PDA

View Full Version : Areas of Thurso to live

tartanyorkie
30-Sep-09, 11:45
I wonder if I could have opinions as to where the best places in and around Thurso are to live. I am very isolated out here and do not see a soul from week to week so need to move where I can meet people. I have a housing application form but am afraid of getting a house somewhere which is horrible and, not being from here originally do not know which housing association has which houses. I would be very grateful for advice. If you do not want to state things publicly on here and possibly start a slanging match please pm me. Thank you.

ShelleyCowie
30-Sep-09, 13:08
I live in the pennyland area. Its a good area, quiet aswell. Nice neighbours too. :)

tartanyorkie
30-Sep-09, 13:31
Thank you. I am grateful for any information about the area. My OH has lived in Reay all his life so has no idea what living in a rough area is like. I was born in Leeds and brought up in what is now one of the roughest estates. Having bad neighbours is a nightmare but at least if most of the other people where you live are nice it helps a lot. I do not want much, just a quiet life at night and friendly people to talk to. I think they must be vampires here because there is no one about during the day, and I mean no one.

ter21wat
30-Sep-09, 13:48
Hi there, I live in the Mount Vernon area and find it a lovely place to live. Its quiet, just a few nice kids running around, and lots of friendly neighbours. Its just a couple of minutes from the river where you can meet lots of nice folk out walking their dogs, a couple of minutes from the swimming pool and about 5 mins walk from the town centre :D x

Boozeburglar
30-Sep-09, 13:50
I don't think you can go wrong with Pennyland or Mount Vernon. If it was me Pennyland would be my choice. :)

tartanyorkie
30-Sep-09, 14:06
Thank you for everybodys replies. Unfortunately the housing application form does not state areas, just the housing associations/whatever. I know which housing association not to apply for now, but which ones do whatever areas. If I just put Highland Council they could offer me a house anywhere. How do I narrow it down? If I had money there would be no problem!

Sandra_B
30-Sep-09, 14:17
Is there a bad area of Thurso?

Cattach
30-Sep-09, 14:30

I do not think there is. Two main areas have already been mentioned, Pennyland and Mount Vernon but a third main housing area deserves mention. Springpark/Mount Pleasant is a very friendly area to live in with an excellent school on its doorstep. The area is known for its friendly neighbourly people and it is so close to the town just across the Ellan Bridge. I have stayed in two of the three areas mentioned here - not a lot to choose but I would say Springpark jusr shades it.

ter21wat
30-Sep-09, 14:35
I do not think there is. Two main areas have already been mentioned, Pennyland and Mount Vernon but a third main housing area deserves mention. Springpark/Mount Pleasant is a very friendly area to live in with an excellent school on its doorstep. The area is known for its friendly neighbourly people and it is so close to the town just across the Ellan Bridge. I have stayed in two of the three areas mentioned here - not a lot to choose but I would say Springpark jusr shades it.

I have to agree with you there - my boyfriend lives in springpark and I love it over there too. Friendly people and the little co-op shop is handy :D

loganbiffy
30-Sep-09, 15:44
2 words is all I need. Mount Vernon.

I grew up there and loved it, great place to stay. Friendly, quiet and not far from the street!

ŠAmethyst
30-Sep-09, 15:58
After living away from Thurso for the past few years, I would definately say that there are no bad parts of the town. Of course, one area may seem more desirable to someone, but the next person may prefer a different area.

I'm currently staying in the Mount Vernon area, and have to say that I am liking it.

Although I don't know many of the neighbours yet. Would love to know who knocks on the door as they walk past when they've let the cat into the building, though! lol

ragdollyanna
30-Sep-09, 19:34
:Razz Hi there

I have lived in 3 different Pennyland houses and they are spacious houses with decent gardens. I love living here, and the school is great if you have kids. Easy to meet other mums at the gate or in the playpark. I have never had any problems with neighbours either which can be a major headache. Good luck!

poppett
30-Sep-09, 19:46
Wherever you live your home is your castle and once you close the front door your life is whatever you want it to be.

I was brought up in Pennyland and when I was offered a council ground floor flat in "The Glebe" some folk thought I was mad. It is perfect for our needs, the neighbours are fine both in our block of four flats and the two houses next door. It is no rowdier at nights than anywhere else I have ever lived...so far, so good.

All of Thurso is fine, although I wouldn`t like to be in High Ormlie, but only because of mobility problems and the proximity of family and friends.

Good luck in your quest. I am sure when we applied for a house the one council form did for Pentland Housing and Cairn too.

Fantoosh
30-Sep-09, 23:33
Try to keep Albyn housing until your last resort :D

teddybear1873
01-Oct-09, 01:07
I would have to say Springpark or Mount Pleasant area is the better choice, unless you get a house near the toon centre. I've always fancied living near the Turnpike, lovely and quiet down there.

I would avoid High Ormlie or the Albyn Housing.

grumpy1
01-Oct-09, 07:25
I stay in spring park area...its handy for everything...far enough out of the way but still close enough to get to where you need......just the way i like it lol

tartanyorkie
01-Oct-09, 10:42
Are Spring Park and Pennyland council? The form does not give a choice of areas, just Housing Associations and the council, so you could be offered a house anywhere as far as I can see. I wonder if I put where I would like in the further information bit they will take notice or not?

Dog
01-Oct-09, 11:25
Best area of Thurso ??? -----Wick

ShelleyCowie
01-Oct-09, 11:50
Are Spring Park and Pennyland council? The form does not give a choice of areas, just Housing Associations and the council, so you could be offered a house anywhere as far as I can see. I wonder if I put where I would like in the further information bit they will take notice or not?

Pennyland area is Pentland Housing Assosiation. If your form is the same as the one i have infront of me then Page 3, "Which highland housing register would you like to be housed by" Its question 1, then put down Pentland housing assosiation.

For spring park its the Highland council. You can tick both boxes.

Hope that helps!

tartanyorkie
01-Oct-09, 12:17
Thank you. I think I have decided to apply with Pentland as it sounds ok and Pennyland is handy for town and Lidls. Just got to fill this long form in now and convince them I need three bedrooms for when OH's kids come to stay. As there is no legal, just an informal arrangement I do not know how we can prove it.

ShelleyCowie
01-Oct-09, 12:24
Thank you. I think I have decided to apply with Pentland as it sounds ok and Pennyland is handy for town and Lidls. Just got to fill this long form in now and convince them I need three bedrooms for when OH's kids come to stay. As there is no legal, just an informal arrangement I do not know how we can prove it.

It is a long form! I just filled one in myself! :confused There is a blank space at the back for you to write in, put in there that your OH will be moving in with you and kids aswell.

I believe that Pentland also take you in for an interview about the form and just to go over it so explain and stress again that a 3 bedroom house is necessary. Depends on the gender and age of the children too by the way.

tartanyorkie
01-Oct-09, 12:30
Well, we need three, or four bedrooms as my son is 16 and he has three girls. It says you need proof but if they come here they can see how small the house is and the photos of the girls. Two have to stay at their grans when they are here in the school holidays so it is not good at all.

I hate filling in forms especially by hand, but the long bit about reasons for moving I am going to type out and stick in- it is a long rant, lol. All the better if they interview you.

tartanyorkie
01-Oct-09, 12:32
Lol, just read that. My son is 16 and OH has three girls, not my son has three girls.

oldmarine
01-Oct-09, 14:52
Best area of Thurso ??? -----Wick

The rivalry seems to continue between Thurso and Wick. LOL!!!

golach
01-Oct-09, 14:59
The rivalry seems to continue between Thurso and Wick. LOL!!!

