PDA

View Full Version : Racist Comments

The Angel Of Death
30-Sep-09, 10:54
After reading These (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8281288.stm) comments on the bbc I cannot believe what I actually read can you imagine the outcry there would have been if someone said Birmingham was to black to host event x

It utterly amazes me how one culture can say something like that but if another says the opposite there immediately branded as racist haled over the coals and publicly slated its beggars believe sometimes

shazzap
30-Sep-09, 11:04
After reading These (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8281288.stm) comments on the bbc I cannot believe what I actually read can you imagine the outcry there would have been if someone said Birmingham was to black to host event x

It utterly amazes me how one culture can say something like that but if another says the opposite there immediately branded as racist haled over the coals and publicly slated its beggars believe sometimes

What's new.

Boozeburglar
30-Sep-09, 12:38
can you imagine the outcry there would have been if someone said Birmingham was to black to host event

yes, and it would be a totally different matter.

one culture can say something like that but if another says the opposite there immediately branded as racist haled over the coals and publicly slated its beggars believe sometimes

one culture? another? what are you havering about?

The Angel Of Death
30-Sep-09, 12:59
The point I'm making is simply why is it ok for one group to say and make racist comments about another but when the shoe is on the other foot its an outcry

For example if a white recording artist / judge said something like the comments made on the link but substituted Glasgow and white for Birmingham and black there would be outcry politicians wading in inches and inches of newspaper columns

Boozeburglar
30-Sep-09, 13:39
one group..another

on what basis are you defining groups?

For example if a white recording artist / judge said something like the comments made on the link but substituted Glasgow and white for Birmingham and black there would be outcry politicians wading in inches and inches of newspaper columns

again, it is different

ter21wat
30-Sep-09, 14:20
I presume that the 'cultures' or 'groups' Angel of Death is refering to would be people of different races or religions, defined by their race or religion.

Cattach
30-Sep-09, 14:48
Racist comments have never been treated equally. You can call a Scot Jock or Weshman Taffy but there are some groups you cannot use a 'nichname' for and it does not have to be too derogatory.

The Angel Of Death
30-Sep-09, 15:11
Exactly but why should it be different though shouldn't it be one rule for all ?

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Sep-09, 17:08
Glasgow's green and white, mate.

davem
30-Sep-09, 17:58
They aren't racist comments at all, it is about cultural mix. What would people say if they held a national steel band contest in thurso - maybe that there was no close association with steel band playing in the area. That isn't racist its a fact, Glasgow is not the first place you would go to for MoBO. Save your energy for something worth being upset about like local services about to be decimated when they freeze the council tax again.

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-09, 18:46
They aren't racist comments at all, it is about cultural mix. What would people say if they held a national steel band contest in thurso - maybe that there was no close association with steel band playing in the area. That isn't racist its a fact, Glasgow is not the first place you would go to for MoBO. Save your energy for something worth being upset about like local services about to be decimated when they freeze the council tax again.

I read the link and that's just exactly what I thought,well put davem.

I thought the article was trying to point out that Glasgow was not the place to have such an event to reach it's target audience.

ter21wat
30-Sep-09, 20:29
I read the link and that's just exactly what I thought,well put davem.

I thought the article was trying to point out that Glasgow was not the place to have such an event to reach it's target audience.

Who would you say is the 'target audience'? :confused

MOBO stands for Music Of Black Origin - music which people from all different cultures, races and religions enjoy :D

Amy-Winehouse
30-Sep-09, 20:37
Glasgow's green and white, mate.

Thats right , the City Council do tend to lean that way ;)

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-09, 20:41
Who would you say is the 'target audience'? :confused

MOBO stands for Music Of Black Origin - music which people from all different cultures, races and religions enjoy :D

I thought daven put it in a nutshell, if you go through life looking for problems, then the chances are you will find some.

Yes, I agree that some people of all different cultures, races and religions will enjoy MOBO music, but it would seem that some of the people that have been nominated for awards didn't feel there talents would be appreciated in Glasgow.

hunter
30-Sep-09, 21:03
Would you object if those rooted in the Gaelic culture expressed reservations about holding their annual jamboree in Caithness, because the area is too anglicised?

I'd understand that, just as understand why someone involved in the MoBo awards has reservations about going to Glasgow.

Show me the non-white artists who've emerged from Glasgow in recent years and I might change my mind.

buddyrich
30-Sep-09, 21:23
I think the concept of the Mobo's is pretty nebulous. What parameters do they use to judge music as being of black origin? Apparently lady gaga was due to appear? I couldnt point out any part of her sub-bowie dancey tripe that's of black origin. Eric Clapton has based his whole musical oeuvre on black origins but i doubt he'll be there. They're resolutely non-rock or blues. Irony, come on in!

It's just another industry love-in like the brits or the mercury prize where the swine get to wallow in each others filth.

Bazeye
30-Sep-09, 22:37
When are the MoWo awards?:roll: