PDA

View Full Version : Edwyn Collins & The 1990's - Skinandi's, Thu 15th Oct

theboss
12-Oct-09, 15:09
Edwyn Collins has time and again proven himself as one of Scottish rock music's all-time greats, and moreover an honest and dedicated performer headstrong in his determination to do things his own way. Despite his continuing battles with poor health and still fighting back from the effects of a stroke he is back on the road doing what he does best. This is a fantastic opportunity to see a true master of his art in Thurso.

Glasgow's 1990's were signed to Rough Trade Record Company (The Strokes) when they were spotted at only their sixth gig. In the early days of the band, both Franz Ferdinand singer Alex Kapranos and drummer Paul Thomson were members of the group.
In recent months 1990s have supported Babyshambles at the Glasgow Barrowlands, and toured with Franz Ferdinand.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/dfe751fbe8.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Blast!
12-Oct-09, 18:12
Can't make it to this now :(

Stupid 7s!

theboss
15-Oct-09, 09:57
Tonight... come along... dance, sing, get steaming!

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Oct-09, 11:44
PM sent, boss man.

Kenneth
16-Oct-09, 06:35
How did the gig go then? I couldnt make it because of nightshift!

Hope he got a decent crowd

theboss
16-Oct-09, 09:29
How did the gig go then? I couldnt make it because of nightshift!

Hope he got a decent crowd

The gig was brilliant.

The 1990's weren't my cup of tea but were a very good band.

Edwyn Collins and his band were fantastic. Edwyn was charming and confident despite his poor health. His vocals weren't what they were before his illness but it didn't matter because he put everything he had in to every last word.
His band were incredible. Some of the best musicians i've seen up here without a doubt. Barry Cadogan (Primal Scream) was playing guitar for him and he was absolutely superb! A very tasteful player and a great Russian hat!

Oh yeah, and their techs were great guys as well. Had good banter with them through the day. A grand day, and a great gig!

Unfortunately, it was a poor turnout :(

Flyermonkey
16-Oct-09, 09:54
Yep, really good gig. You kind of forget how good Edwyn Collins actually is when you get past 'Girl Like You'. Rip It Up was far better...

Amazing backing band as well - particularly Barry from Primal Scream / Little Barrie and Ryan from The Cribs.

1990s were pretty good too.

A real shame about the turnout though.

guitarzan
16-Oct-09, 10:48
Ryan from The Cribs and Barry from Primal Scream were playing with them? Min, gutted I couldn't go now...

theboss
16-Oct-09, 10:51
Ryan from The Cribs and Barry from Primal Scream were playing with them? Min, gutted I couldn't go now...

Barry Cadogan was playing but Ryan Jarman wasn't. They played a song that Edwyn wrote with Ryan recently, that's all.

BigKev
16-Oct-09, 12:28
Absolutely fantastic gig, most talented group of musicians i have seen up here in a long time!

Great show, i would go out of my way to see them again like.