PDA

View Full Version : house name??

porshiepoo
07-Apr-06, 17:26
Does anyone know who you contact to give your new house a name?

Thanks for any help.:confused:

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 17:31
When we built our house all we did was put name on house and postie started delivering didnt have to notify anyone!:grin:

Sianymo
07-Apr-06, 17:33
If in doubt - the nearest sorting office.

landmarker
07-Apr-06, 17:49
Nah, you do not need to tell anyone save the people posting to you.

What is it then? 'Thistle Do' ?
Hang your sign with pride and be bold!

'Landmarker Towers' looks out of place on this estate but hey! what do I care.

(jokin' okay)

porshiepoo
07-Apr-06, 17:56
We didn't actually want to name it cos it's only temporary accomodation but the councils making us pay council tax on it while we renovate a derelict (we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable) so we figured we'd name it and get the bills paid into the new name.

I figured 'Little England' but hubby thought we'd get lynched :lol:

'Sleepy Hollow' as it's set in a hollow (sort of) and I have narcolepsy :lol:

Any ideas (decent ones & clean ones) appreciated.
We have very close views to the sea and shelligoe burn running through if thats any help with ideas.

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 18:07
[quote=porshiepoo] we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable

are you sure??? surely it should be habitable? before you pay council tax

krieve
07-Apr-06, 18:26
What about burnigoe lol or shellburn

AR
07-Apr-06, 18:50
anything that ends in igoe sounds caithnesian, so thats a good start in my opinion

tillygirl
07-Apr-06, 19:01
Going back to the council tax. You only pay it if your house is classed as a dwelling and in Scotland that means a house with running water. If your derelict place has no running water, then its not classed as a dwelling. I would certainly question it at the local council.

Tristan
07-Apr-06, 19:28
I know they were talking about changing the rules but at most you should only pay 50% on the unihabited.

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 19:51
We didn't actually want to name it cos it's only temporary accomodation but the councils making us pay council tax on it while we renovate a derelict (we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable) so we figured we'd name it and get the bills paid into the new name.

I figured 'Little England' but hubby thought we'd get lynched :lol:

'Sleepy Hollow' as it's set in a hollow (sort of) and I have narcolepsy :lol:

Any ideas (decent ones & clean ones) appreciated.
We have very close views to the sea and shelligoe burn running through if thats any help with ideas.

Well, there's 'Sea View' and 'Burnside', although neither name is very imaginative, I know. And yep, I'd forget about the 'Little England' one, lol! :lol:
I do rather like 'Sleepy Hollow', though!:o)

nancypotter45
07-Apr-06, 20:02
I know they were talking about changing the rules but at most you should only pay 50% on the unihabited.

You are correct Tristan 50% on uninhabited properties. My sister paid 50% council tax on a derelict and didn't pay full until all building documents, etc had been signed when they moved in (only a year ago).

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 20:59
why not think of your favourite place in the whole world and name it after that? I did

Ashes
07-Apr-06, 21:06
So what's your's called footie chick

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 21:13
after a place in new zealand thanks for the interest. bet you thought it was after a football ground!

Funky_Foal
07-Apr-06, 21:16
Look at the view to help you think of a name

Sianymo
07-Apr-06, 21:31
Whats the Gaelic or Viking(seeing as Caithness is more Viking than Gaelic) for House under the Big Sky or House next to the Bubbling Burn?

porshiepoo
07-Apr-06, 21:54
[quote=porshiepoo] we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable

are you sure??? surely it should be habitable? before you pay council tax

Thats what we thought! But nope we're paying full rates on the derelict and get a discount for a 2nd home on the temporary accomodation. We're still going through all this with them and trying to sort it all out.
It's a joke really, they even tried to charge us for a mobile home that we have too until we showed them thats it's used for dogs only.

Apparantly you have to pay council tax until the property has been demolished as it's been banded. They've only just banded the temporary accomodation, not sure of the law up here but in England if we name the temporary accomodation and get rates etc paid to it then after a few years you have a right to replace it with permanent accomodation.
Blinkin pallaver just for something to stay in while we renovate a derelict. It would have been cheaper (tax wise) to have demolished the derelict completely and re-build new but we thought we were doing the area a favour by renovating the existing old building.

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 22:09
Unreal cos u cant claim vat back on renovation either!!! You think they would pay you to do up old properties to live in rather than build new ones all over the place!

porshiepoo
07-Apr-06, 22:23
Thats what we thought footie chick. My hubby really wanted to knock it down and start again but I really wanted to keep as much of it as possible cos it's at least 150 - 200 years old and figured it is a part of the history in Lybster as it's on Patrick Sinclairs land and is actually very near his grave.
Looking back now though it would have paid us to demolish it as we wouldn't have to pay rates on it.
The council really don't like helping out up here do they! We found out today that although they've decided to band our temporary accomodation so we have to pay rates, we can't have a wheelie bin unless we pay for it. What a joke!

