PDA

View Full Version : Foalie with a possible fracture :(

Leanne
12-Oct-09, 12:24
I don't know why I am posting this on here - just need to get it off my chest I guess...

On saturday I went out in the field to check on the horses and Inky, my foal, was lame to the point of not wanting to stand. He wouldn't move and kept giving up and lying down. I checked him over and there was no obvious sign of injury or pain but he would not put the leg down. I was really concerned so called the vets and Hamish was there within half an hour (what a guy!).

Hamish was absolutely brilliant with my little man. I can do anything with him in the field bar getting a headcollar on - Hamish fully examined him loose in the field (Inky was a gem and stood stock still the whole time - very proud mummy). Basically he said he is lame to the point of it being fracture lame but he couldn't find any obvious break. He said there is no pain through the whole leg bar the pastern. But even the pastern doesn't seem to be that painful to touch.

Anyway I gave him oral painkillers (IV was a bit too much to ask loose in the field - though Hamish did give it a go :) ) and gave him a few hours and then brought him in (big thanks to krackenkid for all her help). Hamish said box rest until Monday (today) and then reassess.

Well today he is still lame but it is more like 3/10 than the 9/10 that it was on Saturday. I phoned the vets and left a message for Hamish to say I was going to continue to box rest him and see how he was in a week. Hopefully he will continue to improve :)

Anyway I am feeling more confident about it all now. Even if he does have a small fracture I have known other horses to recover with box rest. Also as he is still a baby I think he will recover more easily.

This was him on Saturday - poor little mannie! He's so much sounder now...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/th_Video0108.jpg (http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/?action=view&current=Video0108.flv)

Liz
12-Oct-09, 12:34
I am so sorry that poor Inky has a poorly leg but so glad that there has been a big improvement and, hopefully, with rest he will back to full health soon.
Have you ever tried magnetic products? You get this for horses and it can speed up healing.

He is lovely!:D

Liz
12-Oct-09, 12:40
I just remembered that my sister used a knee wrap from a company called Back on Track on a knee which had given her trouble for a few years.

Within a week of using it the knee pain went and she hasn't had to wear it again!

Here are the details of their horse products.http://www.backontrack.eu/shownode.php?id=581

Kathy@watten
12-Oct-09, 13:05
Sorry to see your wee guy sore, have had a lot of similar problems sady our Inky had a compound fractur to a hind leg and had to be PTS, it's always horrible when it goes all wrong. Have one youngster in at the moment myself with a ripped off frog...will be fine but box rest is a pain and very time consuming, if you need a hand give me a buzz am just along the road!

BINBOB
12-Oct-09, 13:36
Awww..sorry to hear this,really hope he gets better very soon.

Leanne
12-Oct-09, 14:09
I'll have a look at those products - thanks. At the moment he just has gamgee and a stable bandage for a little suppport.

LORRAINE
12-Oct-09, 15:56
sorry to hear about your poorly fella but time is agreat healer and i'm sure he will bounce back to his old(or young) self before long if they can't find a fracture he may have just twisted it playing like babies do we had an arab stallion once who fractured his neck and the vets were all to willing to put him down but we refused and again in time he healed and came back to full fitness and won his first race:lol:horses are amazingly more resiliant than we give them credit for keep up your good work and between you and hamish you will get there

bullielove
12-Oct-09, 18:21
I too am sorry to hear about your Inky. Hoping he is on the road to recovery x

Jovi
12-Oct-09, 21:52
Hi Leanne,
sorry to hear about Inky's injury.Horses take so many knocks and strains to legs that look so spindly but hopefully his young legs will heal well..Hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

Bakerbhoy
15-Oct-09, 12:55
What a shame your poor wee man looks so sore. Just wondering have you thought of an abscess? Just my boy was hopping lame on a back leg earlier this year and it got to the stage of not putting any weight on it, I was told tendons but there was no swelling or heat anywhere. I got the blacksmith and he cut a little bit back at his toe and low and behold there was puss dripping out. It is just I watched your video and it reminded me of the way he stood and tried to move.

Just a thought and hope he gets better soon

x

Leanne
15-Oct-09, 13:07
I had thought of that too but the vet came and pared away his hoof - nothing... He seems to be getting better on it now, Hamish classed him as 9/10 lame but he is nowhere near that now. I have had him off the painkillers for 24 hours to see how he manages and he is still lame even in walk but he will bear weight on it now :) Just been to collect some more of the good stuff for him - Hamish has given me 6 days worth to see him through a bit more box rest. He said to give him 3-4 days to get it out of his system when the bute has all been used and we'll then review how he is then. Fingers crossed :)

Liz
15-Oct-09, 13:21
I am glad that Inky is improving and hope it won't be long before he makes a full recovery.

ShelleyCowie
15-Oct-09, 16:33
Oh no. I bet you have been really worried. Glad that he is on the mend though and fingers crossed for a full recovery. When i had my horse and he got seriously injured i always thought the worst but he got better. Im sure Inky will too! Lots of love!!! xx

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 10:14
Thanks for all the support peeps :) I cannot thank Hamish enough for how quickly he came out to us and for his professionalism - he was brilliant with my little man. Big up to the vets in Wick!!

cameroncara
16-Oct-09, 10:27
how is the little one doing???

Leanne
16-Oct-09, 11:30
how is the little one doing???

He's doing OK. He's loving being in and being spoilt. He's got a new game - lets tip the water bucket all over the stable! (It's got a big heavy slab in it too). This evolved to - lets pull the hosepipe out when leanne tries to fill it up. Both games resulted in a lot of soggy wasted straw. He now know what the word no means though :roll:

How's you? Any joy with finding a loaner?

Liz
16-Oct-09, 12:07
He's doing OK. He's loving being in and being spoilt. He's got a new game - lets tip the water bucket all over the stable! (It's got a big heavy slab in it too). This evolved to - lets pull the hosepipe out when leanne tries to fill it up. Both games resulted in a lot of soggy wasted straw. He now know what the word no means though :roll:

How's you? Any joy with finding a loaner?

Ha ha. Well he has to pass the time somehow!