PDA

View Full Version : Threatened by a another member

DW
09-Apr-06, 12:55
Those of you who have read some of my posts know where I stand on the pussycat front...... Bored rigid, and yes, I know I don't need to open the threads. Things have moved on somewhat. [evil]

In a recent PM from one of the feline friends, there was a clear, implied threat that they have some kind of power to curtail those of us who don't agree with them.

The poster, whose identity is linked to one of the well-known beaches on Harris, sent me this.....

"...and no, you won't be as public about it as you like - because there are rules and let's just say that you're on a short lead as it is."

There is an implication that they have the 'inside-track' to knowledge with which they can threaten other members.This seems to say that the admins. discuss our status etc. with other members. I hope this is a wrong impression.

Now, it would certainly seem that somehow, this person and maybe some other pussy-lovers, feel they can decide who posts here and who doesn't.

I have this naive idea that forums should be places where differing viewpoints are aired. As long as the forum rules are followed, then opinions can be expressed, no matter how much we may disagree with them. I have checked the rules again, and can see no problems with my posts. 'Trolling' seems to imply a malicious intent; I am genuinely sick and tired of the emotional claptrap which surrounds cats in these parts.

What really concerns me is the concept that my Harris antagonist can threaten me with suspension or a ban, without me receiving any notification from the Admin chaps; just because I don't feel the same way about cats!

This also implies that there is a continuous 'whispering' campaign being conducted against those of us who don't toe certain party lines.

Comments are now awaited from the rest of you!!!!! :confused: :~(

willowbankbear
09-Apr-06, 13:03
I dont think much of cats eitherl D.w BUT you would be better off biting yer lip on here, most of the posters love cats. Why do you hate them so much?
Surely ye got attacked by a cat for you to hate them so much:roll: If you havnt, then I suggest ye go & see someone about your obsession:p :p

DW
09-Apr-06, 13:09
I don't dislike cats.............. I dislike the ridiculous loveydovey attitude that surrounds them.

This ceaseless anthropomorphing of these animals belittles them and can make them seem like other possessions - utter balderdash.

And yes, it will be sad when they eventually shuffle off this planet, but that is just what happens to everything including us.

It's now moved into the realm of censorship though.

willowbankbear
09-Apr-06, 13:19
That is shocking mate, You dont hate cats!!!!!

I understand what you mean though,but just bite yer tongue sir, ye are outnumbered 500-1 Im afraid[lol]

golach
09-Apr-06, 13:28
I don't dislike cats.............. I dislike the ridiculous loveydovey attitude that surrounds them.
This ceaseless anthropomorphing of these animals belittles them and can make them seem like other possessions - utter balderdash.
And yes, it will be sad when they eventually shuffle off this plane,t but that is just what happens to everything including us.
It's now moved into the realm of censorship though.

DW, I am classed as a cat person, I like cats, but I am in full agreement with you and your comments.
Cats are not the cute cuddly things that most cat lovers make out, they are the most deadly hunters in the Animal kingdom. Cats cannot be trained, not like a dog, cats are independant, and only stay with humans, because they choose to. Just see the number of post about cats going walk about, very rarely does a dog go walk about, it knows where its next meal is coming from.
I said I like cats, I dont have one currently, because I had to get my last cat put down because she had cancer, I wept buckets in the street out side the Vets, and let my wife hold her as the Vet put her to sleep, I just could not do it.
My cat was a member of our family, but for some reason she hated my nephew, and if he came in the house she would attack him, dont know why, he was the only person she did that too.

cuddlepop
09-Apr-06, 13:32
Dw,i have this very funny book with some wicked cartoons specifically aimed at Dogs.they are very funny and typically tounge in cheek.There is one with a cat and as you can imagine its not too kind to the cat.Well Mr Cuddlepop hates cats and it was him that stopped me from posting it as he said it would give me a ban[evil] .
I at times love my dog to the exclusion of all others but if said cartoon was posted with the dog being ridiculed,i still could have laughed.Some people have to get outmore.....:p

Tugmistress
09-Apr-06, 13:41
Hey DW,
i have cats, and i have dogs, and i have rabbits, and i have a family, you could say it is a zoo lol.
I love all my pets but i must agree that there does seem to be an OTT attitude sometimes about the 'cuddliness' of our furry critters, the feline variety, as pointed out, are hunters and very successful ones at that.
Fair enough if you find one dead with no tag or anything then by all meas post it up as it MAY help the owner discover it, but some stuff is too much even for me :)

Regarding your PM, i would actually report it to Niall, it sounds like it was very close to the bone in content and maybe the sender needs a reminder that forums are for open discussion.

connieb19
09-Apr-06, 13:44
I like cats, I have one myself, but I am in no way offended by Dw's posts. It's only a bit of fun. I have a long enough day at work taking things seriously, without coming on here to be all droll. If I see a post I don't like I just move on to the next one..:confused

Fluff
09-Apr-06, 14:04
im just confused as to what this thread is about lol!!

bingo1
09-Apr-06, 14:15
I dont really like cats at all. But i have sort of had my mind changed as i went to visit my aunt and she had a gray cat well my first thought was to catch the next train home. I stuck the holiday out and by the end of it i was thinking about getting a cat. He wanted to play with me, he wanted cuddles, he followed me everywhere and was very friendly. cats were not what i had first thought. Maybe you should get a kitten and give him a go. And i think that it is very sad that you have indeed been threatened, something should be done on this matter. Goodluck to you.

Jeid
09-Apr-06, 14:21
I totally agree with DW, I'm sick to the back teeth of cat threads. I never click on them but the number of cat posts on the general forum is depressing. Every other day there's a cat gone missing post, or cat been by a car post. Ok, I can imagine it's pretty traumatising losing an animal that so many of you class as "part of the family" but post on here ain't really gonna make much of a difference. If someone on here did run over your cat... do you think they are going to publicy admit to it? I think not. If your cat is lost, are you helping its cause further by continually posting about it? Kind of, but really you could be out there by looking for it. If your cat is lost, why not supply a picture of it. The descriptions I sometimes read are hazy at best, and to a non-cat lover, they are a little vague. Help us to help you.

DW, I think it's pretty horrendous that you've been "threatened" by another member. However, I'm also pretty sure that this isn't the correct way to go about this little problem you're having. If someone is threatening you, it shouldn't become public knowledge. Private Messages should be kept private unless you need to contact Admin. Contact Neill or Bill and tell them about it and forward on the PM you got.

bingo1
09-Apr-06, 14:25
I Agree 100%

MadPict
09-Apr-06, 14:27
Those of you who have read some of my posts know where I stand on the pussycat front...... Bored rigid, and yes, I know I don't need to open the threads. Things have moved on somewhat. [evil]

In a recent PM from one of the feline friends, there was a clear, implied threat that they have some kind of power to curtail those of us who don't agree with them.

Careful DW - it may be they have a black cat and a broomstick, rather than keys to the Admin Control Panel!!!

I don't know if Niall has appointed some Moderators in here and they are anonymous - I don't think he would - he'd make them clearly obvious to all.

But maybe this Cat Person is part of this mythical "Cleek" and along with the other "Cleekers" will rise up and ride like the Four Horsemen of the Acatolypse (or five Horsemen or more) through the Org dispatching all Foes of the Feline without mercy to the Land of No-Org, where they will rot in perpetual Error FourOhFour.....

