PDA

View Full Version : freezing

shazzy
06-Oct-09, 09:53
hiya,my computer keeps freezing and a message pops up at bottom saying that I've plugged device into audio jack,which I havent.Any advice,its driving me mad,sometimes only frozen for few minutes,sometimes have to switch off.cheers:D

seanyt
06-Oct-09, 20:52
Do you have speakers or headphones plugged into your system? if you do it might be caused by the following:

Most modern soundcards have an auto-sense feature that detects when you plug in speakers. Your speaker cable might not be connected properly, or the speakers/cable might be faulty, causing the autosense feature to trigger.

If you dont have any speakers plugged in, then it might be worth disabling the soundcard altogether, and see if this resolves the issue.

You havent mentioned what operating system your on (XP/Vista), if you let me know and i can provide instructions.

shazzy
09-Oct-09, 15:12
Do you have speakers or headphones plugged into your system? if you do it might be caused by the following:

Most modern soundcards have an auto-sense feature that detects when you plug in speakers. Your speaker cable might not be connected properly, or the speakers/cable might be faulty, causing the autosense feature to trigger.

If you dont have any speakers plugged in, then it might be worth disabling the soundcard altogether, and see if this resolves the issue.

You havent mentioned what operating system your on (XP/Vista), if you let me know and i can provide instructions.
nothing is plugged in and im on vista,ta

seanyt
09-Oct-09, 16:21
Go to Start > Control Panel

Click on System Maintenance

Double Click Device Manager

Once this opens look for the Sound Video and Game Controllers item, click on the + symbol.

Locate your sound card (This will vary depending on your system, mine is listed as SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio)

Right click on the sound card and select Disable (Click yes to the warning message)

Close the device manager window.

Leave it for a few days and see if that resolves the issue... if it does then its the soundcard thats at fault.

shazzy
09-Oct-09, 16:51
Go to Start > Control Panel

Click on System Maintenance

Double Click Device Manager

Once this opens look for the Sound Video and Game Controllers item, click on the + symbol.

Locate your sound card (This will vary depending on your system, mine is listed as SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio)

Right click on the sound card and select Disable (Click yes to the warning message)

Close the device manager window.

Leave it for a few days and see if that resolves the issue... if it does then its the soundcard thats at fault.
ive got to 'locate sound card' do i pick NVIDIA HDMI AUDIO or Realtek High Definition Audio?

seanyt
09-Oct-09, 18:27
It will be Realtek High Definition Audio

shazzy
12-Oct-09, 18:17
i,ve done that,still freezing,also takes ages to come on,has 'start-up repair' come up every time and takes ages to get going.I'm getting to the point of shouting at computer,scaring the dogs!!:mad:

dx100uk
13-Oct-09, 00:27
urm
more tothis than meets the eye me thinks.
re enable the sound card.
does this start up repair resolve itself now?

if not you need to:

in the start search [bottom left]

type cmd [hit return]

in pop box type

chkdsk c:*/f*/r [hit return] *=spacebar

say Y [hit return]

restart the pc

let us know how you get on.

dx