess anne on board ?? tony

Stack Rock
14-Oct-09, 22:12
was it her yhey said was in scapa with princess anne on board ?? tony

According to the Orcadian newspaper she was on HMS Penzance - I think she's a mine-sweeper.

Tighsonas4
15-Oct-09, 17:30
yes i think your right stack rock. i havent got the orcadian yet
was following the reports on orkney radio, they had serials on there for the last three days cheers tony

Stack Rock
15-Oct-09, 19:12
Hi Tony

I thought you would be interested - I read the Orcadian news summaries on line, they update almost every day.