I have similar feelings about a lot of threads here - I just watch with glee as they drop further and further into the vastness of Archive....

luskentyre
09-Apr-06, 14:27
Hands up - it was me. I'm not quite sure of the legitamicy of quoting private posts in a public thread but hey ho... It should be pointed out that this private discussion was initiated by DW after I left some negative feedback about a post I felt was insensitive.

DW - you're quick enough to cry "foul play" when it's you who is perceived as being "picked on" - but yet you claim the boards are fair play for any discussion. Indeed, I seem to recall you claiming that you reserved the right to wind up people as much as you liked. Am I wrong?

The so-called threat was just this - if you continue to wind people up (and you have done, on several occasions), you will be reported for "trolling". I never threatened you with a suspension or a ban - how could I?

So you don't like cats - fair enough. Does that give you the right to start a thread mocking one started by another member regarding a cat that was killed? Is that "expressing an opinion", or is it being downright nasty? I asked you to be considerate, to think about people who have maybe lost a pet recently. When I suggested that you laugh at such things in private, I was told

As I said already, I am clearly not the only one who finds this whole (or part, teehee) cat thing just a huge JOKE.

I'll be as public about it as I like................

I suggest you stop acting like the victim here, and I would also ask you (again) to have some consideration for other forum members.

DW
09-Apr-06, 14:54
DW, I think it's pretty horrendous that you've been "threatened" by another member. However, I'm also pretty sure that this isn't the correct way to go about this little problem you're having. If someone is threatening you, it shouldn't become public knowledge. Private Messages should be kept private unless you need to contact Admin. Contact Neill or Bill and tell them about it and forward on the PM you got.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I did forward it to Niall at the same time as I opened this thread.
However, I thought the situation deserved a public airing due to the nature and content of the threat.

I would hate someone who was similarly threatened, to be really upset. The threat itself meant nothing to me, it's just a bit of pink froth. [lol]

Jeid
09-Apr-06, 15:01
Hands up - it was me. I'm not quite sure of the legitamicy of quoting private posts in a public thread but hey ho... It should be pointed out that this private discussion was initiated by DW after I left some negative feedback about a post I felt was insensitive.

DW - you're quick enough to cry "foul play" when it's you who is perceived as being "picked on" - but yet you claim the boards are fair play for any discussion. Indeed, I seem to recall you claiming that you reserved the right to wind up people as much as you liked. Am I wrong?

The so-called threat was just this - if you continue to wind people up (and you have done, on several occasions), you will be reported for "trolling". I never threatened you with a suspension or a ban - how could I?

So you don't like cats - fair enough. Does that give you the right to start a thread mocking one started by another member regarding a cat that was killed? Is that "expressing an opinion", or is it being downright nasty? I asked you to be considerate, to think about people who have maybe lost a pet recently. When I suggested that you laugh at such things in private, I was told

I suggest you stop acting like the victim here, and I would also ask you (again) to have some consideration for other forum members.

Considering you have disabled Feedback, why bother leaving it for others?

DW
09-Apr-06, 15:05
Hands up - it was me. I'm not quite sure of the legitamicy of quoting private posts in a public thread but hey ho...
A message received privately is still just a message; if I, or anyone else wishes to publicise it then that is my prerogative. Legitimicy (sic) doesn't enter into it. Unless, of course, we should have even more rules!

DW - you're quick enough to cry "foul play" when it's you who is perceived as being "picked on" - but yet you claim the boards are fair play for any discussion.
There was nothing 'perceived' about the threat. It was there, in your message, and now for all to see. A discussion is a discussion - a threat is a threat.

Indeed, I seem to recall you claiming that you reserved the right to wind up people as much as you liked. Am I wrong?
That was a while ago now; I haven't indulged myself recently.

What is this then - "...and no, you won't be as public about it as you like - because there are rules and let's just say that you're on a short lead as it is." The implication is clear, that I need to be careful or else someone will jerk the short lead and make me 'come to heel' :lol:

So you don't like cats - fair enough. Does that give you the right to start a thread mocking one started by another member regarding a cat that was killed?

It is called satire; only known as the lowest form of wit by those who either don't get it or can't do it.[smirk]

luskentyre
09-Apr-06, 15:31
Considering you have disabled Feedback, why bother leaving it for others?

I wasn't aware I had. I noticed that it was disabled a few days ago and haven't yet explored how to enable it. Does that preclude me from leaving feedback?

luskentyre
09-Apr-06, 15:49
DW, I could answer each of your (selective) points in turn, but I really don't have the time, nor the inclination. You seem to view the forums as your playground, to offend people as much as you wish. However, as soon as someone crosses your boundaries, you complain, loudly

I see that as double-standards. We all have our viewpoints - and I can appreciate that not everyone likes cats, nor wants to see the forums cluttered with topics (on any subject) that they're not interested in.

However, there's a difference between making your views known and deliberately winding people up. You're say you're all for discussion, yet you "satirise" others, potentially hurt other people feelings and ridicule those who choose to use a public forum for a particular topic. Is that discussion?

As for being "threatened", I think you're completely over-reacting. The "short lead" I referred to was how long it would take me to report your behaviour.

pultneytooner
09-Apr-06, 15:51
Firstly, I don't always agree with your posts, dw, but hey, post what you like as long as it is within the rules of this forum and of course, that is for the administrators to decide.
If this member has a problem with your posts then they should have contacted an admin and left them to decide whether your posts broke the rules, instead of leaving veiled threats in pm.
Keep posting, DW, you make me mad and you make me laugh but I will always recognise your right to do both.

phoenix
09-Apr-06, 16:01
You spelt threatened wrongly DW! :p

2little2late
09-Apr-06, 16:07
If we're not careful I can see this massage board being closed down. If somebody reads a thread and isn't interested in it ignore it. If somebody wants to post sarcastic or offensive comments then leave it to the administrators to sort out. Or the offended person send a p.m. to admin. At least when it is done this way other users don't know who acted upon it.

It's about time the users on this board grew up and stopped getting too personal with each other. If you don't like what other people post then don't use it.

This is a discussion forum, not something where we slag each other off.
I remember in past threads there has been suggestions for all orgers to meet for a night out. Could just imagine it. It really would bring shame to Caithness, what with each and every one saying to each other.
"So, you're the so and so who disagreed with me on such and such a thread, well take that, WHACK!"

Stop getting too personal. If users want to send each other abusive or offensive pm's then sort it out between yourselves and the administrators.

It's about time certain users started to grow up and use this forum responsibly.

scorrie
09-Apr-06, 16:59
It doesn't come across as much of a threat the way I read it. Seems more like a warning that you might end up being suspended if you go too far.

You have made your feelings about cats more than clear, you have had your say on what is now bordering on obsessive numbers of occasions.

You don't like the way some people view cats but cats are clearly very important to some people on the boards. It takes all kinds of people to make a world and if you state that it is your right to have a certain opinion about cats then it is equally important for you to accept that others have the right to speak in a glowing and twee terms about cats as they feel necessary. Tolerance has to work both ways and many people seem to lose sight of that fact. If you are going to dangle tempting flies in the hope of getting a rise then don't be surprised when some of the fish start biting. Just ignore threads you know are going to unpalatable to your taste instead of plowtering into them with what has become predictable and boring comments that are as nauseating as any of the (for some people) schmaltzy cat threads.

I like cats and dogs but can understand those who do not share my view, I just can't understand why they need to make such a big show of that fact though.

WeeBurd
09-Apr-06, 17:00
If we're not careful I can see this massage board being closed down... snip

I didn't realise it was that kind of a board! :o And here's me, a respectable member of the community indulging on a massage board [lol] !

Seriously though, 2Little2Late has got it spot on... some people in here need to grow up and move on, or they'll spoil it for us all.

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 17:05
Gleeber's no very fond of Christianity, Golach hates drugs, I hate evrybody, Teuchter starves flying pigs. We are all offensive to each other,it is part of the fun but we laugh at it and remain friends I think. This sort of acrimony is getting us nowhere and we have lost enough interesting posters recently for one reason or an other. So DW winds people up? I have been a cat owner all my life and am very fond of the bleedin pests but nothing that DW has posted has offended me. The contents of some of the posts on this thread offend me but I am not moaning about it
DW, your elephant post has had me laughing since you posted it. Whoever you are, keep it up. There's not enough humour on this forum and we need annoyiong blighters like you to keep most of us laughing.

DW
09-Apr-06, 17:45
You spelt threatened wrongly DW! :p

Well spotted - fingers going faster than the brain!! :lol:

However, dear phoenix, I am intrigued that you felt able to point out the error when one considers some of the posts herein; it would appear that a misspelt word stands out in some posts more than others.............. From some members, you would have had your face chewed off while I merely praise your diligence.

Mabovvered? Amabovvered? Doalookbovvered? teehee.

DW
09-Apr-06, 17:48
I have been a cat owner all my life and am very fond of the bleedin pests but nothing that DW has posted has offended me. The contents of some of the posts on this thread offend me but I am not moaning about it
DW, your elephant post has had me laughing since you posted it. Whoever you are, keep it up. There's not enough humour on this forum and we need annoyiong blighters like you to keep most of us laughing.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the wee bit of satire, an old man's pleasure!!![smirk]

DW
09-Apr-06, 17:53
The "short lead" I referred to was how long it would take me to report your behaviour.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the old securitate syndrome. I have misbehaved all my life and I am certainly not going to stop now.

Remember mental stimulation is good for your brain ( assuming that you have one!) [lol]

Thanks for all the comments above, especially the ones who disagree with my feelings about the pm I received; I promise I won't report you!! [smirk]

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 18:40
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the old securitate syndrome. I have misbehaved all my life and I am certainly not going to stop now.

Remember mental stimulation is good for your brain ( assuming that you have one!) [lol]

Thanks for all the comments above, especially the ones who disagree with my feelings about the pm I received; I promise I won't report you!! [smirk]

Getting back to more serious and important matters, was it an African elephant or an Indian elephant you found last week?:D .

scotsboy
09-Apr-06, 18:47
Sorry but I just have to have a wee go at Golach here, he said about cats..and I quote:

they are the most deadly hunters in the Animal kingdom.

Are you including lions, tigers etc in this discussion Golach? If so I would be really interested if one went missing.

JAWS
09-Apr-06, 19:00
There seems to be quite a lot of background pressure being put on more than a few members by people who have nothing more than a differing view point.

The "Do things my way or I'll get you banned" attitude seems to have crept in quite a lot of late. I don't know if it went on previously but if it did it was something which certainly wasn't as blatant or constant as it seems to have become.

The Moderators have already been forced to ban discussions on Football because they found they were having to spend more time dealing with PMs and emails from people moaning than they were keeping the rest of the Org up to scratch.

I would suspect, from the way things seem to be developing, that the Moderators could well end up having to make a choice between running the Org for the benefit of Caithness and the Public or just sorting out the constant complaints and petty squabbles about the Board.
Should it come to that choice I suspect I know which they would choose, and I for one don't wish to lose the Board because some people refuse to tolerate others having a differing point of view.

And if anybody wishes to decide that what I have said is either "trolling" or "inflamatory" then tough, I will leave that for the Moderators to decide.
I, for one, trust them to make reasonable decisions without me trying to instruct them as to what they should or should not be doing! [mad]

DW
09-Apr-06, 19:06
Sorry but I just have to have a wee go at Golach here, he said about cats..and I quote:
Are you including lions, tigers etc in this discussion Golach? If so I would be really interested if one went missing.

From here - http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/species.html
the following

CAT FAMILY - common name for the Felidæ, an almost exclusively meat-eating family of mammals of the order Carnivora that are superbly adapted for their typically predatory life. All members of the family are closely similar in having a lithe and agile soft-furred body, acute vision and hearing, and claws and teeth that are highly adapted for grasping and tearing. The four genera, containing 37 species, naturally occur on all continents except Antarctica and Australia. The tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard, the so-called big cats, constitute the genus Panthera (formerly Leo). The clouded leopard is the sole species of the genus Neofelis, as is the cheetah of the genus Acinonyx.

More seriously though -

Getting back to more serious and important matters, was it an African elephant or an Indian elephant you found last week?:D .

It was actually a rare, lesser-spotted, Grumpussacrimonious elephant. Known to inhabit the uninhabitable reaches of the Wick river; characterised by the need to deposit large piles on small trays filled with a sandlike chemical compound. Also like to scratch its nails on your curtains.

phoenix
09-Apr-06, 19:20
Well spotted - fingers going faster than the brain!! :lol:

However, dear phoenix, I am intrigued that you felt able to point out the error when one considers some of the posts herein; it would appear that a misspelt word stands out in some posts more than others.............. From some members, you would have had your face chewed off while I merely praise your diligence.

Mabovvered? Amabovvered? Doalookbovvered? teehee.

Do I know you DW? You werent there that day were you? :eek: You dont mind if I dont use Apostrophes do you.......I really canna be Bovvered! :p and thanks for not chewing my face of....that was really nice of you! :Razz

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 19:47
From here - http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/species.html
the following

CAT FAMILY - common name for the Felidæ, an almost exclusively meat-eating family of mammals of the order Carnivora that are superbly adapted for their typically predatory life. All members of the family are closely similar in having a lithe and agile soft-furred body, acute vision and hearing, and claws and teeth that are highly adapted for grasping and tearing. The four genera, containing 37 species, naturally occur on all continents except Antarctica and Australia. The tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard, the so-called big cats, constitute the genus Panthera (formerly Leo). The clouded leopard is the sole species of the genus Neofelis, as is the cheetah of the genus Acinonyx.

More seriously though -

It was actually a rare, lesser-spotted, Grumpussacrimonious elephant. Known to inhabit the uninhabitable reaches of the Wick river; characterised by the need to deposit large piles on small trays filled with a sandlike chemical compound. Also like to scratch its nails on your curtains.

Ah the species otherwise known as Dirtyweekerus. I know it well

landmarker
09-Apr-06, 20:07
Leaving aside the problems of petty squabbles between board members....Cats are smelly, arrogant creatures who deposit poo (muck) on the gardens of those who do not own them Not that anyone really 'owns' a cat. They are haughty, independent creatures. There are exceptions. We had a cat for fifteen years who was very affectionate and showed a minimum of disdain for his human housemates. Now long gone, Mickey's territory is regularly used as a toilet by the neighborhood toms. Their pee stinks, and they predate on songbirds. In short they are surplus to requirements.
This is my opinion and whilst you are welcome to disagree with it I'd appreciate some objectivity in the defence of cats.

changilass
09-Apr-06, 20:30
Totally agree with you, even though we have a couple of dogs the garden is still dug up and poo'd on by the neighbourhood cats.

teuchter
09-Apr-06, 20:32
Gleeber's no very fond of Christianity, Golach hates drugs, I hate evrybody, Teuchter starves flying pigs. We are all offensive to each other,it is part of the fun but we laugh at it and remain friends I think. This sort of acrimony is getting us nowhere and we have lost enough interesting posters recently for one reason or an other. So DW winds people up? I have been a cat owner all my life and am very fond of the bleedin pests but nothing that DW has posted has offended me. The contents of some of the posts on this thread offend me but I am not moaning about it

I resent that comment Gleber2. ive never starved a flying pig, i regularly let them out to eat road kill. Theres loads of it going to waste lieing about the roads. And as for the bullying pm's, i really think thats 1 of the saddest things ive read on here. Bring on the laughs, please.

dirdyweeker
09-Apr-06, 20:47
Ah the species otherwise known as Dirtyweekerus. I know it well
did someone mention ME???