There is no contest oldmarine, Thurso wins hands down [lol]

Bazeye
02-Oct-09, 13:03
I always stay in one of the wooden "atomics" whenever I visit Thurso. Its quiet and handy for Pennyland primary(where my niece is a teacher) and Frazers, the local shop and Lidls. It was better when The Helmsman was open though, now its a 5 minute walk into town if I fancy a pint, instead of a two minute walk.:)

ShelleyCowie
02-Oct-09, 13:15
I always stay in one of the wooden "atomics" whenever I visit Thurso. Its quiet and handy for Pennyland primary(where my niece is a teacher) and Frazers, the local shop and Lidls. It was better when The Helmsman was open though, now its a 5 minute walk into town if I fancy a pint, instead of a two minute walk.:)

Just round the corner from me. It is a nice area, school is good too. Thats where my OH's 2 kids go too. Cant complain about the area at all.

Bazeye
02-Oct-09, 13:22
Just round the corner from me. It is a nice area, school is good too. Thats where my OH's 2 kids go too. Cant complain about the area at all.

Forgot to mention, you can see Orkney from the bedroom window. Weather permitting, of course.:lol:

tartanyorkie
02-Oct-09, 15:18
I have just handed my form in and we had a ride round all the areas. I must say none of them looked bad but then again kids are in school. Although you can usually get an idea of a place by the stuff hanging about in the gardens etc. and everywhere looks clean and tidy. I just have to wait and see what we get offered now.

retrodj
02-Oct-09, 15:51
I moved up from South West Scotland last year, and my family managed to get a house in the pennyland area of the town. I have to say i find Thurso an incredible place to live. Relaxing way of life, with see views. Id even go so far to say that this is one of the best places to live in the UK. Our area is great. Not far from the school, nice friendly neighbours and its fairly quiet.

ragdollyanna
02-Oct-09, 17:51
Loving your positivity! I totally agree. Too many people winge about Thurso, mostly people who have hankered to live elsewhere but never have. I've lived all over and I love living in Caithness. No traffic, safe, none of this gang intimidation nonsense.

And, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing! :D

tartanyorkie
02-Oct-09, 19:34
So nice to see positive comments about the place. My OH does not realise how bad some places can be. Coming from Seacroft in Leeds prepares you for most places, lol. People who live here do not know how lucky they are.

ShelleyCowie
03-Oct-09, 00:05
Forgot to mention, you can see Orkney from the bedroom window. Weather permitting, of course.:lol:

Yep same here!! Well barely, but can see it!

crayola
03-Oct-09, 00:25
So nice to see positive comments about the place. My OH does not realise how bad some places can be. Coming from Seacroft in Leeds prepares you for most places, lol. People who live here do not know how lucky they are.I don't think coming from Seacroft prepares you for Thurso because the two places are as far apart in culture as they are in geography. I had the misfortune to spend some time in Seacroft once upon a time and it really is the pits. Thurso has almost none of Seacroft's problems and you really don't need to worry about bad neighbours in the way you would down there. I wish you were happy in Reay which can be a fine place but you obviously aren't so a move to Thurso might be good.

Getting back on topic, when I was a lass Mount Vernon was regarded by my friends and I as the posh atomic estate, Ormlie/Pennyland/Castlegreen had its posh bits but it had atomics of all origins and some Vulcans. Springpark was for locals and non-atomic incomers. How much has this picture changed in the last 20 years?

Are Pennyland and Mount Vernon still populated mainly by atomics and Springpark by non-atomics or has population mixing wiped out the distinction?

hunter
03-Oct-09, 21:59
I believe all the public housing landlords now operate a common register - you just make one application for a house and when you reach the top of the list, you'll be offered one by whichever landlord is functioning in the area you selected.

highland red
03-Oct-09, 22:35

Absolutely not as far as I can see (and I don't live there - but almost).

We moved up here just over two years ago and I have to say that I love Thurso: I think it's the friendliest town I have ever come across. I have worked with a lot of young people and they are some of the best "young uns" I've had the pleasure of ever working with.

I also now work with people of all ages and the same goes. My wife and I have had some fairly serious health issues since we moved here and the people have been fantastic.

You will be welcome whichever area you move to. Good luck.

WicksyJunior
04-Oct-09, 10:27
i've lived in a couple of areas in thurso, mount vernon, ' the glebe' and springpark

have to say all three have been decent and have had no problem with neighbours

but if i had to pick one then springpark, but thats just because i got a house for sale there !!( little plug for the items for sale thread)

can't say that now since i've moved to edinburgh. but just keep yourself to yourself and you get no problem.

spaceddaisy
04-Oct-09, 11:08
This thread is making me smile quite a bit since I'm thinking of buying a house in the area in the near future and haven't been here long so don't know the town too well yet- it's good to know that I don't need to worry too much about buying in a bad area...

floyed
04-Oct-09, 11:50
I wonder if I could have opinions as to where the best places in and around Thurso are to live. I am very isolated out here and do not see a soul from week to week so need to move where I can meet people. I have a housing application form but am afraid of getting a house somewhere which is horrible and, not being from here originally do not know which housing association has which houses. I would be very grateful for advice. If you do not want to state things publicly on here and possibly start a slanging match please pm me. Thank you.

Nowhere! move to Wick :eek::lol:

Errogie
04-Oct-09, 11:56
I am intrigued by the possibility that sleepy little Reay may be home to a community of vampires. I will now have to drive through with added caution and trepadation particularly when passing the cemetery outwith daylight hours. And I thought that Sandside Beach was a danger zone!

ragdollyanna
04-Oct-09, 14:07
"Getting back on topic, when I was a lass Mount Vernon was regarded by my friends and I as the posh atomic estate, Ormlie/Pennyland/Castlegreen had its posh bits but it had atomics of all origins and some Vulcans. Springpark was for locals and non-atomic incomers. How much has this picture changed in the last 20 years?

Are Pennyland and Mount Vernon still populated mainly by atomics and Springpark by non-atomics or has population mixing wiped out the distinction?"

Quite interesting to hear that.. my mum was brought up in Springpark. We always wind her up by saying she's from Howngry Hill :lol: (just to wind her up, now - don't take offense!)

She always harps on that in her day it was all teachers and doctors that lived up there. Yeh yeh!

teddybear1873
04-Oct-09, 14:44
"Getting back on topic, when I was a lass Mount Vernon was regarded by my friends and I as the posh atomic estate, Ormlie/Pennyland/Castlegreen had its posh bits but it had atomics of all origins and some Vulcans. Springpark was for locals and non-atomic incomers. How much has this picture changed in the last 20 years?

Are Pennyland and Mount Vernon still populated mainly by atomics and Springpark by non-atomics or has population mixing wiped out the distinction?"

Quite interesting to hear that.. my mum was brought up in Springpark. We always wind her up by saying she's from Howngry Hill :lol: (just to wind her up, now - don't take offense!)

She always harps on that in her day it was all teachers and doctors that lived up there. Yeh yeh!

Howngry Hill, brings back memories to the days of the CB radio in late 70's and early 80's.

crayola
04-Oct-09, 14:59

She always harps on that in her day it was all teachers and doctors that lived up there. Yeh yeh!I remember that the head teacher of Mount Pleasant used to live in Springpark as did some of the teachers from the high school. The head at Pennyland lived in one of the streets off Castlegreen Road, either Brownhill Road or Calder Drive. I don't know where the doctors lived.

Was Mount Vernon really posh or were we reflecting our or our parents' prejudices?

If I had to live in Thurso I'd probably choose Burnside but I'm told there are some nice new houses across the road from Dunbar Hospital which I assume have good views over the river.

poppett
04-Oct-09, 16:54
When I lived in Pennyland in the 1960`s our Dr lived and had his surgery in
Thorkel Road, opposite the West Church manse. Head of the high school lived in a large old house called "Thorfinn" which was recently up for sale.

Even within the "atomics" there were houses of different kinds for different status of staff and family size.

How things have changed in all the schemes with houses being bought, sold and renovated and extended.........anything goes.

crayola
04-Oct-09, 23:15
Now Thorfinn (http://www.georgesons.co.uk/thorfinn.html) is a house I could live in. The decor is oh so not me but that can be changed easily enough. :) That house would go for a million or more in my neighbourhood!

Funnily enough, I was going to say in my previous post that there are some really nice houses in Duncan Street and also in the surrounding streets right down to Olrig Street and Janet Street. I'd like to buy the Janet Street Club and turn it into my very own home in the town. :D

You're so right about the hierarchy in the atomics back then, the four-bedroomed families thought they were a cut above the three-bedroomed ones and anyone who had a four-bedroomed house with a garage attached was almost royalty and they thought they glowed in the dark. The irony was that they all looked the same from the outside. :lol:

poppett
05-Oct-09, 19:42
Thank you for the link to the virtual tour.

You are so right about the original housing heirarchy of the atomics. We lived in a wooden hut...but what a view!!

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Oct-09, 04:51
I used to live in the town centre: above our butcher shop, across from the Chinese restaurant and slap bang next to the Picture House, the post office, the river, and the off-license. Then I moved to Mount Pleasant :(

daisychain
07-Oct-09, 13:04
Now Thorfinn (http://www.georgesons.co.uk/thorfinn.html) is a house I could live in. The decor is oh so not me but that can be changed easily enough. :) That house would go for a million or more in my neighbourhood!

Funnily enough, I was going to say in my previous post that there are some really nice houses in Duncan Street and also in the surrounding streets right down to Olrig Street and Janet Street. I'd like to buy the Janet Street Club and turn it into my very own home in the town. :D

You're so right about the hierarchy in the atomics back then, the four-bedroomed families thought they were a cut above the three-bedroomed ones and anyone who had a four-bedroomed house with a garage attached was almost royalty and they thought they glowed in the dark. The irony was that they all looked the same from the outside. :lol:

Where excatly did you figure this out from??? In the 60's i was brought up in a 4 bed house in castlegreen rd and it had a garage!. then we moved to the circle down in forss rd and not only did the house have a garage it also had a dining room!!!!- very handy with 6 poeple living there. All the neighbours we had were working class people like us, just incomers., My parents were never snobby or considered themselves above anyone else, neither me or my siblings grew into snobs. I spent many years living in springpark which i loved but i had 2 lots of neighbours who thought that they were well above everyone else and they were local folk not incomers like me. I now live back in Pennyland and the only neighbour who acts like he's above everyone else is a local man!!!

camor
08-Oct-09, 08:57
The reason there is no one about during the day is that they are all at their work. You should be glad you don't live in Middlesbrough, under the smog!!!

crayola
09-Oct-09, 09:43
There you have it then.... In the '60s the large four-bedroomed highly-subsidised houses with a dining room and a garage on the Pennyland estate were inhabited by down to earth working class incomers. Nowadays, the only snobs are locals and there are more snobs in Springpark than Pennyland.

What about the Pennyland sheep? Why are there so many in the field below Brims Road? Is it because they think Pennyland is posh?

The question remains, was Mount Vernon posh? Ever?

Turquoise
22-Oct-09, 12:38
I am intrigued by the possibility that sleepy little Reay may be home to a community of vampires. I will now have to drive through with added caution and trepadation particularly when passing the cemetery outwith daylight hours. And I thought that Sandside Beach was a danger zone!

It's an extremely plausible theory and I do believe they are from the same family as the Portgower type :lol:

No daywalkers there...

Bazeye
22-Oct-09, 16:04
It's an extremely plausible theory and I do believe they are from the same family as the Portgower type :lol:

No daywalkers there...

Morayfirth Newsflash. "Man spotted in Portgower".

ShelleyCowie
22-Oct-09, 17:20
Morayfirth Newsflash. "Man spotted in Portgower".

Dont believe it! In all the times i have passed through there i have never ever seen a person! Ever!!

Serenity
22-Oct-09, 19:00

No daywalkers there...

Nah, Portgower residents are all shape shifters. Who turn into sheep. Or at least that was always our theory when passing.

kas
22-Oct-09, 19:57
Dont believe it! In all the times i have passed through there i have never ever seen a person! Ever!!

6 is our record.:lol: Everyone in the car was cheering.

morvenview
22-Oct-09, 20:38
:lol: Must of been 1 lost person and 5 in a search party!!:lol: