PDA

View Full Version : TV Repair

Henrik7
05-Oct-09, 10:55
Does anyone know anyone in Wick that will repair old tvs? Got a big tv thats been sitting in the cupboard for long enough. Would hate to throw it out if it can be fixed.

AfternoonDelight
05-Oct-09, 11:02
Colin Chessor won't fix it unless you bought it from him, Graeme Begg sends it to Inverness and it costs £60 just to open it up - before the repairs.

There is a shop in Thurso (begins with A - can't remember the name) that does it but the guy apparently isn't liscensed for repairs so it's at your own risk.

I have this on reliable info - I looked into getting a tv repaired just last month.

Kevin Milkins
05-Oct-09, 11:13
I'm afraid that the throw a society that we have become does not cater well for repairing anything, as it is often cheaper to to upgrade and buy a new one.:confused

My brother in law is a time served TV repair man with thirty five years experience of fixing TV's, unfortunately he lives in Ebbw Vale, but I am sure there must be a few guys about this area that is from "the old school " and may do a homer for you.

Good luck

bish667
05-Oct-09, 13:14
There is a shop in Thurso (begins with A - can't remember the name) that does it but the guy apparently isn't liscensed for repairs so it's at your own risk.

Alacam maybe

Invisible
05-Oct-09, 14:10
Does anyone know anyone in Wick that will repair old tvs? Got a big tv thats been sitting in the cupboard for long enough. Would hate to throw it out if it can be fixed.

How old is it and what seems to be the problem. Is it worth fixing because we change to Digital next year and older Tv's will be obsolete unless of course a freeview or sky box can be used with it.

boxer
05-Oct-09, 15:47
hugo ross fishing shop he repairs them

tenabowla
07-Oct-09, 22:15
I am probably what Mr Milkins refers to as from "the old school " . I served my time in the late 70s when there were 25-30 employed in Caithness repairing TVs. The influx of Eastern Asian cheap electronics made it unviable to make a living in the trade. Hence what is left are a few installation people in the county.

davem
07-Oct-09, 23:47
Not licensed? I don't think so - you take your stuff there - he fixes it or tells you its beyond mending, not much of a risk I'd say. Slightly more risky than leaving it bust in a cupboard but whats the point of that.

AfternoonDelight
08-Oct-09, 12:20
Sorry - I was just passing on what another tv repair man in the county told me... I never normally would do so without a firm knowledge so apologies if he is licensed to do repairs.

tenabowla
08-Oct-09, 17:11
I believe Chessor and Hugo Ross are the only two from the large number of tv men left in the business.