Foxy
09-Apr-06, 22:26
I thought the idea of the forum was to express your point of view, as long as you stick within the forum rules, everybody has an opinion on most thing DW's post haven't offended me he's entitled to his opinion and not be threatened for doing so. I have 6 cats and a dog and some of my family aren't fussed on them but it dosen't bother me.

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 22:40
did someone mention ME???

Hey,yur no an elephant are ye?

Bob M
09-Apr-06, 23:10
Leaving aside the problems of petty squabbles between board members....Cats are smelly, arrogant creatures who deposit poo (muck) on the gardens of those who do not own them Not that anyone really 'owns' a cat. They are haughty, independent creatures. There are exceptions. We had a cat for fifteen years who was very affectionate and showed a minimum of disdain for his human housemates. Now long gone, Mickey's territory is regularly used as a toilet by the neighborhood toms. Their pee stinks, and they predate on songbirds. In short they are surplus to requirements.
This is my opinion and whilst you are welcome to disagree with it I'd appreciate some objectivity in the defence of cats.

we hear a great deal about cat lovers on this forum and most of it absolute drivel, such as, "cats cannot be trained like dogs" my granny always had cats and they were never allowed to roam and deficate on other peoples property! they are perfectly trainable and I have known quite recently two that were taken out on leads like dogs they were perfectly happy with this and had never known anything else. It would be a welcome change to have some objectivity as Landmarker says, and even some common sense about cats which are only second to man when it comes to being evil. What other animal tortures its prey just for fun! Keep up the humour DW, your antagonist needs to grow up!

DW
09-Apr-06, 23:55
Ladies and gentlemen,
verily I say unto you, I am surely humbled by your thoughts.

There is much wisdom and sincerity to be found among the members of this forum and I commend you and thank you for that.

Let us try to keep humour (of all types) at the forefront and not let those who wish to silence us, succeed.

Remember, as my grandaddy used to say ........................... "the only good pussy is -------[smirk] -------".

scorrie
10-Apr-06, 00:55

You are merely one man with one opinion. Millions of people keep cats as pets, I don't think they need to post here to give you their reasons for liking the animal. Cats pee stinks so that they can mark their territory, they kill to eat, it is our fault that we feed them and sometimes they don't have to eat what they kill through instinct.

People smell, people urinate and defecate as much as the next animal. People are arrogant. Your opinion has as much right as the next person on here but I have to say that, based on your overall input, it is not an opinion I value at all.

My cat will be lying on the couch with a full belly tomorrow and not a care in the world. I assume you will be pulling a long haul on the lorry with only a Yorkie bar for company. Who is the clever one?

luskentyre
10-Apr-06, 01:04
Ah yes – very smug DW. I’ll admit you’re extremely clever at twisting things around and everyone has rallied around – good for you! Even the thread title “threatened by a another member” is exaggeration in the extreme – but why let that get in the way of a good posting?

Humour is a wonderful thing, unless it’s at the expense of others – and that was the only thing I tried to impress upon you. Like it or not, some people are very fond of their pets and get extremely upset when they go missing or get killed. The next time someone’s pet is killed why don’t you start a thread on how funny it is? I’m sure the owners won’t appreciate it, but as long as it’s funny then who cares?

I’m reminded why I rarely post to the forums. Some people are more concerned with scoring points and putting others down – rather than entering into real discussion. All I asked is that you have some consideration for others feelings and this thread is the result.

So, carry on – belittle people to your hearts content. Have a laugh at others expense. Remember to twist words to your own end and then complain loudly when things aren’t going your way. I for one won’t be around to read it.

DW
10-Apr-06, 10:48
The following quote has been edited to completely alter the meaning. [lol]

Ah yes DW. I’ll admit you’re extremely clever good for you!
Ah... you are too kind, flattery will get you nowhere. I'm still in the huff with you!

I’m reminded why I rarely post to the forums.

Clearly, not rarely enough!

Have a laugh at others (sic) expense. Remember to twist words to your own end. I for one won’t be around to read it.

Laughs had and words twisted, as you requested.
But then again, you won't be around to read it.
I did say earlier that I don't respond well to threats, I hope this puts an end to the whole cat thing.

(That's not 'whole' as opposed to selected bits of a cat; it's 'whole' in terms of the collective posts by feline people and my completely reckless, unfeeling, insensitive, and vaguely humourous responses ;) )

willowbankbear
10-Apr-06, 11:27
Bad news D.W, theres reports of a dead cat in Henderson street, so I dont think everyone is with you on a reduction of `cat thread`s` or a total moggie[lol] ban mate

DW
10-Apr-06, 11:54
Bad news D.W, theres reports of a dead cat in Henderson street, so I dont think everyone is with you on a reduction of `cat thread`s` or a total moggie[lol] ban mate
You cannae pin this on me
A wisnae there
A didnae see a thing
A big boy did it and ran away

JAWS
10-Apr-06, 16:21
There's a poor little dead bunny between Wick and Thrumster if anybody has lost one.

Gleber2
10-Apr-06, 17:00
There's a poor little dead bunny between Wick and Thrumster if anybody has lost one.

Leave it for Tuechter's flying pig.

landmarker
10-Apr-06, 18:13
You are merely one man with one opinion. Millions of people keep cats as pets, I don't think they need to post here to give you their reasons for liking the animal. Cats pee stinks so that they can mark their territory, they kill to eat, it is our fault that we feed them and sometimes they don't have to eat what they kill through instinct.

People smell, people urinate and defecate as much as the next animal. People are arrogant. Your opinion has as much right as the next person on here but I have to say that, based on your overall input, it is not an opinion I value at all.

My cat will be lying on the couch with a full belly tomorrow and not a care in the world. I assume you will be pulling a long haul on the lorry with only a Yorkie bar for company. Who is the clever one?

Your point escapes me. Do you mean I have an inferior intellect to a domestic cat? If so you have been spending too much time with your four legged friend and not enough with fellow humans, the dimmest of which are immeasurably more brainy than any moggy you might mention.

Your stereotypical jibes about 'yorkie bars' and 'long hauls are
predictably rather silly. Go move the cat off your sofa and have a lie down.
Cleaning the cat hairs off your clothes afterwards - assuming you bother - will be another cat related chore you can look forward to.

Gleber2
10-Apr-06, 18:21
Your point escapes me. Do you mean I have an inferior intellect to a domestic cat? If so you have been spending too much time with your four legged friend and not enough with fellow humans, the dimmest of which are immeasurably more brainy than any moggy you might mention.

Cleaning the cat hairs off your clothes afterwards - assuming you bother - will be another cat related chore you can look forward to.

