PDA

View Full Version : Earlier with After Hours

tattoo_tearz
28-Sep-09, 14:07
Earlier with After Hours - A Community Music Showcase.

Earlier with After Hours is a new concept in live music featuring the diverse range of the North Coast Music Scene.

Based loosely on the TV programme “ Later with Jools Holland” the format will consist of several bands set up in different spaces within the room, with the audience filling up the remaining area. In this way as soon as one act finishes the next one is ready to begin giving the whole show an exciting pace.

The North Coast is renowned for its musical diversity with such styles as Scottish, Celtic, folk, Gaelic singing and Piping being traditional for the area. However, since the 1950’s and with the influences of new blood through Dounreay , the US Navy base and Radio & TV there is also a strong modern tradition of Rock’n’Roll, Blues, Jazz and Country Music.

The show will be hosted by After Hours R&B Revue, a local band who have travelled extensively playing at venues all over the country including Blues Festivals as far apart as Shetland and Lancashire. However, the show will feature various styles.

The first programme at the Park Hotel, Thurso is on 31st October and includes:
After Hours R&B Revue, rock/blues band Bad Reputations, an acoustic duo Bridge Pin, young Wick band Friday Night Lights and Addie Harper jnr who in addition to playing his Scottish repertoire will join After Hours for a couple of numbers.

A second session is already being planned for December in Mackay’s Hotel, Wick. This will feature After Hours, the Caithness big band and several other acts.

All proceeds go to charity with the first session being organised by Highland Hospice and Altzheimers Scotland.

This is a family show for all tastes and all ages. Admisssion £4 with concessions £2
( senior citizens & under 18 )

Don’t miss it !

Tell a friend!

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Sep-09, 14:18
It's a good idea, hope it's not a nightmare to set up. Would like to hear from those who go along; to see how it 'works'. Interesting.

theboss
28-Sep-09, 14:19
This sounds like great crack, i'll be there.

Just noticed it's on Halloween. Superb. Everyone should get white jackets and dress up as After Hours. That would be brilliant!

guitarzan
28-Sep-09, 15:24
This sounds like a brilliant idea...

How do you get involved in it?

theboss
28-Sep-09, 16:46
This sounds like a brilliant idea...

How do you get involved in it?

Sent you a PM, biy.

buddyrich
29-Sep-09, 13:14
It's quite a clever idea right enough. I hope it gets a lot of support, though i must disappoint my legions of fans by playing in aberdeen that night. I'll be back for the Wick one though.

Is Ian the MC for the evening or is he drafting in a Jools Holland-type frontman?

Although who up here could do it? If only Stewart Watson were still here...............:)

tattoo_tearz
29-Sep-09, 13:59
It's quite a clever idea right enough. I hope it gets a lot of support, though i must disappoint my legions of fans by playing in aberdeen that night. I'll be back for the Wick one though.

Is Ian the MC for the evening or is he drafting in a Jools Holland-type frontman?

Although who up here could do it? If only Stewart Watson were still here...............:)

i think ian and jim are sharing MCing responsibilities :Razz

loganbiffy
29-Sep-09, 15:08
This sounds pretty fun. I would be interested in taking part at one of the shows for sure.

Jeid
29-Sep-09, 16:27

MJ Watson? Surely not. All he'd do is cough and smile the whole night.

buddyrich
29-Sep-09, 23:43
MJ Watson? Surely not. All he'd do is cough and smile the whole night.

And wear white socks with black shoes. A genuine iconoclast!

And a good piano player. Be good to see him again. Is he in Forres now?

Phoebus_Apollo
06-Oct-09, 11:36
i think ian and jim are sharing MCing responsibilities :Razz

Classic - Old school Legends!!!:D

BigKev
08-Oct-09, 19:14
Dress up as after hours for halloween!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm in!

Jude
09-Oct-09, 11:56
Sounds brilliant.

I wish I could be there. Hopefully the Wick one tho.

Hope it goes well.

Phoebus_Apollo
16-Oct-09, 12:03
Dress up as after hours for halloween!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm in!

Aye why not celebrate All Hallows in After Hours attire....dunno about a white tie though - fashion faux pas methinks:lol:

davie
21-Oct-09, 21:20
Thought I should bump this up - the ould fella running it took the trouble to send me a flyer for the event.

BigKev
23-Oct-09, 19:57
Theres another gig in wick?

When is it, id like to go cos im not going ot make the first one.

buddyrich
23-Oct-09, 20:40
Between Xmas and New Year apparently.

davie
30-Oct-09, 19:48
This Saturday (31st October) in e' Park

davem
30-Oct-09, 20:26
I will be dressing as one of After Hours - sadly I think the white jackets and ties are resting for the night.

guitarzan
01-Nov-09, 15:11
How did this go then?

Everything run smoothly?

Decent crowd?

Looking promising for the next one?

Dog-eared
01-Nov-09, 15:18
It went very well indeed, with a good variety of well played music. Next gig in Mackays Hotel in Wick is highly recommended. :)

guitarzan
01-Nov-09, 16:03
Gutted I couldn't make it to be honest, I will be attending the next one for sure - either in a playing or spectating capacity.. not missing it again!

davem
01-Nov-09, 17:07
A good night was had, seemed to go well, at least 100 customers as well as loads of musicians. Considering the variety of entertainment across the county it went really well. Can't comment on our band (altho people did say thet enjoyed us) but I very much appreciated everything that was on offer.

moncur
01-Nov-09, 18:00
I really enjoyed the other acts last night for the short time our band was there. Unfortunately we couldnt stay long as we had been invited to a halloween party. I'll defo be going to the wick one.

It was good to see a decent turnout covering all age ranges and there was a good variety in the acts from what I saw!

Dynamic Sounds
01-Nov-09, 22:15
It was a really good night. Not all of the music was what I would usually listen to, but that was the great thing about it, lots of bands, lots of genres, lots of fun. And ofcourse the money raised for the 2 charities was the main thing of the night.

I will defo be going to the one in Wick, and this time spend more time listening to the music rather than flashing lights.

G

Phoebus_Apollo
02-Nov-09, 11:50
Brilliant Night - a showcase of the best eclectic talent of the far north and raised £400 for charity - for myself the highlight was hearing John Newton pulling out some stunning slide guitar work (in standard tuning i believe) - awesome!!:D

Thundercrack
07-Nov-09, 13:24
Aye, it was a great night of fine, fine music. Well done Ian and, ofcourse, everyone else involved. John Newton......brilliant but the highlight for me was the young band from Wick (sorry, forget their name)....their enthusiasm and energy was just so infectious. Very encouraging to see so many talented musucians; and a decent turnout! Keep them coming, Ian !!

davem
07-Nov-09, 14:29
Friday Night Lights - yep it was aaaaall gooood.

davie
08-Nov-09, 14:56
I think After Hours and a fair lot of other peeps (The Caithness Big Band etc) are in the Weigh Inn this coming Friday - can any of you musical peeps confirm that ?

davem
08-Nov-09, 15:19
Hi
Yes we are. 7.30 for 8
Its for charity Big Band, NorthCoast Jazz Band The sunday Band and After Hours are playing.
Highland Hospice, Macmillan Nurses amd Cancer Research.
Should be a good night; its called A Night to Remember - and its for Jim Marshall the person whose energy and enthusiasm got the Big Band and so many other things going in the county.

Itr is usually an excellent turnout even in last years blizzard. A good night for a good cause, tickets £5 in advance from the Cancer shop I believe, a good raffle as well. Tickets at the door too.

See you there!

buddyrich
09-Nov-09, 16:45
I'll bring my brushes for playing with after hours. Maybe stuart can play an acoustic guitar.