PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker

miller30
05-Oct-09, 12:40
hi just bought a slow cooker but not sure what i can cook in it or any good tips on how to use the thing, or any great recipes!!!

thanks

shazzap
05-Oct-09, 13:28
http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/slow_cooker_basics.htm

http://www.crock-pot.ca/recipecategorygroup/main-dishes.aspx

http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipes.aspx

Allsorts
08-Oct-09, 08:34
Roast chicken and beef are yummy in it and the meat just falls off.

honey
08-Oct-09, 10:30
stews and casseroles are fab too!

horsegirl
22-Oct-09, 11:44
I do just about all my dinners in the slow cooker. Mince, stew, roasts and soup. U can also make a fab rice pudding in it but i have not tried it yet.

Always said i would never have one cause i thought it wouold be too much hassel, but i got one as a wedding present and its great.

Dont know where i would be with out it.

miller30
01-Nov-09, 22:05
Roast chicken and beef are yummy in it and the meat just falls off.

sounds yummy, do you just add water in with the chicken, beef ect? how long to you put it on for? like to you put it on in the morning and then it ready for tea time?

horsegirl
14-Nov-09, 23:53
Brown off any meat/chicken first then put it in with wee drop of stock. I alway make in the morning and then put on low heat all day. Makes it more tender and juicey

Good luck

Aaldtimer
15-Nov-09, 03:56
Great for porridge overnight as well!:)

Allsorts
15-Nov-09, 09:48
I am such a lazy cook that I never brown off any meat i put in the slow cooker - I just drop it all in.

Chicken I just put in and leave it to cook on slow in its own juices, on in the morning and ready for tea.

Did a yummy beef stew the other day. Again didn't brown of the beef but dropped it in the slow cooker, added some mushrooms, onions and carrots and then poured on a tin of sweetheart stout or any others you fancy. Put it on low all day and then just before serving added some gravy granules to thicken the sauce and its was very yummy.

I have made rice pudding in it too and that was so yum the whole family were fighting over it.

Mother Bear
22-Nov-09, 17:05
Having read all these threads, a slow cooker sounds a great idea, for convenience, and tastey meals , all ready when you get in from work...... excellent! Have just looked on the Argos website and see there are about 20 to choose from...aahh! I would just be getting the smaller one, but has anyone any other advice/good or bad about the different types, or are they more or less all as good as each other? Would be interested to hear. Many thanks.

Aaldtimer
24-Nov-09, 04:51
They are all good, just make sure you get one with a removable inner for easy cleaning. I think most modern ones are like that but, going back a few years, the early ones were a bit of a pain to clean.:(

Bookworm
27-Nov-09, 22:12
I just chuck everything in the pot in the morning and have a lovely dinner on my return from work. My favourite is a spicy lamb stew.
Lamb stock, veg, lamb, whole pepper (don't cut it up), potatoes or chick peas and that's it. Well seasoning to taste.