PDA

View Full Version : Is Ignorance Bliss?

mostlyharmless
09-Apr-06, 01:17
In light of the continuous dramatics of the media in representing everything
is it better we don't know some things that are going on?

Government secrets
Government leaks to the press
Bird Flu
Global warming
Wars,prisons,equal rights
Royal family

Is it possible to have a completely open government and run a country?
Is the media putting peoples lives in jeopardy? By spreading panic where calm is needed.

As the media digs deeper the political control becomes tighter and legislation eventually replaces trust.

Is the idea of telling all your mates your problems, problem SHARED or problem multiplyed?

fred
09-Apr-06, 08:54

Is it possible to have a government which isn't completely open and call it a democracy?

gleeber
09-Apr-06, 09:26
Big question mostlyharmless and my automatic answer to it is yes, ignorance probably is bliss.

My answer to that one is a question. Is it possible to find completely open individuals to form governments?

Is the media putting peoples lives in jeopardy? By spreading panic where calm is needed.

People thrive on news. We watch 24 hour coverage of the most awful disasters. The media are just a feeding mechanism, feeding a hungry public what they want. When I was a kid there was an April fool thing on Panorama about the spaghetti crop failing in Itlay that year. No one told me it was a joke and it was years before I knew that spaghetti didnt grow on trees. Of course the media affects peoples lives, but it cannot spread panic without the assisitance of the panicked,

As the media digs deeper the political control becomes tighter and legislation eventually replaces trust.

I think probably government has become more open in the last decade than ever before, but people have become more apathetic, or worn out, at the same time. I know I cant change the world, I can only change my world.

Is the idea of telling all your mates your problems, problem SHARED or problem multiplyed?
I see it as a problem seen.
Most people who suffer stress and anxiety in todays world just put it down to the rigours of everyday living. The scientific theory is much different. We are living organisms, mostly unaware of the automatic functionings of our bodies and minds. Thats why things like yoga or therapy or religion allow us to focus more carefully on what is really happening to us when we feel that lump in the pit of our stomachs. I would love to tell my mates my deepest problems, and I think it would be a step in the right direction to giving a different answer to your big question. However, there are a couple of major stumbling blocks to telling people your problems. Lack of discretion in everyday life, and what exactly are my real problems?

EDDIE
09-Apr-06, 11:50

Government secrets
Government leaks to the press
Bird Flu
Global warming
Wars,prisons,equal rights
Royal family

I think that we operate the same as most countrys and if we new about half the things that go on in and out of our country on a daily basis i bet i would be scarey stuff.

Royster1911
09-Apr-06, 11:55
Do you REALLY want to know whats around the corner. Not me!!!!