PDA

View Full Version : Lybster - what is it like?

MarieH
09-Oct-09, 07:53
Hi ,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what Lybster is like to live in as an area as we are thinking of moving there. Any insights would be most greatfully recieved!

Kathy@watten
09-Oct-09, 09:16
Not that I have lived there or plan to ever but if you go by the reports in the local paper there seems to be quite a lot of petty crimes in the area all done predominately by a few families. Daresay no more crime than other areas but in such a small place it is bound to have a impact.

taffy
09-Oct-09, 12:19
Hi I have lived in Lybster all my life and would not change that. Yes there are the few who cause trouble but in the main it is a nice community and even more so when something happens everyone rallies round. Its like everything in life its what you make of it yourself.:lol:

~~Tides~~
09-Oct-09, 12:25
I think there is a higher proportion of incommers to the area, mainly English, than elsewhere in Caithness.

pink25
09-Oct-09, 12:42
For me personally I would never live in Lybster, this is mainly due to a personal experience I have had....also from reading about things in the paper and from what other people have said etc. Although these days it seems like crime etc is getting just as bad or as often in Wick and Thurso :(
But I also know people who have lived in Lybster a long time and enjoy living there and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
I guess you'll never know what it's really like untill you've lived there.

Invisible
09-Oct-09, 13:11
I hail from just outside Lybster to the south, I rarely go down the street now adays but in my Primary School days it was great mind you that's going back at least 10 years now. Its is/was a close knit community and a quiet little village. As Tides said there are a lot of incomers to the area, but that justifies thats its a nice place to live, with nice walks in the area and great bus links into Wick. I am pro Lybster but i tend to biased as family is based there.

My granda went to Lybster Harbour yesterday and a kind local gave him 3 lobsters! I am enjoying a Lobster sandwich as we speak. Speaking of the harbour Waterlines is a nice place to visit in the summer. If you look on the walls you can see some of the boats which my classmates and I made way back in 1999.

The book of Lybster by D.Young (i think) is a good book to have a look at, again I feature in this book.[lol]

JamesC
09-Oct-09, 13:25
I have family in Lybster and they have had nothing but trouble. This is mainly by the same few yobs but personally I would never move to Lybster. Most of the time I don't even like to go to Lybster.

Cattach
09-Oct-09, 14:20
I find that threads asking about somewhere to stay are seldon helpful as there are so many varying views coloured by particular instance one way or another which had affected the individual with vert negative or positive influence. I would guess that Lybster will be much the same as any other small community - good to live in if you are willing to make the commitment to come half way to meet those already there. Join in the local scene, help at local events and be willing to mix ( not take over at first) and it will all be OK.

highbury
09-Oct-09, 16:53
I Lived just outside of Lybster and loved it, If I ever moved north again, would have no worries about living there again

Amy-Winehouse
09-Oct-09, 17:53
Hi ,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what Lybster is like to live in as an area as we are thinking of moving there. Any insights would be most greatfully recieved!

In a word, Quiet.

sjr014
09-Oct-09, 18:24
I lived at Swiney for almost 2 years moving back in2 Wick just over a year ago and i loved it out there and made loads of really good friends. I personally loved the villiage and if i couldnt be bothered going into the town i didn't need to their was a fantastic butchers and 2 well stocked shops. Also the Portlands is nice for food and the Bayview is nice for a wee dram! Sadly due to having a young child and work commitments im now in the town again. But the folk out there are lovely and yes as you can read in the local papers there is reports of petty crime but that is no different to what is happening in Wick, Thurso or Castletown etc.

donnieflinty
09-Oct-09, 19:38
:lol::lol: lybster is a nice place i would recomend it to anyone lots of nice folk live there i would move back there any time!i used to live at swiney hill! nice village good pubs friendly folk(gods country)lol

unicorn
09-Oct-09, 19:55
Never lived there but when we hold rabbit shows there the help and support we get from local parents and the general community is brilliant.

philupmaboug
09-Oct-09, 20:54
Why not try Mybster instead of Lybster, very quite place to live, local amenities nearby in Watten and Halkirk, riding school just up the road, situated in the exact centre of the county for access to all main towns and villages as well as being beside the main artery to the north/south A9 trunk road.

Within commuting distance of Wick and Thurso. Fabulous choice of place to live!!

Oddquine
09-Oct-09, 22:21
An incomer to Lybster here..lovely friendly people.........whatever their origins.

I've never seen a yob....but doubtless they exist.....don't they everywhere to a greater or lesser extent?

I'd reccomend it to anybody.

hopper.65
10-Oct-09, 05:27
Heard it being called little Liverpool a few times recently!

BertoBear
10-Oct-09, 10:57
Moved from Lybster to Wick 10 years ago, certainly would never go back now. In my opinion there is hardly any original locals left, now all incomers, yobs or unemployed.

Dog-eared
10-Oct-09, 16:30
You dont need a house in Lybster, just a yurt or tent. :lol:

Jester
10-Oct-09, 16:46
Heard it being called little Liverpool a few times recently!

Surely not :eek:

catran
11-Oct-09, 14:22
You dont need a house in Lybster, just a yurt or tent. :lol:

How very true.[lol]

BRIE
11-Oct-09, 17:20
I lived in Lybster for quite a few years before moving a few miles out.
The majority of the people are fantastic, most locals welcome newcomers as if their family then of course you get the odd ones that treat you like you have the plague!!:lol: with the attitude of 'how dare you move up here stealing our houses & jobs!' yes I came across this afew times!
Wouldnt recommend moving to the bottom end of the village this is were most of the trouble (when there is any) is , but saying that things do seem to be alot quieter than in previous years.
There are a few idiots in the village that seem to always be in trouble but the police are aware of them.
Theres now a couple of police officer that live in the village too one is on a crusade to stop the double parking outside the shops!!:eek: if anyone has seem the width of the street outside the shops they would see how hilarious this sounds! you could probably fit 8 cars across the street!

roadbowler
11-Oct-09, 22:11
marie... Lybster is braw. N'ermind folks moanin' aboot incomers. I live in lybster and LOVE it. 99.9% of the locals are the friendliest, loveliest, most kind hearted folk ye'll ever meet. Weel the other micro percentage might gie ye dirty looks, try and mow ye down on the road, phone the police or council on you for nae reason but tae cause trouble but, as long as ye stick to a policy of smile an wave ye'll be fine! Lol[lol] we've got a bonnie harbour if no the bonniest in scotland, great wee shops, pubs and the freshest air on the planet.

Tilly Teckel
11-Oct-09, 22:35
Another incomer here! We're just a couple of miles outside of the village and find it great. There's a wee golf course in the village where my son had free coaching during the summer holidays, badminton coaching during the term time, dance classes in the community hall (plus many other things at various times), bowling club, the friendliest doctor you could ever hope to meet (Dr Bobby!), the beautiful harbour and surrounding countryside, the Portland Arms Hotel for a lovely meal, two shops where you can buy pretty much anything you need, a post office/newsagents... and that's just in the one street! The countryside around is fabulous and our dogs love it. I haven't had any trouble or seen any, and we've been made more than welcome. I thoroughly recommend it!

Oddquine
12-Oct-09, 01:23
How very true.[lol]

You have a problem with eco-friendly lifestyles? Can't say I do.

porshiepoo
12-Oct-09, 10:00
We're incomers, been here since 03 and love it. We live just outside the village so generally don't come across any of the yobs that people speak of.
I would agree though that the bottom end of the village is probably the place to avoid, not because they're all yobs down there (there are plenty of nice families that just want a quiet life) but because that's where the council house people and unfortunately they don't discriminate against drunks and drug users or those that have no respect for property as they've not had to put their hard earned cash in to buy it.
However, my experience of the Lybster people (locals and incomers) has never been anything but friendly. I am simply stating what I have heard with regards the bottom end of the village.
Have to agree that incomers do appear to make up the majority now but I wouldn't say that's a good or a bad thing, it's just how it is.

roadbowler
12-Oct-09, 10:08
actually, a quick skim through catran 200 something posts ye will see more than half are slagging off incomers from "doon sooth". :roll: It's this attitude that creates a huge divide in an otherwise great wee community like Lybster. Childish and sad really.

catran
12-Oct-09, 21:20
actually, a quick skim through catran 200 something posts ye will see more than half are slagging off incomers from "doon sooth". :roll: It's this attitude that creates a huge divide in an otherwise great wee community like Lybster. Childish and sad really.

No you have it wrong, I for one have no objection whatsoever to Southerners, most play an important part in the everyday run of things in this county and i HAVE MANY friends who have Southern accents, just commenting on the number of South accents that was all ,that seems to be everywhere especially when it came to the Caithness accents which appear to be diminishing at an alarming rate of knots so I will as of now SHUT UP.................and I do apologise if one has been offended. I feel sorry that it has divided a small community and that is a shame. Why should it divide a community SURELY that is childish?

roadbowler
12-Oct-09, 22:52
aye, diminishing... the key word, diminishing because how else has property been available to 'incomers' catran? this is not a phenomena that only occurs in caithness you know. It is happening everywhere. People move around a lot these days. Times are a changing!