PDA

View Full Version : anthracite

Dynamic Sounds
06-Oct-09, 11:33
How in the name of the wee man do you light it and get heat from it???

I've just bought a bag and although i can just about get it to light it doesnt give off much heat. What I've been doing so far if lighting a pile of wood on top of the anthracite, then placing a big bit of wood on top of that. The anthracite below the wood does glow, but i've had more heat out of a salad! I've got the control on the side of the fire set low for about 10 mins then I put it high, I've also got the sliding vent on the top of the fire in the open (i think) position.

HELLPPPPP :eek::eek::eek:

Graham

dietcokegirl
06-Oct-09, 11:52
I use anthracite when I'm lighting my fire. What sort of fire is it? A closed in one?
My normal routine when lighting the fire is clear it out completely to start with (ash tray and everything)

Pack loads of rolled up newspaper into the bottom (you need quite a bit, try and leave a few bits sticking out too so you can light it)

Then stack up loads of sticks on top of newspapers

A little bit of coal on top of the sticks

Light the newspaper at the bottom

Close the door of the fire and set the control up to the max!

You should get a good blaze going in no time - when the flames are quite high open the door (be careful when you do this as the smoke is usually quite thick at this point) and put a good few shovels of coal on top of the blaze.

Close the door and leave the control set high.

You'll soon see the glow from underneath the coal (might take a wee while) and then you'll know the fire is well and truly lit.

What i usually do is still keep the controls up high untill i hear the radiators come on and then turn it down to a lower setting.

Once it's lit just keep it stocked up with coal (I Stock mine up once or twice a day) give it a rattle from the side every now and then, and turn it up to high whenever i want a burst of heat or the radiators to go on quicker.

I hope this helps, it's the way i've always done mine and works grand.
Now after writing all that i hope it is a closed in fire you've got!

Stig
06-Oct-09, 11:57
A load of paper and wood on the bottom and light it first ( maybe a firelighter or two ) give it a minute to catch open up the control to max and put the pump on add a couple of shovels of coal and wait for it to catch, then turn off pump and lower the settings.

Works for me anyway

badger
06-Oct-09, 12:09
Yes I think you're doing it upside down Graham. Twists of newspaper and wood kindling underneath, coal on top. Always worked for me.

mrs_inkstack
06-Oct-09, 20:40
How in the name of the wee man do you light it and get heat from it???

Graham

Try taking your bowfing trainers off first and you might have some luck - in fact, why don't you just put them in the fire when your at it once you eventually get it lit :lol: Call the fashion police - Graham and his poncy trainers !!

Dynamic Sounds
07-Oct-09, 01:34
Try taking your bowfing trainers off first and you might have some luck - in fact, why don't you just put them in the fire when your at it once you eventually get it lit :lol: Call the fashion police - Graham and his poncy trainers !!

Love you too Jackie :Razz !!! And for info I was wearing my cat boots today so it isn't the trainers fault!

Thanks for the advise everyone. I will get my wee hatchet out and chop up my kindling and try the 20 copies of the financial times and half a forest technique tomorrow. Persoanlly I found burning logs good, but this would be more expensive than coal.

tartanyorkie
07-Oct-09, 09:05
I have found that when I put the wood in plastic carrier bags before putting it on the fire it generates enough heat so that I do not have to use firelighters. I put paper on the bottom then the wood in plastic carrier and just a bit of the solid fuel and then when it is going put more on. Oh, and the fire turned up full until it gets going and then turn it down. That recycles the carriers and saves me having a load of them hanging around, lol. I did not buy any firelighters last year!

Speaking of fires, what type of heating is used in the different areas of Thurso? We were just getting gas in the area I was living in before I moved up here. I suppose I am hoping for too much to get gas as well if we move into town.

mrs_inkstack
07-Oct-09, 09:09
[quote=Dynamic Sounds;603898]Love you too Jackie :Razz !!! And for info I was wearing my cat boots today so it isn't the trainers fault!

Jackie ? My name ia Kate ;) Remember !!! Are you a dad yet ? it's always the trainers fault ! :D

Dynamic Sounds
07-Oct-09, 14:10
Sorry Kate....... wait a mo is that the Titanic music I hear????

No ain't a dad just yet, still got 7 weeks to go. Now there's a thought, if everything is the trainers fault, do you think I can sue Nike for the wife getting pregnant???

mrs_inkstack
07-Oct-09, 22:16
I tell you now, you should be lucky the wife is pregnant at all, she obviously didn't clock those trainers first, did she :D

He was gorgeous, could have been the love of my life - my Jack Dawson - before you opened your gob and blew him off - sighs deeply !! Well it was ten to two and I did have my beer goggles on, oh well, these things happen and especially when your around Mr Dynamic Sounds :roll:

Stuck with me all these years ..... say aaaaahhhhhh !!!!

Stefan
08-Oct-09, 08:19
Fire needs oxygen to produce heat. The more you pile on top the less oxygen it will get, the less heat you get.
Try what previous posters have explained and you will be fine. Just dont pack the wood too tightly as it won't get oxygen otherwise.
The process is the same for an open or closed in fire, in both cases you need to leave the vent open for oxygen to get in underneath, then later shut it or turn it down.

William
08-Oct-09, 18:17
Pack loads of rolled up newspaper into the bottom (you need quite a bit, try and leave a few bits sticking out too so you can light it)

Then stack up loads of sticks on top of newspapers

A little bit of coal on top of the sticks

A spriknle of diesel

Light a ball of newspaper throw it in shut the door an turn it up sorted

Well it works for me :P