PDA

View Full Version : Swimming phone?

Kathy@watten
09-Oct-09, 18:33
Any idea how to rescue my phone, I accidentally dropped it down the loo when changing for a shower, I rescued it very quickly, dried it off and hairdried on low and left to dry completely on low heater, has been left to dry all day but to no avail it seems to have stripes on the screen and no icons coming up, does sing away to its self a bit but I will be lost without it...any ideas to aid its recovery?

Leanne
09-Oct-09, 18:41
Mine has worked in the past when I have done what you have done. But the trick is to not turn it on until it is completely dry - you will fry the battery or the screen :(

Bad news is though that most phone insurance doesn't cover you for water damage either so you would have to claim off the house insurance...

I have a sony k800i that you could have £20 if you want it - its locked to O2 though

Kodiak
09-Oct-09, 18:43
Looks like the time has come to buy another phone.

chaz
09-Oct-09, 18:46
lol i dropped mine in the horses water last year after a couple of days on the heater it was ok:) But the next week it got dropped and in the straw and yes one of my four legged friends trod on it, so it was new phone time.
Now only buy cheap phones:lol:

Scorpio12thNov
09-Oct-09, 18:53
I ended up getting another phone as months later the phone I dropped in water STILL wouldn't work.

Mobile phones are a conspiracy, they aren't made to last, therefore we go buy ANOTHER phone. You'd think with todays technologies all mobiles would be waterproof.

Eh Government![evil]

LMS
09-Oct-09, 19:12
Open it up and set it in a bowl of rice. Worked a treat for me after trying unsuccessfully to dry it out on a radiator.

Jester
09-Oct-09, 19:14
There are some videos on youtube that show you what to do.
From what I recall, it was basically
Take your phone to pieces
Dry up all excess water with kitchen towel
Put each piece of the phone into dry rice
Put into the airing cupboard for a day or two

The bloke in the video deliberately dunks his phone, and demonstartes it working at the end

This needs to be done immediately after getting wet

Vistravi
09-Oct-09, 19:20
Leave it to dry for a few days in the airing cupbaord or on top of a radiator. My sister droped her phone in one of the burns on dunnet beach and it was ok after a couple of days drying out.

If you are on contract then fonesafe are excellent insurers. They cover you everything.

smee
09-Oct-09, 19:27
Don't do what my mate did, he put it in the micro wave to dry it.......needless to say, micro chips!

twiglet
09-Oct-09, 19:29
Take it to bits and leave out to dry in an airing cupboard. Worked for me.

Jester
09-Oct-09, 19:32
Don't do what my mate did, he put it in the micro wave to dry it.......needless to say, micro chips!

Brilliant [lol] although better than the person who did the same thing with their cat! :(

octane
09-Oct-09, 20:50
Tbh even if you did get it up and running your gonna end up with a faeces reception because of where its been. People will think your talking urine on the other end too...

grumpy1
09-Oct-09, 22:50
Mine has worked in the past when I have done what you have done. But the trick is to not turn it on until it is completely dry - you will fry the battery or the screen :(

Bad news is though that most phone insurance doesn't cover you for water damage either so you would have to claim off the house insurance...

I have a sony k800i that you could have £20 if you want it - its locked to O2 though

hehehe not funny i know but i did the exact same thing with my iphone...once it dried out, it works fine but wont hold a charge..the bad news is house insurance wouldnt pay our either.. apparantly water damage isnt accidental....like u would drop it down the loo on purpose..:confused

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Oct-09, 05:47
I dropped my mobile phone in the bath last night. When I took it out, it was ringing.

Dog-eared
10-Oct-09, 16:35
:lol::lol::lol:

Kathy@watten
10-Oct-09, 16:41
Great news my phone has lived to tell the story of the bottom of the loo, today I put it all back together and lo and behold it worked.

Jester
10-Oct-09, 16:48
Great news indeed :D

Kodiak
10-Oct-09, 18:45
Great news my phone has lived to tell the story of the bottom of the loo, today I put it all back together and lo and behold it worked.

You must be Flushed with success, :lol:

scorrie
11-Oct-09, 01:37

It was a cry for help. Do the decent thing and upgrade!!