PDA

View Full Version : Utility Warehouse Text... Scam???

ragdollyanna
07-Oct-09, 10:08
I received this text today and was wondering if you guys think it's a scam...

"From the Utility Warehouse. Your phoneline installation date is 13-10-2009. An engineer will be at your premises between 1pm - 5.30pm. The charge for installing your new line is 99 pounds and will be on your next bill. PLEASE DO NEXT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. PLEASE CALL 0844 815 7777 WITH ANY QUERIES."

Now, given that I have never heard of Utility Warehouse, let alone requested a new line, is it a scam - they want you to call the number and then it'll turn out to be a premium rate number? I have no intention of finding out but if it is a scam, I'm worried that more vulnerable people would be at risk....:(

What do you think??? Anyone had a similar text?

dietcokegirl
07-Oct-09, 10:26
I think Utility Warehouse is a genuine company. I've had a call from them in the past trying to get me to swap my telephone service over to them.
But if you've never received a phonecall/spoken to anyone from this company before something is not right.
Check out their website to see if you can find out any details using the 'my order' button

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/home/Home_phone/

I know that most companies send out complimentary text messages when you order a service from them to keep you updated on your order.

If you cant find any information on the 'order' on their website, find their email address and send them an email.

I hope you get this sorted soon!

ragdollyanna
07-Oct-09, 10:30
Hi - thanks for the response.. I just called them after googling them and it turns out that they think they sent it to me in error..
Maybe I was being a bit over suspicious!!! :confused Mind, you can't be too careful. There are so many scams around!