PDA

View Full Version : Help! - How do we amuse young visitors?

Gronnuck
02-Oct-09, 11:37
:D I would be grateful for advice from the many Org-parents in our community.
In the middle of the month friends are bringing their grandchildren to the far north for a short visit. What is there to interest and amuse an eleven year old and a nine year old at this time of the year?

Dadie
02-Oct-09, 11:42
Horseriding, Quad biking, walking and bodyboarding (weather permitting) amongst other things!

Bobinovich
02-Oct-09, 12:05
They could try one of the two fun-runs at either Thurso or Wick swimming pool depending on where abouts you are. Wick's is on Saturdays from 2pm to 4pm, Thurso's on Sunday's from 1pm to 2pm (both are dependent on other events of course so best to confirm they're on with the relevant pool (01955 603711 / 01847 893260).

chaz
02-Oct-09, 12:52
Trip to the forest or beach, yes it does mean you have to play hide and seek:lol:

Gronnuck
02-Oct-09, 13:19
We've decided a walk along Dunnet beach and/or a 2 Km saunder through Dunnet forest depending on the wind and rain. We can always hope for sunny days!:lol:

katarina
02-Oct-09, 13:44
and if the weather is bad you can take them bowling or to the cinema - oops forgot - we don't even have that any more. but my kids were very interested in the Wick heritage centre at that age - honestly! they even loved exploring the camster cairns!

Sandra_B
02-Oct-09, 14:16
Do some Halloween crafts or make decorations if the weather is bad?

http://familyfun.go.com/halloween/

Connor.
02-Oct-09, 14:20
Introduce them to the internet.

You'll never hear a peep from them for the rest of your life.

Cattach
02-Oct-09, 14:29
In the middle of the month friends are bringing their grandchildren to the far north for a short visit. What is there to interest and amuse an eleven year old and a nine year old at this time of the year?

Switch on Telly, change to Disney Channel, go read book for four hours - Simples!

chaz
02-Oct-09, 16:31
and if the weather is bad you can take them bowling or to the cinema - oops forgot - we don't even have that any more. but my kids were very interested in the Wick heritage centre at that age - honestly! they even loved exploring the camster cairns!

Forgot about the cairns,mine love them:)

wickscorrie
02-Oct-09, 20:47
if you know the area weel take them geocaching
there is one in dunnet forest, one at dunnet head, ham harbour, auckengill harbour, could lend you our gps if you wanted to try it

my 11, 8 and 5 year old love this,
http://www.geocaching.com/

my oldest loves decipering the clues and our little one can sniff them out better than scooby doo!!!

Cinderella's Shoe
02-Oct-09, 21:30
Let them watch the Simpsons

highlander
02-Oct-09, 22:09
Had great fun with my grandchildren, on the rainy days we cut up old xmas cards, used old wallpaper and made pictures, did baking, painted eggs and rolled them down the hill, it does not need to only happen at easter. Painted our nails, i even got my hair done in a fashion lol
playdoh is good to keep amused, not once did they ask to watch tv or play playstation, get back to basics, they love it!

doodles
03-Oct-09, 22:55
Caithness Horizons is worth a look. It has loads of wee interesting things on it and interactive bits too. The display that is on in the library gallery is great for kids too. It is all about magic and even has those funny mirrors. Don't know how long it is one for though! Just a few wee indoor ideas incase it stays this windy rainy way!

Kevin Milkins
03-Oct-09, 23:33
It depends if they are out door children. We had our grandchildren up this summer and the weather was not good, but we did spend some quality time on the beach and all kids seem to like going crabbing.:Razz
Last year my eldest granddaughter, (who was nine at the time) came with us to visit Camster Cairns and she was absolutely fascinated by them.
I am not so sure if it was such a good idea taking my ninety year old mother in law was such a great idea though.:confused
A short video clip.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/th_CampsterCairns2008.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=CampsterCairns2008.flv)

greenasiamcabbagelooking
04-Oct-09, 00:31
god bless your grandaughter Kev ...

u r such a mug and she knows it !!!

(wish i had a granpa like u tho :( )

Margaret M.
04-Oct-09, 19:41
A short video clip.

Your granddaughter is lovely! I was looking at your boxer and thinking what a well behaved dog when I noticed the kettle. Dang, you go prepared, a gas stove, mugs, a kettle, the lot -- too funny! Your mother-in-law is amazing, she was very plucky to tackle that hike down that path with a walker.

cuddlepop
04-Oct-09, 19:51

I use to love visiting my grandparents as we done things that mum@dad just didnt have the time for.
Jigsaws,card games,board games,story telling,home baking.....it was all fun.
I'm sure they'll love just spending time with you both.:)

Gronnuck
04-Oct-09, 20:56
Very many thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Depending on the weather it looks as if Dunnet Beach and Dunnet Forest are ‘must dos’. Kevin’s granddaughter is such a sweetie – she’s convinced us that Camster Cairns are another ‘must do’.
Wickscorrie’s geocaching sounds great fun – thanks for the offer of help. We do some walking and cycling and geocaching would add an interesting extra dimension. We shall look into taking up the activity in time for next year’s visitors.
Meanwhile we’re gathering up old cards, glue, some paper and stick-back plastic for a Blue Peter afternoon. We’ve even dug out the Be-Ro recipe book!
We’re quite looking forward to entertaining our younger visitors now.

catran
04-Oct-09, 20:58
Forgot about the cairns,mine love them:)

Our children loved the Cairns when they were little but honestly Katrina ours was too old to go traipsing with their mummy and daddy in 1981 to the Heritage centre when it opened at the grand old age of 14 and 19.

However I would suggest to go to the John O Groat sands at the Ness to look for Groatie Buckies and hopefully one might see the baby seals at this time of year. Plenty of warm clothes , flask of tea, a most enjoyable day out..Never too old for that nor too young and needless to say the off spring enjoy taking their children there. Lots of fun at this time of year.

oldmarine
05-Oct-09, 05:14
My grandchildren enjoy viewing new places they have never seen before. They also like fishing, swimming, and traveling on water. I'm certain they would enjoy visiting the Orkneys.

George Brims
05-Oct-09, 20:07
I am not so sure if it was such a good idea taking my ninety year old mother in law was such a great idea though.:confused
A short video clip.

Good video Kevin. I had forgotten it was so far from the road to the cairns. No walkway last time I was there. Good thing the m-i-l managed to stay on it. It can be pretty boggy around there.

George Brims
05-Oct-09, 20:08
I'm certain they would enjoy visiting the Orkneys.
It's "Orkney" oldmarine. They only say "the Orkneys" on the BBC.

Dadie
05-Oct-09, 20:19
If going to the cairns I would reccomend wellies or boots as its a bit wet in the cairns!
And a torch to do do the exploring!
We had a good day out there on Sunday though the boardwalk was only just as wide as the wheels on my buggy (absolutely no margin for error) and I went off a few times. Oops!

oldmarine
06-Oct-09, 05:42
It's "Orkney" oldmarine. They only say "the Orkneys" on the BBC.

I probably should know better. I've been there, but it's been so many years. Thank you for the correction.