If the cat fits, wear it!!![smirk]

doyle
10-Apr-06, 18:34
DW - I should have spoken out before now so here goes - looks like you've rattled a few cages in this forum, not just mine, with your childish post about the elephant - mocking my GENUINE post about the cat. Yes, many thought your post was funny, but did they realise how that post came about? If you are so anti-cat then why do you bother?! If it was me that was so anti-cat I would choose to ignore these posts rather than upset anyone. If its just to upset people and wind them up then you have a weird sense of humour if you ask me! I thought it best just to ignore you in the hope that you would just disappear (no such luck), but after reading this thread I just had to reply. I'm surprised you've never been suspended from here (or maybe you have in the past) for your insensitive comments and posts. In future please have SOME consideration for other peoples feelings - I'm sure even you could manage that?! I know I will think twice about starting a thread again - maybe you should think twice about how you reply to threads.

Luskentyre - thankyou for your opinions in this thread and to everyone else that posted who was upset by this. I never realised just how many people had been affected by one persons idea of a joke.

Liz
10-Apr-06, 18:50
For goodness sake why on earth is there such hostility towards cats?!!!!

I have watched this thread from the 'sidelines' and have not joined in what, quite frankly, belongs in the playground rather than a forum for supposedly intelligent adults.

However, I feel I must speak up in defence of these poor creatures who have been described , amongst others' as 'smelly arrogant creatures who deposit poo' and 'surplus to requirements'.

Cats (and other animals) provide much needed companionship for many people including elderly, disabled and people living on their own.
They never judge and give unconditional love.

On a personal note I cannot work due to illness and if it were not for my dog and four cats there are many days I wouldn't want to bother getting out of bed!
So I, and am sure many others, will have been hurt by the totally unnecessary comments made by DW and co.

Since when did someone find humour in the death of an innocent animal or the pain of someone whose much loved pet has gone missing?.

I totally realise that someone will reply to this with more of the same and I honestly think this is why so many people either don't make posts or have left caithness.org altogether. It is the fact that there are people who take pleasure in belittling, and antagonising others and will always have the last word!

I will continue to start threads regarding cats when necessary as there are so many unwanted cats needing homes and it is my right to use this forum without feeling intimidated.

We, as humans, have a wonderful privilege called freedom of choice and DW and co I suggest you use this and avoid all threads about cats since they disturb you so much!

scorrie
10-Apr-06, 19:16

My point is that your opinion is worth nothing to me. You are given the sterotypical jibes because you come across as the stereotypical bigot and racist. You did not even have the integrity to go through with your threat to leave these boards when you threw your toys out of the pram concerning threads that you had had removed. I note that you cited support as a reason for staying, what you probably don't realise is that people here love someone making an erse of themselves, particularly so if they are English into the bargain.

I seriously do not see you having thought through your criticism of cats at all. For goodness sake it is a wild creature only domesticated to a certain extent. You cannot expect cats to have mastered the art of the water closet or have discovered the joys of deodorant, although I have heard of a Lynx that has ;o). Man is a more deadly and ruthless hunter than any animal and human beings can be incredibly stupid. I spend time with cats AND people, often I find the cats have more integrity.

ps my cat loves people and doesn't mind whether they are homosexual, black, white, male or female. How many people can truly say they feel the same way?

DW
10-Apr-06, 19:49
DW - I should have spoken out before now so here goes - looks like you've rattled a few cages in this forum, not just mine, with your childish post about the elephant - mocking my GENUINE post about the cat. Yes, many thought your post was funny, but did they realise how that post came about? If you are so anti-cat then why do you bother?!
You say mocking, I say satirising - just 2 different opinions, neither of which has any more moral or intellectual standing than the other.

I'm surprised you've never been suspended from here (or maybe you have in the past) for your insensitive comments and posts. In future please have SOME consideration for other peoples feelings - I'm sure even you could manage that?! I know I will think twice about starting a thread again - maybe you should think twice about how you reply to threads.
Why on earth should anyone be suspended for having a different opinion about cats, an opinion which you choose to interprete as insensitive.
I happen to like dogs; I have a dog; I wept like a baby when my first dog had to be killed due to old age. I expect I will do the same with the current canine.
I just don't expect the rest of the world to feel the same - so why should you???
And why do all you cat people want to report everyone or get them suspended because they don't feel like you do? Who died and made you king of the hill?

canuck
10-Apr-06, 19:49
... I note that you cited support as a reason for staying, what you probably don't realise is that people here love someone making an erse of themselves,

I enter the fray, not because of cats, elephants, racism or pram toys. I was one of the people who supported Landmarker in his decision to continue to be part of the mix. It was not over agreement or disagreement with his views and opinions. It was to do with my concern over the very fragile nature of an internet forum as a tool for modern communication. In the olden days of the village soap box or the familiar pub for after class debate, we had the advantage of real live contact. We could see our fellow debaters' faces, and they could hear the tone in our voices. Those components of communication have been removed in this medium. Now we must experiment to make internet conversation work for our emerging world. It is so easy to get it wrong, type the thing that really ticks off the reader friend. And it is easy to walk away. I asked Landmarker not to. I wanted to keep working for a better model. He agreed. I thank him for it.

DW
10-Apr-06, 20:01
For goodness sake why on earth is there such hostility towards cats?!!!!
I think you will find that the hostility is towards the fluffy little humans that attach themselves to these excellent carnivores.

I have watched this thread from the 'sidelines' and have not joined in what, quite frankly, belongs in the playground rather than a forum for supposedly intelligent adults.
Ohhh a catty remark there..[lol]

Since when did someone find humour in the death of an innocent animal or the pain of someone whose much loved pet has gone missing?.

Human beings have made light of pain, suffering, death, life, hunger etc. since the dawn of time. Some people don't like that; I bear them no ill.

I tried to not get upset at people laughing at the tragic picture of a dead elephant being hauled away by a crane, and somehow I managed it.

I will continue to start threads regarding cats when necessary as there are so many unwanted cats needing homes and it is my right to use this forum without feeling intimidated.
I believe I have the same right which is why I responded thus to a threat from a member who was clearly attempting intimidation. When the intimidation failed, humiliation/ridicule was also attempted...... failed also.[smirk]

We, as humans, have a wonderful privilege called freedom of choice and DW and co I suggest you use this and avoid all threads about cats since they disturb you so much!
Absolutely correct,
but actually you are defeating your own argument about choice by suggesting that I avoid certain threads thereby removing my choice. But hey, I won't get picky if you stop being catty!!:D

scorrie
10-Apr-06, 20:12
I enter the fray, not because of cats, elephants, racism or pram toys. I was one of the people who supported Landmarker in his decision to continue to be part of the mix. It was not over agreement or disagreement with his views and opinions. It was to do with my concern over the very fragile nature of an internet forum as a tool for modern communication. In the olden days of the village soap box or the familiar pub for after class debate, we had the advantage of real live contact. We could see our fellow debaters' faces, and they could hear the tone in our voices. Those components of communication have been removed in this medium. Now we must experiment to make internet conversation work for our emerging world. It is so easy to get it wrong, type the thing that really ticks off the reader friend. And it is easy to walk away. I asked Landmarker not to. I wanted to keep working for a better model. He agreed. I thank him for it.

If we are going to allow a free for all on these boards then we will also destroy the boards. The moderators have to decide where the line is drawn. I was completely neutral about whether Landmarker went or stayed. I just think that once you have made a decision then you should stick by it. I don't agree that it is easy to walk away, I would think that most people post here because they enjoy it, to give that up cannot be easy in my opinion.

