PDA

View Full Version : superstition

coastown
08-Apr-06, 19:54
do you believe spilling salt to be unlucky, what are you superstitious about

the original ducky
08-Apr-06, 19:58
wow ive never really thought well i dont walk under ladders cause it gives u bad luck, scared o breaking a mirror for the same reasons, but i also think that when something good happens something bad is sure to appear, am i mad or does every body have the same as me?. theres plenty more just cant think!

obiron
08-Apr-06, 20:38
touching wood. do that often.

newpark
08-Apr-06, 20:45
I never put new shoes on a table and touch wood all the time

connieb19
08-Apr-06, 20:46
I never cut my toenails on a Sunday...:roll:

obiron
08-Apr-06, 20:52
I never cut my toenails on a Sunday...:roll:

bit odd. why not a sunday. holy day???

peedie man
08-Apr-06, 21:26
if you spill salt throw some over your left shoulder and you will be ok

newpark
08-Apr-06, 21:49
I never split a lamppost

Gleber2
08-Apr-06, 22:34
Cross my fingers, turn widdershins twice and spit three times every time I see Golach's name on a post.

Moira
08-Apr-06, 23:40
bit odd. why not a sunday. holy day???

My hubby always quotes " Never cut hoof nor hair on a Sunday". He comes from country/crofting background so I guess the origins lie there.

I'm not overly superstitious but do admit to tossing salt over my left shoulder if I spill any, avoiding walking under ladders if I can - and I would never cut my nails on a Sunday :grin:

pops
09-Apr-06, 13:07
im another that never puts new shoes on the table!

willowbankbear
09-Apr-06, 13:13
When I was a fisherman, If I saw certain people before I got to the boat, Id know what kind of trip we were likely to have.
One particular guy was extremely bad luck, Id turn round go home & start again, I was a bit superstitious ye could say!:Razz

bingo1
09-Apr-06, 21:37
I do the salt thing aswell. I never put shoes or gloves on a table nor a hair brush. If a black cat cross my path i have to spit to ward of bad luck. If you break a mirror throw it in the river at the stroke of midnight to wash away bad luck. Never walk under a ladder. Never split a pole. Its supposed to be badluck. When i was a little lass when my pals and i split a pole we used to say "bread and butter". It was supposed to ward of badluck. One of my pals will not let you top up her drink if there is still wine ect in the glass. She thinks its badluck.

footie chick
09-Apr-06, 22:33
One of my pals will not let you top up her drink if there is still wine ect in the glass. She thinks its badluck.[/quote]

whys that bad luck that she hasna finished before u??? never heard o that one:lol:

Funky_Foal
09-Apr-06, 22:46
If you go out in the mist willow the wisp will try to get you its one from my childhood

connieb19
09-Apr-06, 22:49
I never put up an umbrella while indoors or never look out of a window through binoculars...[para] [para]

Tugmistress
09-Apr-06, 23:25
blimey i have led a sheltered life, i have never even heard of most of these so far!

bingo1
09-Apr-06, 23:50
whys that bad luck that she hasna finished before u??? never heard o that one:lol:[/quote] I really couldnt tell you. I just laugh and top up anyway.:lol:

JAWS
10-Apr-06, 00:38
do you believe spilling salt to be unlucky, what are you superstitious about
If I remember correctly if you spill salt then you are supposed to throw some over your left shoulder.
I seem to recall it is something about "throwing it in the Devil's eyes" though why that should be I have no idea.

I don't carry any of these out particularly but

If you go out and forget something then it's bad luck to turn back. If you do then you should take your coat off an do something in the house so that when you go out again you are starting a new journey.

If you accidentally put any clothing on inside out then you should leave it that way all day. (I'm not sure if that's about bad luck or just to give everybody else a laugh)

Old eggshells should always either have a hole put in them or be crushed to stop witches sailing away in them to escape.

Seeing the new moon through glass for the first time was bad luck. I seem to recall that you had to turn a new silver sixpence over to ward off the bad luck.

If you bought somebody a purse or a wallet for a present it should always have some money in it when you give it to them. That is so it will never be empty for them.

You should never hang a horseshoe with the ends pointing downwards or all the Good Luck will run out!

Oh yes, and never stand in front of an Express Train in thick fog, that's definitely bad luck! :lol:

JAWS
10-Apr-06, 00:42
The breaking mirrors superstition is not just bad luck, it means seven years bad luck, so that's a definite one to avoid unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Funky_Foal
10-Apr-06, 13:15
dont look at the full moon through a window its supposed to be unlucky

Gleber2
10-Apr-06, 13:29
dont look at the full moon through a window its supposed to be unlucky
Isn't that the new moon?

Funky_Foal
10-Apr-06, 13:31
Isn't that the new moon?

i cant really mind but its something like that

Julia
10-Apr-06, 14:35
I too never put new shoes on a table or let knives cross, and I don't like to pass people on stairs either.

I certainly don't avoid walking under ladders and not bothered by breaking mirrors either or most of the other superstitions funnily enough.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-06, 22:15
When I wake up every morning I have a shave,shampoo and a no.2.I don't think I would have a very good day if I didnae!!!:lol: :lol:

Billy Boy
10-Apr-06, 22:34
When I wake up every morning I have a shave,shampoo and a no.2.I don't think I would have a very good day if I didnae!!!:lol: :lol:

well cedric what do you do with your no 1's hold it in all day:lol: :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-06, 22:37
well cedric what do you do with your no 1's hold it in all day:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: The No.1's are spread out eavenly throughout the day,depending on the caffeine uptake!!

nancypotter45
10-Apr-06, 23:51
When I was a fisherman, If I saw certain people before I got to the boat, Id know what kind of trip we were likely to have.
One particular guy was extremely bad luck, Id turn round go home & start again, I was a bit superstitious ye could say!:Razz

I don't put shoes or hats on a table and when I was a fisherman I never went up masts trying to get a fone signal to fone my bird.

JAWS
11-Apr-06, 04:29
You should never take the third light from a match or the Health Gestapo will get you!

But it's alright if you don't inhale! [lol]

shortstuff
16-Apr-06, 01:25
The reason it is bad luck for seven years when a mirror is broken is that--- mirrors were very expensive in the very old days that it took seven yeard of wages to pay it off.