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 22:33
you're learnin fast that the council is a joke but that you need to play along with them to get what you want!!

cheekychops
12-Apr-06, 00:23
Whats the Gaelic or Viking(seeing as Caithness is more Viking than Gaelic) for House under the Big Sky or House next to the Bubbling Burn?

Hi here are a couple of name suggestions in gaelic, sorry i don't do viking!

Taigh is house - "Taigh a t-adhair mor" is "house of the sky big" or
Taigh an Abhainn Bheo (literally, house of the living river!)

because of the gaelic translation, this is about the closest you can get for what you would like.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Sheena

JAWS
12-Apr-06, 04:30
Reference naming your place, porshiepoo , just have a word with the postie. He needs to know a name and where you are, you need the correct location and post code. Mail will then find you.
I once I was settled in I once had mail delivered which consisted of my name, the name of the area I live in and the precise address of "the house on the right up the lane opposite so and so". Well done the postie, even I would have had difficulty finding me.

As to what to call it, how about "Longshanks Revenge", that would certainly get some attention.
But don't tell anybody who suggested it, I hate hospital food! :lol:

crashbandicoot1979
12-Apr-06, 16:44
You need to contact the Assessors office so that your details can be updated for council tax.

As for uninhabited properties, it was 50% council tax discount but as of 1st April 2005 it is now only 10%.

porshiepoo
12-Apr-06, 17:11
Reference naming your place, porshiepoo , just have a word with the postie. He needs to know a name and where you are, you need the correct location and post code. Mail will then find you.
I once I was settled in I once had mail delivered which consisted of my name, the name of the area I live in and the precise address of "the house on the right up the lane opposite so and so". Well done the postie, even I would have had difficulty finding me.

As to what to call it, how about "Longshanks Revenge", that would certainly get some attention.
But don't tell anybody who suggested it, I hate hospital food! :lol:

:lol: Thats a corker that is! lol.
Wonder how you say that in Gaelic. lol.

porshiepoo
12-Apr-06, 17:13
You need to contact the Assessors office so that your details can be updated for council tax.

As for uninhabited properties, it was 50% council tax discount but as of 1st April 2005 it is now only 10%.

Thanks for that. I was just about to write a very sarcastic letter accusing the council of all kinds of prejudice - you've saved me! lol.

Still a joke though eh! What kind of council charges council tax and water rates for a property that isn't habitable? It just doesn't make sense. And then they have the cheek to make you pay for the blinkin bin!!!!!!!!:mad:

caithnessgirl
12-Apr-06, 17:56
Passed a house today called "Farabide"!
Made me smile! lol :D

fred
12-Apr-06, 23:07
Passed a house today called "Farabide"!
Made me smile! lol :D

I wonder if Nero called his house Dunromein.

JAWS
12-Apr-06, 23:57
I wonder if Nero called his house Dunromein.
Stop it fred. That's a cracker. How can I have a go when you come up with one like that.

If you carry on like that I will end up having to start agreeing with you and that would confuse everybody. :)

ice box
13-Apr-06, 00:27
Here's a list for you porshie http://www.wecantthinkofaname.com/Housenames.htm

badger
13-Apr-06, 13:12
Royal Mail will tell you to register a new name with the Council but if you try they don't want to know and will tell you to register with OS. I did what my neighbours had done - went into the sorting office and filled in a little form. This gets it put on the Royal Mail database but beware, as I mentioned in an earlier thread the TV licensing people update their database from the Royal Mail one and will chase you for a licence. I am actually going to tell OS because an old name for my house keeps appearing on plans so they obviously don't check with Royal Mail.

It's all good fun and keeps lots of people happily occupied. :grin:

JAWS
13-Apr-06, 14:49
Royal Mail will tell you to register a new name with the Council but if you try they don't want to know and will tell you to register with OS. I did what my neighbours had done - went into the sorting office and filled in a little form. This gets it put on the Royal Mail database but beware, as I mentioned in an earlier thread the TV licensing people update their database from the Royal Mail one and will chase you for a licence. I am actually going to tell OS because an old name for my house keeps appearing on plans so they obviously don't check with Royal Mail.

It's all good fun and keeps lots of people happily occupied. :grin:
Too true they use one another's databases. (That's one conspiracy theory I do know is true!)

Never mind that though, back to the serious stuff.
Some years ago, due to a dreadful act of criminal folly on my behalf, I got the threatening letter about my not having a licence for the TV I had.
(For some reason, for your information, it is considered a serious criminal offence for which you get a Criminal Record)
As you all know, I am a pleasant, easy going person who would never cause problems.
That being the case, I threw the threat in the bin.
The same thing happened to the following threats including the one threatening me with the dire consequences if they sent out their Storm Troopers.
Eventually the dreaded knock came to the door. (They were decent enough to call in the early evening and not drag me off in the middle of the night!)
"You haven't got a Licence for your TV, sir!" Not wishing to be any more awkward than usual, I looked him straight in the eye and said,
"Have!"
"Haven't!"
"Have!"
"Haven't!"
"Have!"
He realised my childishness was far more ingrained than his and capitulated.
"Show me!"
"Fine! There!"
I took great delight in producing my pristine current TV Licence, totally upto date and following straight on from my previous one.
Exit rather confused man from TV Licensing muttering about their records and inefficiency and incompetence etc. etc.