I am not bothered by Landmarker's opinions in themselves, although I disagree with some of them, I just think he puts them across in a manner that is a bit crass and not very logically thought out. Stating that cats were "surplus to requirements" for example, is not a very well considered phrase given the current sensitivities on the topic. Other comments about "poofters" is debate that I, for one, can live without quite happily.

One advantage we do have in this forum, as opposed to the pub debate, is that ones teeth are a lot safer over an ethernet connection ;o)

doyle
10-Apr-06, 21:52
DW -
Did I say I wanted you suspended? - No
Did I say I reported you? - No
Am I claiming to be "King of the Hill"? - No
The only one that is dead is my cat (funny eh?)
I am not a "cat person" as you so care to label me - in fact I have no cats now, (my last one got killed on the road remember?) - I have 2 dogs.
Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I couldn't care less what your opinion(s) are regarding cats or any other animal for that matter.
What I do care about is the way you "ridicule" (is that a better word to describe your "humour" then?) the death of someone's pet.
I don't "choose to interpret" your post as insensitive - it was - end of story.
Would you have found it hilarious if someone had ridiculed/mocked (call it whatever you like, but it ain't humour) you when your pet dog was put down?
I don't think so!
I am fairly new to this forum and not sure how much I can say. I am gutted already by some peoples responses to other peoples loss of their pets - it makes me sick. Opinion is one thing - being downright nasty is another. I rest my case.

Before you reply DW - whatever......................

DW
10-Apr-06, 23:51
Opinion is one thing - being downright nasty is another. I rest my case.

Before you reply DW - whatever......................
Listen buddy, I'm nowhere near nasty, just point out the nasty bit then. Remember, this started because I was threatened by someone else eh.

phoenix
11-Apr-06, 00:03
Listen buddy, I'm nowhere near nasty, just point out the nasty bit then. Remeber, this started because I was threatened by someone else eh.

You missed out the M in remember DW :p............You being threatened DW OMG I wonder why that would be......errmm?:confused:

ice box
11-Apr-06, 00:07
You missed out the M in remember DW :p............You being threatened DW OMG I wonder why that would be......errmm?:confused:
Doesnt should like a threat to me it sound that he has upset someone again he seems to be good at that latley eh

Whitewater
11-Apr-06, 00:11
I never have problems with cats. I just report them to the dog, and he solves them all.

Whitewater
11-Apr-06, 00:22
On reading through this thread the "noise abatement" man thinks that, "everyone ith loothing the plath about catth, what nonthenth, you thould all go back through thith thread and laugh at yourthelveth when you thee what rubbith you have thet out on thith thread for otherth to take theriouthly"

Gleber2
11-Apr-06, 00:24
On reading through this thread the "noise abatement" man thinks that, "everyone ith loothing the plath about catth, what nonthenth, you thould all go back through thith thread and laugh at yourthelveth when you thee what rubbith you have thet out on thith thread for otherth to take theriouthly"

I think I have to agree with you but I'm not sure.[lol]

doyle
11-Apr-06, 00:45
Listen buddy, I'm nowhere near nasty, just point out the nasty bit then. Remeber, this started because I was threatened by someone else eh.

Whatever .......................
If you think back you will find that this all started because of your elephant post, not because you were threatened by someone as you say. And BTW I ain't your "buddy" - mate! :p

Bingobabe
11-Apr-06, 01:06
DW i am lead to belive that you are a teacher? If you are supposed to be so intellegent why do you lack the brains to grasp the fact that you have upset several people.Not only does it appear that you lack intelligence but human compassion springs to mind.

Chobbersjnr
11-Apr-06, 01:24
I got two cats one's getting larger & the other is cleaning itself out of existance

Sometimes I could willingly commit cattocide. They quite often drive me up the wall, seem to know just when you need silence the most go nuts in, don't care if you get your feet covered in dead (varied) animal entrails when you stumble through at the top of the day & some of the smells that surround them are quite nasty but HEY aint they cute

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

well if they stick their claws in my knee again I'll drop kick them out the window.........................bring on the mog squad (after they've seen to DW)

elesheep 4 eva (sod it flying elesheep)
Cjnr

Chobbersjnr
11-Apr-06, 01:27
DW i am lead to belive that you are a teacher? If you are supposed to be so intellegent why do you lack the brains to grasp the fact that you have upset several people.Not only does it appear that you lack intelligence but human compassion springs to mind.

it's a free speech forum (following the rules) if people weren't upsetting other people how boring life would be

& I had a teacher once threaten to give detention for arguing that 9x0 actually made 0 & not 1

Moira
11-Apr-06, 01:43

Bingobabe - I think DW has grasped the fact that he/she has caused upset & actually thrives on it. I suspect this is exactly the reaction DW is looking for. Even when DW posted under the more "feminine" name of Sweaty Betty, the compassion was missing. I thought DW's comments on the Dunblane thread were particularly unfeeling & unnecessary.

If DW is indeed a teacher, then his/her posts here are all the more shocking.

JAWS
11-Apr-06, 03:51
So some people post with what certain other people consider to be "bad taste".
Contrary to common belief, this will not bring about the end of civilisation as we know it, neither will it cause the board to dive into the depth of moral degradation.

So some people don't like cats and some do. Some people wish to post about them as wonderful little cuddly furry things and some with to describe them as the very devil incarnate. Tough, get used to it.

I wish cats no harm, in fact I rather like them, but animals do go missing and animals die.
I don't like the thought of them suffering, but it sure ain't going to keep me awake at night. There are far more distressing things in the world to bother about than the odd cat, dog, sheep, pig, goat or any other such creature.

If taste was the criteria that things are to be judged by then I would have three quarters of the comedy programmes off the TV and all of the soaps along with many other things.
But such things I consider to be my own personal opinion. That does not give me the right to demand that others should cease to think they are wonderful.

DW, and others, are just as entitled to their opinions as the cat lovers are to theirs.

I'm off the drown my sorrows now. I can't stop worrying about that poor dead parrot never seeing the Fjords ever again! Poor little thing!

Ricco
11-Apr-06, 09:23
Hey, Whitewater - love your impression of Jar-Jar Spinks lisping after being zapped by the pod racer. Great!

elaine
11-Apr-06, 09:45
Here's an idea:

Next time DW offends anyone with his comic-book villain comments, try ignoring it. He seems to get a strange kind of glee (mwahaha!) from watching the whole thing unravel, adding in the odd jibe here and there to keep everyone riled up. I think a "no reaction" reaction would be hilarious - no threats, no replies, no nothing - then see how quick it disppears down the page - hee hee.

There's no point in getting wound up over this - I don't think his comments are ever serious (he's trying to be funny - sorry "satirical") and if that's what floats his boat, let him get on with it - but don't let it affect your blood pressure!!

Rats, this reply has just put it to the top again - D'OH!!

candyfloss
11-Apr-06, 10:18
Great idea Elaine:Razz
Thats what i've been trying to do.
If everyone DW wound up did this it would be really funny:Razz :Razz

Niall Fernie
11-Apr-06, 10:33
Here's a better idea, Click on DWs name, then click "View Public Profile", then when the page loads, click on "Add DW to my ignore list", voilla, you will no longer see any of DWs posts.

DW
11-Apr-06, 10:41

You can be lead(sic) [although personally I prefer the more valuable metals] to belive(sic) whatever you want, the reality may be somewhat different.
I never laid any claim to having a particular type of employment or to even being intellegent(sic) :confused:
Why are people getting so upset? That is their choice - if you check the posts through some threads, I have actually said very little about cats -let me repeat it - it is the people who own the catsand their attitudes that get my hump.

DW
11-Apr-06, 10:49
Here's a better idea, Click on DWs name, then click "View Public Profile", then when the page loads, click on "Add DW to my ignore list", voilla, you will no longer see any of DWs posts.

Excellent advice from our impartial, omnipresent deity above.

But think of the fun you might be missing if you keep reading.....:o)
Voila(I don't know how to 'do' accents), life is great here on the org.

DW
11-Apr-06, 10:59
I thought DW's comments on the Dunblane thread were particularly unfeeling & unnecessary.
I have checked back and noted that the posts I made there actually stimulated an interesting debate about the concept of grief, private and public. Here is a short description of the first forum ever -
The Forum was the main marketplace and business center, where the ancient Romans went to do their banking, trading, shopping, and marketing. It was also a place for public speaking. The ancient Romans were great orators.

They loved to talk The job of their orators was not to argue, but to argue persuasively!

People thronging the Forum would stop and listen, then wander away to do their shopping, and perhaps leave a gift at a temple for one of their gods.

Surely that is exactly what happened in the Dunblane thread, however some people around here seem to incapable of understanding debate and only want others to agree with them.

If DW is indeed a teacher, then his/her posts here are all the more shocking.
Please explain how this alleged job makes what anyone says 'shocking'.

Julia
11-Apr-06, 11:04
Here's an idea:

Next time DW offends anyone with his comic-book villain comments, try ignoring it. He seems to get a strange kind of glee (mwahaha!) from watching the whole thing unravel, adding in the odd jibe here and there to keep everyone riled up. I think a "no reaction" reaction would be hilarious - no threats, no replies, no nothing - then see how quick it disppears down the page - hee hee.

There's no point in getting wound up over this - I don't think his comments are ever serious (he's trying to be funny - sorry "satirical") and if that's what floats his boat, let him get on with it - but don't let it affect your blood pressure!!

A sensible suggestion me thinks! It's a personal choice to read posts knowing full well that what you read may upset you. Go ahead if you have a thick-skin but the more sensitive orgers may wish to take either Elaine or Niall's advice.

Chobbersjnr
11-Apr-06, 14:12
I wonder if the afghans & the iraquies think an ignoring policie will work on bush or whatever countries he happens to be playing missile golf with....................& these are only human beings mindyou

Har har far less important than cats..............lol

people are to serious

A computer screen with a bunch of names....................if this was a public house you'd all be barred for assault

Come & fly your pig wi me DW

Liz
11-Apr-06, 15:11
Why have so many people inferred that those of us who care for animals do so to the exclusion of everything else?

We are quite capable of caring for people as well! Well some!!!:roll:

JAWS
11-Apr-06, 16:01
Here's an idea:

Rats, this reply has just put it to the top again - D'OH!!
Elaine, I don't think anybody could have put it better.

Unfortunately I suspect some people just get their kicks by looking for posts to get wound up about so they can enjoy moaning and trying to get others into trouble.
What it generally means is that somebody doesn't quite see things in the same way that they want them to and that's what offends them.

Niall also put it very well. If you don't like what certain posters have to say then don't read them. It's not rocket science.

If you insist on doing something again and again and again knowing full well it is going to annoy you then who's to blame?
It's as sensible as constantly banging your head against a brick wall and then complaining about the wall.
Just stop doing it. Problem solved!

I wonder if Mrs Slocombe ever found her pussy? [para]
"I'm Free!"

Chobbersjnr
11-Apr-06, 16:27
[quote=JAWS]
It's as sensible as constantly banging your head against a brick wall and then complaining about the wall.
Just stop doing it. Problem solved!
quote]

excellent LMAO:lol: :lol:

watch this space for the sycophantic sheep (punk baroque with reggae overtones)

Cjnr

Niall Fernie
11-Apr-06, 16:28
Really the simple answer has been given, but due to the recent upsurge in Trolling, the suspension is now being raised to 1 month, so if you are not interested in a thread/topic, avoid it.

DW
11-Apr-06, 17:39
Really the simple answer has been given, but due to the recent upsurge in Trolling, the suspension is now being raised to 1 month, so if you are not interested in a thread/topic, avoid it.
More excellent advice - nevertheless, I feel that a mischevious reminder from the 'Rules for Caithness.Org Forums' would be timeous -

"Trolling"
This describes various practices including, starting a thread with a view to raising the tempers of others, bringing back to the top old threads that have died out naturally with a pointless quip, needling other members into a pointless argument.
I assume this means a post that is specifically entered for "needling other members" and not just for humour; I accept that this is, as the man with the wooden leg said, a matter of opinion.
However, could this post, http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=79989&postcount=26 be said to have a small element of a troll to it, given the post title as well. [lol] [lol]
Personally, I think it IS funny.................

katarina
11-Apr-06, 18:01
I suggest ye go & see someone about your obsession:p :p

Shouldn't that be pussession?

scorrie
11-Apr-06, 18:25

That is all very logical, however would it not be better if if the person causing the upset was simply mature enough to ignore the threads that clearly bother them in the first place? Instead, every opportunity is taken to wind some people up, it is clearly not for humour but for annoyance that they post. There are only so many jokes you can crack about cats and elephants before it gets a bit stale.

I also think that if you are going to use an ignore list to blank out certain posters input, you not only lose the gist of the thread but you also open the door for others to say that they should be able to post anything THEY want and if others don't like it then simply click a button.

ps I was not allowed the freedom of speech to use the name of Scooby Doo's lanky friend in the quiz the other week. Did you hear me complaining?

JAWS
11-Apr-06, 20:03
That is all very logical, however would it not be better if if the person causing the upset was simply mature enough to ignore the threads that clearly bother them in the first place? Instead, every opportunity is taken to wind some people up, it is clearly not for humour but for annoyance that they post. There are only so many jokes you can crack about cats and elephants before it gets a bit stale.

I also think that if you are going to use an ignore list to blank out certain posters input, you not only lose the gist of the thread but you also open the door for others to say that they should be able to post anything THEY want and if others don't like it then simply click a button.

ps I was not allowed the freedom of speech to use the name of Scooby Doo's lanky friend in the quiz the other week. Did you hear me complaining?
Scorrie, is that a suggestion that Niall should ban DW simply because some people find his/her jokes to be either in bad taste or stale?

What you are suggesting is that if a few people with a certain point of view decide to make a lot of fuss over somebody else's opinions then they should be banned.

Sorry, but I for one would strongly object to such a suggestion.
That idea is nothing more or less than the law of the Lynch Mob.

"Lets all gang up on "so and so" then we can get rid of them!"

What a wonderful idea! After DW, who can we pick on next!

Perhaps you could start a poll to run every week.
"Most Hated of the Week!" and the top one gets a permanent ban.
You could even run it on a descending scale.
Top five a complete ban. Next five a years ban, Following five a six months ban and so on down to a weeks ban.

That way you could enjoy posting your own opinions between yourselves and there would be nobody to upset you!

The only complaint I have about what is happening on the board is that there is a growing penchant amongst certain members to try and fuss and complain in order get other members banned.

