PDA

View Full Version : Robert McGregor and Mary Sutherland 1762

jamesmatthews45
12-Oct-09, 08:59
I am looking to find anything on Robert McGregor and Mary Sutherland both of whom I believe were from Sempster (Caithness) the wording I have been given is as follows:

They were matrimonially contracted in order to marriage, 14th or 21st June 1762
Most of the information has come from a Great Aunt who got a lot from the Scottish Records Office and New Registry House. She has said that her mother always said the McGregor’s went to Caithness after the troubles and it could be true as Robert and Mary Married only 16 years after the battle of Culloden.

I have lots more information on our family living in this area right up to about 1900 Latheron, Berriedale, Knockally, Buoltach etc.

I have gone back to Robert and Mary as I can’t seem to go back any further. Can anyone help?

I was also sent an extract from ‘Highland Clearances Trail’ describing Badbea and how people were cleared (evicted) from Auchencraig, Berriedale, by Donald Horne in 1830 and that the site had first been settled as early as 1770 by a family of Sutherlands from Berriedale. However, I don’t know if there is a family connection.

Regards Jim

jamesmatthews45
12-Oct-09, 11:59
I hope you will all forgive me but I am new to all of this and any help is appreciated.

Since my first post I have more information on this couple. Their children either Born or Baptised:

Margaret Baptised 18th July 1762

John Baptised 7th October 1764 at Latheron (Sempster)

Mary 10th April 1768

Charles 13th August 1770

Anna May 1775

Regards, Jim

CaithLynn
29-Oct-09, 22:41
Please let me know if you have evidence of the settling of Badbea as early as 1770, the Gunns and Sutherlands intermarried and can be found at Badbea for definite from 1792.

See http://www.badbeafamilies.com

Bruce_H
30-Oct-09, 13:52
Hello Jim

Going back any further may be somewhat tough, as the old parish records for Latheron do not really reach much earlier than the dates you have for Robert McGregor and Mary Sutherland 1762.

Lynn is a fantastic resource for all things Badbea, and in addition if your ancestors were in the Dunbeath / Berriedale area (as were mine) there is information to be found from the Dunbeath Heritage Centre in Dunbeath.

Bruce Henderson

Christina Baldwin
31-Oct-09, 02:24
Hello Jim
I wonder if the place you refer to should be Stemster (as in Loch Stemster) not Sempster - it might just be a typo on your part but it could make a difference in your search for information.
On this Caithness site there is a very interesting and informative article titled 'An abandoned crofting community in Latheron' by David Miller that makes reference to the area close to Stemster, and also refers to both the Sutherland and McGregor families in the area, with some nice anecdotes. There is a small map there as well showing the proximity to each other of the places refered to.
Regards Christina