Reason for problem? Simple really, I had erred by inadvertently not being a sheep. The system could not cope with an, accidental admittedly, lone wolf.
One day at work I realised it was past the end of the month and I hadn't renewed my Licence.
Conscientious little Baa Lamb that I am, I took the first opportunity to go to the Post Office and purchase a TV Licence.
This terrible piece of rebellion was brought about because I hadn't got the reminder the Licence People had previously sent me so the part normally kept by the Post Office wasn't there to be returned.
Their computer was unable to deal with this accidental act of insurrection and proceeded in an attempt to extract revenge.

It was the most enjoyable TV Licence I have ever bought, it drove them crazy!

Porshiepoo, how about calling your house, "No longer lives here!"
That should cause a few headaches!
And don't mention any nearby "water-courses" or closeness to the sea, the Insurance companies specifically ask about them for Home Insurance so whatever you do, don't call it "The Ark"!

mareng
13-Apr-06, 16:24
Why not combine your names and come up with a really cheesy name for your house - there are quite a few of them around Caithness if my memory serves me.

What were these people thinking??

Of the "non-personal name" ones, I nominate the following as some of the all-time worst:

1) Shangri-La
2) Chez Nous (or anything with "Chez" as the prefix)
3) Anything referring to that Spanish hamlet that the owners visited in the 70's

crashbandicoot1979
13-Apr-06, 16:33
Thanks for that. I was just about to write a very sarcastic letter accusing the council of all kinds of prejudice - you've saved me! lol.

Still a joke though eh! What kind of council charges council tax and water rates for a property that isn't habitable? It just doesn't make sense. And then they have the cheek to make you pay for the blinkin bin!!!!!!!!:mad:

What I canna figure out is how they justify awarding a 10% discount if the property is unoccupied, yet a 25% discount if one person lives in it :confused:

mareng
13-Apr-06, 16:42
What I canna figure out is how they justify awarding a 10% discount if the property is unoccupied, yet a 25% discount if one person lives in it :confused:

Crikey! How does that work??

Almost worthwhile getting a squatter!

badger
13-Apr-06, 17:44
I suppose they don't want to encourage people to leave houses unoccupied.

Choosing house names - bit like choosing baby names - do be careful and consider whether you're going to have to spell it every time. Can get very tedious, especially if like me you have to spell your surname as well. In fact that's the only good thing about these databases, with any luck you only need to give a bit of your address and the postcode.

My last house, before I renamed it, was called Lenore. It was a combination of the devoted owners' names but I didn't fancy living in a fabric conditioner.

George Brims
13-Apr-06, 20:05
Someone on this thread suggested calling your house after your favorite place in the world. That's no use. "Cuddled up under the duvet with Sandra" is a silly name for a house.

porshiepoo
13-Apr-06, 20:18
Thanks for all the hints, tips and ideas.
Still aren't any closer to a name though. Part of us really wants to be naughty and choose a name that people are gonna hate lol, but the sensible part of us knows we've got to live here and that perhaps some people may not share the same sense of humour as us. I love the Longshanks one! lol. Don't worry though ain't brave enough, maybe adapt it to 'Longshanks live ere' lol.

Jaws, I did laugh at your little spat with the Tv licence company. I had a similar one about 15 years ago, only I wasn't exactly innocent - Eek!
They turned up on my doorstep - unannounced, how rude is that. lol - and insisted I should have a licence if I had a telly. So guess what I did? Told them I didn't have a telly!!!!!! Yep, I really did. They asked me if I was sure, so I told them of course I was sure, how thick did they think I was? To that they retorted "Thick enough to claim you don't have a T.V when there's one playing in the background!"
God, I cringed. I look back now and lmao but at the time I coulda died. I got a massive fine and I must say it did the trick cos I'm paranoid now about having a licence. lol.
I never was one for lying so I don't know why I tried it that day - one day I'll tell you all about the library incident. lol.

katarina
13-Apr-06, 20:26
[QUOTE]

Thats what we thought! But nope we're paying full rates on the derelict and get a discount for a 2nd home on the temporary accomodation. We're still going through all this with them and trying to sort it all out.
It's a joke really, they even tried to charge us for a mobile home that we have too until we showed them thats it's used for dogs only.

Strange. We only paid 50% on a property which was not derelict,but because we were doing it up. And that's recently.
If it's totally unlivable then you shouldn't have to pay rates at all.

cuddlepop
13-Apr-06, 20:28
When we eventuall y get our own wee but in ben were going to call it Muckinfuddle...think about it :lol:

mareng
13-Apr-06, 21:27
Someone on this thread suggested calling your house after your favorite place in the world. That's no use. "Cuddled up under the duvet with Sandra" is a silly name for a house.

Word of warning, George............... Don't let your wife read that!!!!!!

abalone
14-Apr-06, 00:48
How about Ormes Taigh?or whatever the viking is for house.