PDA

View Full Version : Trade Charges?

Angel
03-Oct-09, 22:39
Does anybody know how much a Joiner, Plumber and Electrician charges per hour in Caithness as I have been quoted astronomical prices for work to be done...

Any help would be appreciated...

Angel...

Bruce
03-Oct-09, 22:43
trades men are not cheep. between 25 to 30 quid an hour most firms charge

gleeber
03-Oct-09, 22:44
A good reliable joiner could be up to 22 quid an hour with plumbers and electricians possibly a wee bit more.

Mik.M.
04-Oct-09, 09:38
Bloody extortionate rates if you ask me. We were charged £235 for what amounted to less than 4 hours work by an electrician! When we needed another electrical job doing we used Corries,it took them nearly 3 months to send us a bill for £32 pound. (minimum 1hr charge) But at least they didn`t try to rip us off.

EDDIE
04-Oct-09, 09:49
trades men are not cheep. between 25 to 30 quid an hour most firms charge

If u can get a tradesmen between 25 to 35 quid an hour thats cheap considering there costs for running a van and they have to pay there own tax

BINBOB
04-Oct-09, 12:37
ROK....£75 call out plus vat............:roll:

viking
04-Oct-09, 13:47
I'm always amazed that people want jobs done for virtually nothing. These guys are highly trained - can you imagine the potential for disaster regarding electrical or plumbing work if something went wrong? I know that for a plumber to be CORGI registered it costs thousands of pounds and has to be renewed regularly. Between that and staff, insurance, vans tax etc it must be costly to be in business.
I agree, nobody likes to be ripped off though so make sure you get written quotes for the work specified.
I've lived in Caithness for many years and have had great service from local workmen. They come quickly in an emergency and I'm happy to go to work and leave them in the house. Caithness is a small place and anyone who gives poor service would not last long. You might have to wait for non urgent jobs and as someone said, the bills may take a while to come in but compared to city living we are very lucky here.

EDDIE
04-Oct-09, 13:53
ROK....£75 call out plus vat............:roll:

I no its sounds dear but the callout out charge is you pay the hourly rate for the tradesmen to come to u and the rest pays for fuel and van maintenence that what a lot them do with the call out money
But what annoys me about it is why £75 really if it takes the tradesmen 30 mins to get to u you should pay for half an hours labour and so on to me thats fair insteading of paying £75 and it took him 15 mins to come to u

BINBOB
04-Oct-09, 16:28
I no its sounds dear but the callout out charge is you pay the hourly rate for the tradesmen to come to u and the rest pays for fuel and van maintenence that what a lot them do with the call out money
But what annoys me about it is why £75 really if it takes the tradesmen 30 mins to get to u you should pay for half an hours labour and so on to me thats fair insteading of paying £75 and it took him 15 mins to come to u

Especially ,in my case when nothing was broken................:roll:

Bazeye
04-Oct-09, 17:55
Cant you get someone whose working to do it on a weekend, as a homer?

badger
04-Oct-09, 18:44
It's worth paying a bit more to get a proper job, believe me; I've suffered. Also try to get a recommendation from someone you trust and who has used that trade recently. Corgi (which now doesn't exist - it's Gas Safe) is no guarantee.

If they also work offshore, which many do now, be aware that the rigs are totally unreasonable and have no respect for trades' other commitments, life, holidays or anything so your electrician/plumber may disappear with little warning and not know when he'll be back.

Have fun :roll: