PDA

View Full Version : Music Downloads

DarkAngel
28-Sep-09, 13:50
Which sites do you all use and which is the safest?

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 14:05
Which sites do you all use and which is the safest?

Are you talking about official online Mp3 retailers or file sharing sites?

Invisible
28-Sep-09, 14:17
I rarely download, I much prefer the CD.
I use Itunes if I download at all.. Although I have been told that Play.com and Amazon are good.

redeyedtreefrog
28-Sep-09, 16:07
I download legally, paying full price. I never rip videos from youtube and take the audio off because it is the quickest way.

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 16:19
I never rip videos from youtube and take the audio off because it is the quickest way.

That is anything but the quickest way, it's actually the slowest way i can think of.

redeyedtreefrog
28-Sep-09, 16:22
That is anything but the quickest way, it's actually the slowest way i can think of.

Say 10 seconds to find the video, a minute to download it, 30 seconds to rip the audio, done in a minute and a half. But I wouldn't know, I've never done this. Takes about 50 mins for me to not bit-torrent an album.

Stingray
28-Sep-09, 16:35
Itunes for me anyday!

Connor.
28-Sep-09, 19:04
Torrents before itunes tbh.

good site for music:

www.mininova.org
www.btjunkie.com

those are generally non-register sites. I get best download speeds from private torrent sites like:

www.bitsoup.org <---(May be over the 100,000 limit but try later)
www.demonoid.com (may need a invitation code, PM me if need one)

(Linking to these sites is perfectly legal and not breaking any rules, as they do not link directly to the torrents.)

Metalattakk
28-Sep-09, 19:06

good site for music:

www.mininova.org (http://www.mininova.org)
www.btjunkie.com (http://www.btjunkie.com)

those are generally non-register sites. I get best download speeds from private torrent sites like:

www.bitsoup.org (http://www.bitsoup.org) <---(May be over the 100,000 limit but try later)
www.demonoid.com (http://www.demonoid.com) (may need a invitation code, PM me if need one)

(Linking to these sites is perfectly legal and not breaking any rules, as they do not link directly to the torrents.)

How do I find where to pay for all these music tracks? :roll:

redeyedtreefrog
28-Sep-09, 19:08

good site for music:

www.mininova.org
www.btjunkie.com

www.bitsoup.org <---(May be over the 100,000 limit but try later)
www.demonoid.com (may need a invitation code, PM me if need one)

Slightly off-topic, but http://www.thepiratebay.org is good not so much for music but for games and movies. Not that I've ever used it of course.

Connor.
28-Sep-09, 19:20
I used to use them alot but i've "jumped ship" so to speak because of the government in sweden put the guys in jail and took over. Although i haven't seen much results in change?

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 19:29
Even worse than the thieving toerags who file-share or download without paying are the russian and far-eastern sites that charge folk for rare music and don't give the artists anything. I could be a millionaire if it wasn't for them. Possibly.

George Brims
28-Sep-09, 21:50
I use eMusic.com, but I am not sure if that's usable from the UK. It has a huge range of music, though most of the non-classical tends to be from independent labels, so you're not getting a lot of the mainstream artists. If you're into classical, it's fantastic. The London Philharmonic are in the process of putting their entire catalogue on there for instance. They also just signed up Sony, which includes labels like RCA and Arista.

Current price is 30 tracks a month for I think about $12 (I get it cheaper as a "legacy" user). If an album has more than 12 tracks you get all of them for the price of 12 (very handy for some classical things that are 25 or 30 short bits). You can often get deals where you get 40 or 50 tracks for free for signing up. I think you can get that if you download the free Winamp program for playing your music.

Best thing of all is you own the tracks you buy and they can be copied to any device. Not like the weird setup with iTunes and the iPod.

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 21:58
Not like the weird setup with iTunes and the iPod.

Itunes is not like that anymore, they dropped the DRM (Digital Rights Management) encryption from their Mp3s, you can copy them to any device now.

Jester
28-Sep-09, 22:26
I mainly use iTunes, but when I remember I look at Amazon who sometimes have the album for a few pounds less :cool: Buy from Amazon and the album appears in iTunes - easy.

