PDA

View Full Version : Goose shooting....

rewster
09-Jan-04, 21:00
:o) Dear all,

Although I have no personal interest in shooting, several of my friends do, and would like to make a trip to the Thurso/Wick area next October (I figure that's when the geese visit?) They are a well behaved middle aged bunch numbering 3 or 4, with good country sense, and sensible gun skills.
Does anyone have any recommendations for accomodation in the area, or an area in which they would be able to shoot?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Geo
10-Jan-04, 12:39
The geese are here just now.

Bill Fernie
11-Jan-04, 14:12
Mr and Mrs Miller run a farm and rent out cottages to shooters, anglers and walkers at Bilbster. They have a web site at http://www.caithness-cottages.co.uk/ for contact details.
Also try Strathmore Lodge http://www.strathmorelodge.co.uk/shooting.htm

Bill Fernie
11-Jan-04, 18:37
I have removed the posting by George against shooting geese as I think it is not appropriate to being a debate on shooting in a posting that was making a simple enquiry.
if George or anyone else wants to debate the merits of shooting then please begin another Topic.

rewster
11-Jan-04, 22:58
:) Bill,

Very fair thank you.

I ought to add that I'm not a shooter myself, but that isn't to say I disapprove.

To be fair it is one of the 'draws' for many people to Scotland, and I should think, a useful passtime to encourage for local trade.

amack
11-Jan-04, 23:42
Check this place out for a great place to stay

www.hawthorns.scotland.btinternet.co.uk

Anonymous
11-Jan-04, 23:46
Dear Billy Bob please could you tell me which type of Geese will you be allowed to be shot, also the time of year?
Thank you.
All the best .
George [evil]

Bill Fernie
12-Jan-04, 10:06
British Shooting Season
Wild Duck & Geese 1 September - 20 February
(Below high water mark)
Wild Duck and Geese 1 September - 31 January
(Inland) - Geese includes Canada, Greylag & Pinkfeet
Duck includes Mallard, Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Common Pochard, Tufted, Shoveler, Gadwall, Goldeneye - 1st September-20th February in or over any area below High Water Mark of ordinary spring tides. 1st September-31st January elsewhere, except that in Northern Ireland all duck shooting ends on 31st January
Coot, Moorhen & Golden Plover: Sep 1st - Jan 31st
Grouse 12 August - 10 December
Ptarmigan 12 August - 10 December
Black Game 20 August - 10 December
Partridge 1 September - 1 February
(In Northern Ireland the season varies from year to year and is generally much shorter).
Pheasant 1 October - 1 February
Capercaillie 1 October - 31 January
Snipe 12 August - 31 January
Woodcock (Scotland) 1 September - 31 January
Woodcock (England & Wales) 1 October - 31 January
Curlew Protected at all times but shooting allowed in Northern Ireland Sept 1 - Jan 31
Deer
Red Stags
Scotland 1 July - 20 October
England & Wales 1 August - 30 April
Red Hinds
Scotland 21 October - 15 February
England & Wales 1 November - 28/29 February
Fallow Buck
Scotland 1 August - 30 April
Fallow Doe
Roe Buck
Scotland 1 May - 20 October
England & Wales 1 April - 31 October
Roe Doe
Scotland 21 October - 28/29
England & Wales February 1 November - 28/29 February
Sika Stags
Scotland 1 August - 30 April
Sika Hinds
Other Sporting Information
Other
Rabbit - anytime
Hares – anytime. Cannot be sold or offered for sale between Mar 1st - July 31st.
For much more information on shooting try the Shooting Links list at
http://www.caithness.org/links/shooting.htm

jjc
12-Jan-04, 17:48
At the risk of having my post deleted for being in the wrong thread...

Wow!!! That's quite a list of targets... :eek:

Anonymous
12-Jan-04, 18:14
Thank you very much Bill you must have been on the same web site, i got all tht here from the RSPB and a Scottish gov web site.
Now if you think i was having a go at you then please exsept my appolige, i did mean you any ofence in any way at all, all i was thinking of, was the poor birds that are going to be shot mindleely in the name of sport, as we both no its Illegal to sell goos with out the shooter haveing a permit and a lissens to sell them.
One thing i would like to no, please could you telll me where these high and low water places are that these folks can go and shoot these poor birds, as all the ones i have seen are on framers feilds.
Any way better whatch what i say our Niall will send me more tellings off.
So BILL JUST FOR YOU, I AM SORRY IF YOU THINK THAT I WAS HAVING AGO AT YOU,
Lots of love George.

Bill Fernie
12-Jan-04, 18:50
Hi George
No problem - just trying to keep the thread on topic which was a general enquiry about where to stay - gets confusing if you head off in too many directions.
As to your questions - a tricky one. As far as i was aware the highland Low watermarks are exactly what they say and may move particularly the high watermark with the tides.
As a very large part of the coast is owned by the Crown Estate i had a quick look at their web site but have not had tiome to look over it all. they own about half the coast and 12 miles out to sea for most of the area round the UK and if you delve in you will find that it has a long history and most of the cash extracted goes to the government nowadays. For the Scottish Coastal Marine section go to http://www.crownestate.co.uk/estates/scottish/marine/index.shtml or if you have lots if time to see just how you cannot really do anything at the beach without being charged some cash then go to the front page http://www.crownestate.co.uk/
Many peope are often suprised to find out just how powerful the Crown Estate is even though it sounds like something from Medieval Days and more or less is except that the money now goes to the treasury and not to Royal palaces.
Sorry I did not get more about the watermarks but it may be on their web site somewhere. I am sure that high and low watermarks will be of great concern to them as there will no doubt be a charge for doing anything other than breathing or walking along the foreshore.

Anonymous
12-Jan-04, 19:38
Thanks for that on the water marks Bill it has aways puzzeled me because a the estates like Dunbeath and Berridale will not let you fish where there rivers meet the sea but i have for some years thourght this was wrong because of the crown estates thing, its quite puzzerling not only here but in other parts of the Uk.
Thanks George.