PDA

View Full Version : "Old" Prices

Iffy
06-Oct-09, 19:12
I just remembered about a "shopping" bookie that my Dear Late Mum had, which she actually carried on from her Mother. My Grannie had dated hers - from November 1934, but sadly I don't have the dates for my Mum's entries :

I know that my Mum's lists were for groceries bought from "The Van" and was given the authenticity of his "signature" every time.

What really tickled me is that about every third/fourth entry there is a wee bit at the bottom stating "sweeties", obviously as an after-thought - thats cos I remember myself and my brother literally running up the road from school, on a Monday, when we saw "The Van" at the house (we'd more often miss it !!) - hoping our Mum would allow us a wee sweetie!!!

Mostly we were disappointed, cos, when we were young money was very tight, so a Mars Bar was like a bar of solid gold to me and my brother !!!

Here's a wee excerpt from my Mum's "Bookie" - c. 1972 (???)

tea - 9 + 1/2 pence
sugar - 10 pence
butter - 26 pence
bread - 11 pence
bisc. - 27 + 1/2 pence
peas - 4 + 1/2pence
beans - 4 + 1/2 pence
dog food - 11 pence
marmalade - 12 pence
milk - 6 1/2 pence
sweets (!!) - 6 pence
disinfectant - 9 + 1/2 pence
Lifebuoy Soap - 9 + 1/2 pence
toilet roll - 10 + 1/2 pence

Her average shopping bill from "The Van" would be about £1.60 !!!!!

Kevin Milkins
06-Oct-09, 20:04
That's very interesting Iffy and it's good to make some comparisons with how some products are have increased or decreased in relative terms.

Things could not have been that tight financially as I see toilet roll on the list.:eek:
You know times are tough when you have to go to the outside toilet down the garden and the toilet paper is the News Of The World cut up into squares and hanging on a bit of wire behind the door.:lol:

helenwyler
06-Oct-09, 20:17
Hi Iffy

I think your mum's list might have been before 15 February 1971, as that's when decimalisation was introduced in the UK and Northern Ireland :). I remember being very sad to lose ha'pennies, thruppences, sixpences and half crowns, and being able to say something cost 'five bob' :lol:.

Kodiak
06-Oct-09, 20:18
That's very interesting Iffy and it's good to make some comparisons with how some products are have increased or decreased in relative terms.

Things could not have been that tight financially as I see toilet roll on the list.:eek:
You know times are tough when you have to go to the outside toilet down the garden and the toilet paper is the News Of The World cut up into squares and hanging on a bit of wire behind the door.:lol:

Hang on there, this is 1972 you know and NOT WW1. What makes you think that in 1972 Toilet Paper was a Luxury and outside toilets. I do not think so as even in Dundee, as that where I was living and working in 1972, these were all but gone.

Now if you had said the same thing about 1952 then I remember things almost as you stated.

Kodiak
06-Oct-09, 20:23
Hi Iffy

I think your mum's list might have been before 15 February 1971, as that's when decimalisation was introduced in the UK and Northern Ireland :). I remember being very sad to lose ha'pennies, thruppences, sixpences and half crowns, and being able to say something cost 'five bob' :lol:.

No I think it is from 1972 for if your read the prices they are in Decimal Coinage and Not LSD, Pound Shillings and Pence.

helenwyler
06-Oct-09, 20:58
No I think it is from 1972 for if your read the prices they are in Decimal Coinage and Not LSD, Pound Shillings and Pence.

How true :lol:!

Iffy
06-Oct-09, 21:03
Hang on there, this is 1972 you know and NOT WW1. What makes you think that in 1972 Toilet Paper was a Luxury and outside toilets. I do not think so as even in Dundee, as that where I was living and working in 1972, these were all but gone.

Now if you had said the same thing about 1952 then I remember things almost as you stated.

Hi, Thats very scary becuase I actually remember our out-door toilet - though I can't remember wot I actually "used" to "finish off" - GOSH I wiz only a wee bairn at the time !!!! :lol::lol:

Kevin Milkins
06-Oct-09, 21:30
I got married in 1972, and yes, life was slightly more comfortable in the loo at that time,:D but it was only in the late sixties that we had a inside toilet fitted.:eek:

joxville
06-Oct-09, 23:34

Did you get sick of your arse hitting the headlines? [lol]

Kevin Milkins
06-Oct-09, 23:39
Did you get sick of your arse hitting the headlines? [lol]

Boom, Boom.:lol: Or is it bum,bum?:lol: