PDA

View Full Version : Marine Mammal Medics?

Tugmistress
07-Apr-06, 17:59
I was thinking a wee while ago (yes i am capable of thought occasionally ;)) and wondered if there was any interest up here about training to become a Marine Mammal Medic?
If you want to know what that is, think back to the Thames Whale, it was the people that tried to help get it back out to sea.
You can see details of their course here (http://www.bdmlr.org.uk/pages/main.html), it isn't cheap but it isn't out of the question either. (if the link just takes you to the main page, look at the links at the top of the page and click on training).
I would love to do this course but unless there are 20 people interested in this area, it would mean travelling alot further south to join another one day course.
Anyone else up for it?

Sianymo
07-Apr-06, 18:13
Try the diving club up here. They definatley have people who are trained in marine wildlife rescue....

Tugmistress
07-Apr-06, 18:33
sianymo, empty your inbox i can't reply ;)

Sianymo
07-Apr-06, 18:35
OOOOOOOOOOooooooppps! Done now!:grin:

young_fishin_neep
08-Apr-06, 15:14
as ya know mum i would do it but you have to be over 16 to do it :( only another year and 2 months to wait

Tugmistress
08-Apr-06, 20:16
I have had one PM from another person interested in this, if you are interested then please PM me and we will hopefully get the numbers needed to do a course up here especially for Caithness.
I have found out today the area co-ordinator for here has had to stand down with work commitments, so come on folks, let's uphold caithness and it's marine life :)

_Ju_
09-Apr-06, 12:07
Tumistress, couldn't this be made a sticky so more people see it and maybe we get the numbers up?

Tugmistress
09-Apr-06, 13:42
I will ask Niall if he could see his way to do that :)
nothing ventured nothing gained etc :)

Tugmistress
11-Apr-06, 11:13
Just to hopefully whet some appetites taken from their training page ....

Course Content

This is a one day course with usually a minimum of 20 delegates .
The course is split into two halves.
The morning lecture session :
This session starts at 10.00am with an introductory talk from one of the course directors and a short video showing the work of BDMLR. Three lectures are then given by the course directors. The first lecture is on marine mammal biology. The second lecture is on physiology, first aid and rescue techniques for cetaceans . The Third is on physiology, first aid and rescue techniques for seals and includes a Health & Safety section for all rescue/training work.

The afternoon practical session :
Held at the waters edge. Delegates are asked to bring along
a wet or drysuit as you will be in the water for most of the afternoon.
This session is split into three modules:

Seal rescue
Delegates are taught how to handle and lift an injured or stranded seal. Each delegate will have the chance to try out their newly learned skills on a life sized model of a seal.

Dolphin rescue

Delegates are taught handling, lifting and first aid techniques using a life sized water filled model of a Common dolphin.

Whale rescue

Delegates refloat a two tonne life sized model of a Pilot Whale. The model is filled with water and is very life like. It is not unusual to have members of the public offer to help as they believe it is real!

The course finishes when everyone has completed each of the modules, or are freezing - usually about 16.30.
A final de-briefing is held where certificates, medic ID cards and badges are handed out to delegates from 1700 hrs to 1730 hrs.
All delegates will receive:

• A Marine Mammal Handbook •
• 1year BDMLR membership & photo ID card •
• A Cetacean ID book •
• A Marine Mammal Medic woven badge & car stickers •
• A certificate proving that you have done the course •

We have 6 people interested so far, lets get the required amount to have a course up here please!

compo
11-Apr-06, 23:19
as a keen diver i signed up to the marine mamal rescue in caith ness that at the time was run by alistair jack. i paid my membership and heard no more about it. at one poit there was talk of seting something up in castle town. as for joining again not a chance.

cuddlepop
13-Apr-06, 17:08
Tugmistress how long have you got to get your numbers together,i'd like to do it there's very few people on Skye that has this Knowledge,also we still want to move so it would be transferable..:o)

Tugmistress
14-Apr-06, 07:18
Basically i can take as long as it needs for the numbers, but i think it would be nice to get a course done in summer up here when the sea is a little warmer and preferably this summer rather than next lol

smj
02-May-06, 20:05
Hi,
Just seen the course and my daughter is very keen to attend if you can get enough interested people,(probably be me that has to cough up the fee) but I'm sure it will be worth it, thanks for info.
kind regards

kas
08-Jun-06, 21:06
Hows your numbers comming along. I would be interested if I could make it on the date.

Considering the amount of cetaceans around this last few years, it would be very worthwhile.

That Minkie is still kicking about the Harbour Limits, I dont know if it is the same one, but I have seen one nearly every day for the last 2 weeks.

Even the seal numbers seem to be on the increase around the beach.