As far as I am concerned such attitudes are ruining and indeed stopping the good natured banter which used to occur.
As soon as any banter occurs some immediately attempt to turn it into a slanging match and start throwing accusations about.
All it shows is that some people have a complete lack of tolerance and wish to behave like bullies towards members they disagree with.

obiron
11-Apr-06, 20:08
your on form the day jaws.

marion
We love and enjoy our domesticated cat Pearl. She keeps me happy in my old age. She is always ready to share her love with us here in the confines of our home. We could not ask for a better companion.

susan.leith
Totally bored with this now.......

Gleber2
11-Apr-06, 20:28
Scorrie, is that a suggestion that Niall should ban DW simply because some people find his/her jokes to be either in bad taste or stale?

What you are suggesting is that if a few people with a certain point of view decide to make a lot of fuss over somebody else's opinions then they should be banned.

Top five a complete ban. Next five a years ban, Following five a six months ban and so on down to a weeks ban.

That way you could enjoy posting your own opinions between yourselves and there would be nobody to upset you!

The only complaint I have about what is happening on the board is that there is a growing penchant amongst certain members to try and fuss and complain in order get other members banned.

As far as I am concerned such attitudes are ruining and indeed stopping the good natured banter which used to occur.
As soon as any banter occurs some immediately attempt to turn it into a slanging match and start throwing accusations about.
All it shows is that some people have a complete lack of tolerance and wish to behave like bullies towards members they disagree with.

Jaws, you have wonderful knack of getting to the nub of things. I couldn't agree with you more. The banter when good natured is the greatest part of being on this forum and when the MUNDANE threads start to dominate and the humour vanishes then the forum becomes dull and uninteresting. If the whiners and complainers were to have their way there would be no point in posting.

Keep up the diatribes. When you're good you're amazing.:o

scorrie
11-Apr-06, 21:02

Here boy, calm down. You have taken this a bit far, without bothering to let me answer your original question.

I am not asking for anyone to be banned, I have never directed a complaint to the moderators of this board and I have never left rep of any sort for anyone on this board.

I am merely stating that it is somewhat ironic to tell people who are unhappy just to ignore someone, when the problem could be circumvented if the person causing the unhappiness was mature enough to leave it alone. I don't mind banter at all but an obsession with posting comments that you know will annoy some people is not banter as I know it, far less good-natured banter.

Give me a chance to answer the question next time, before letting your Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.

JAWS
11-Apr-06, 23:41
Here boy, calm down. You have taken this a bit far, without bothering to let me answer your original question.

I am not asking for anyone to be banned, I have never directed a complaint to the moderators of this board and I have never left rep of any sort for anyone on this board.

I am merely stating that it is somewhat ironic to tell people who are unhappy just to ignore someone, when the problem could be circumvented if the person causing the unhappiness was mature enough to leave it alone. I don't mind banter at all but an obsession with posting comments that you know will annoy some people is not banter as I know it, far less good-natured banter.

Give me a chance to answer the question next time, before letting your Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.
Oh dear, please feel free to answer the question.

The accusation, as I understand it, was that DW was simply posting in order to wind people up. I would take that to mean that he was intentionally violating the rule called "Trolling" which expressly forbids such actions.
To make a direct accusation, which is what you are obviously doing, that somebody is intentionally breaking a rule for which the punishment is a ban can only lead me to view that in one way.
I simply link the accusation as an attempt to guide peoples thoughts towards implementing the proscribed punishment.

Unless, of course, you are not suggesting that DW is, in fact, just trying to wind people up.

If you are not directing your comments towards the Moderators then why quote Niall’s post about simply adding DW to your ignore list and then setting about suggesting that by doing that will encourage others to post “anything THEY want”.
Again, I connect that suggestion with an intention to direct peoples thoughts towards forming an opinion that using the ignore list will simply encourage others to violate the rules at will whilst using the excuse, “Well, if they don’t like the 'filth' I am posting, they can always press the “Ignore” button!”

Of course, I may have interpreted your post in a completely different manner to everybody else.

In view of the reactions to some of DW and others comments, I hardly think I am the only one with a tendency to “clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response”, in fact it would seem to have become quite an epidemic over the most trivial things . .

If everybody complained everytime they saw somebody post something they found annoying then there would be no board at all. You would be surprised how many thing I could find that annoyed me if I really tried and I suspect a lot of other could also.

I suppose that all this could just be written off as just another case of me letting my “Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.”
Should you consider it so then so be it. You are entitled to that opinion, I don't mind.

Unless of course you wish to accuse me also of posting this reply in order “simply to wind people up” and/or for the “annoyance of others”.
If you feel that way then please say so, I won’t take offence, it’s simply not worth the effort.
I’ll just do what I do with everything else and treat it as a joke. There’s very little in this world that I don’t find amusing.
I do so hope that my trying to see a funny side in everything doesn't cause too many people to become distressed. :roll:

Then again, I suppose they could always conclude that I was just being catty!

golach
12-Apr-06, 09:46
Jaws, you have wonderful knack of getting to the nub of things. I couldn't agree with you more. The banter when good natured is the greatest part of being on this forum and when the MUNDANE threads start to dominate and the humour vanishes then the forum becomes dull and uninteresting. If the whiners and complainers were to have their way there would be no point in posting.

Keep up the diatribes. When you're good you're amazing.:o

Oh how I hate doing this, but needs must, Gleber2, I have to agree with you on this one and with Jaws also.
Oh I'm off to lie down is a dark room now to recover, I dont know whats come over me.:lol:

scorrie
12-Apr-06, 12:39
Oh dear, please feel free to answer the question.

I replied to Niall's post because he was the person suggesting the use of the ignore button. You talk of the board becoming poorer for some comments not being allowed, surely a board where members are encouraged simply to ignore other members has already become a poorer place? That is my point. I fully accept that the less posters there are on a board the less depth there is to that board. What I don't see the need for is repeatedly posting in a subject area that does not interest you, supposedly in the name of humour. Mention is made of mundane threads, however one person's mundane is interesting for another. If a board is not stimulating enough for someone surely they should seek out more cerebral sites?

The implication is also that people should not be over-sentimental about cats because worse things happen in the world. Life is what the person living it makes of it. We all make choices about what is important to us in this world and, collectively, as the human race, we are probably, as someone else suggested in an earlier thread, insane.

My view on this is that DW has, rightfully, made his opinion on cats clear. Why not be happy with that and leave it. It is obvious that other people have different sensitivities and they have pointed out that they are upset by certain comments. Wouldn't the adult thing be to just ignore the threads that seem to end up causing upset to both sides, instead of seeming obsessed with this notion of free speech?

As far as the supposed banter arguement goes, if you were in a public place and trying to crack "banter" with someone else and realised quickly that it was upsetting them, then I am sure you would leave it alone and not keep doing it telling them that you had the right to free speech. Nor would you tell them that they were mundane and needed mental stimulation. Strange then that those courtesies are not available to members on this board.

I've said my piece on this, some might agree, some will not but what is certain is that I am not asking, or looking for, anyone to be banned, just pleading for a bit of respect for the "mundane" members of this board.

ice box
12-Apr-06, 12:48
When is this going to come to an end its just getting petty now all it's doing is taking up forum space can you change the subject please .

Gleber2
12-Apr-06, 12:53
Oh how I hate doing this, but needs must, Gleber2, I have to agree with you on this one and with Jaws also.
Oh I'm off to lie down is a dark room now to recover, I dont know whats come over me.:lol:

An attack of intelligence!!! You should see your doctor.:lol:

DW
12-Apr-06, 13:04
Thread locked - point made....