Blast!
29-Sep-09, 01:39
I source everything I want illegally online and buy what I like on CD. There's absolutely no way I'm going to pay for digital media in it's current form, it's absurb.

Anyone who is content with ripped audio from YouTube obviously doesn't concern themselves with quality and probably doesn't like music that much.

I wouldn't touch file-sharing applications with a bargepole these days and Torrents are not as good as they used to be. There are much better sources.

People who leech and give nothing back are a disgrace. If you like something then you should pay for it - try before you buy if you will.

Gizmo
29-Sep-09, 08:22
I source everything I want illegally online and buy what I like on CD.

That's exactly what i do as well, i'm old fashioned when it comes to my music and i want the complete product, not just some ones and zeros.

Tubthumper
29-Sep-09, 13:02
That's exactly what i do as well, i'm old fashioned when it comes to my music and i want the complete product, not just some ones and zeros.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the music on a CD digital? Maybe you mean you like to have a tangible product in your hand, in which case i'd go even further and call for vinyl to be brought back... the warmth and clarity through a good hi-fi system can't be beaten! Even the pops and scratches add a bit of flavour!

Gizmo
29-Sep-09, 13:53
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the music on a CD digital? Maybe you mean you like to have a tangible product in your hand, in which case i'd go even further and call for vinyl to be brought back... the warmth and clarity through a good hi-fi system can't be beaten! Even the pops and scratches add a bit of flavour!

Yes, by the complete product i meant, the ones and zeros encoded onto an official factory printed Cd, complete with artwork, and booklet with printed lyrics. We will have to agree to disagree on the vinyl matter as i was never a fan. And a good quality Cd player and Amp beats Vinyl hands down on sound quality. I'm a total music geek, it rules 99% of my life, but i just never saw the appeal of vinyl.

buddyrich
29-Sep-09, 23:57
Maybe vinyl, because of the physical restrictions of the relationship of the needle and groove, placed an emphasis on creative production. Maybe that's why it sounds better to some ears-people had to work harder to make better-sounding records.

The incredible loudness and zero dynamic range of contemporary cd's (Metallica's Death Magnetic is a good example) just isnt possible on vinyl. Maybe a slightly softer, rounder sound is more pleasing to the ear. Good quality vinyl gear playing a good quality record shouldnt be by definition unable to produce high frequencies. Nor should it lack clarity.

I couldnt actually care less about vinyl and dont own a record deck but they do sound good. And gatefold sleeves are cool.

Metalattakk
30-Sep-09, 01:39
Yes, by the complete product i meant, the ones and zeros encoded onto an official factory printed Cd, complete with artwork, and booklet with printed lyrics. We will have to agree to disagree on the vinyl matter as i was never a fan. And a good quality Cd player and Amp beats Vinyl hands down on sound quality. I'm a total music geek, it rules 99% of my life, but i just never saw the appeal of vinyl.

Maybe vinyl, because of the physical restrictions of the relationship of the needle and groove, placed an emphasis on creative production. Maybe that's why it sounds better to some ears-people had to work harder to make better-sounding records.

The incredible loudness and zero dynamic range of contemporary cd's (Metallica's Death Magnetic is a good example) just isnt possible on vinyl. Maybe a slightly softer, rounder sound is more pleasing to the ear. Good quality vinyl gear playing a good quality record shouldnt be by definition unable to produce high frequencies. Nor should it lack clarity.

I couldnt actually care less about vinyl and dont own a record deck but they do sound good. And gatefold sleeves are cool.

Damn, I'm gonna have to agree with you both, to an extent.

I have a fair old collection of vinyl, and a fairly decent deck and amp to play them through. There is a definite warmth and that familiar and most welcome 'hum' of anticipation as the needle lands and you wait for the first track to begin. It's like the buzz of electricity and latent power that you get when you plug a guitar into an overdriven amp.

However, compared to the sound quality of the CD, vinyl lags way, way behind.

For example, there's a CD version of an old AC/DC song intro where you can actually hear the sound engineer stirring his cup of coffee in the control room. It's simply unintelligible on the vinyl version, and they were both pressed from the same master tapes.

Gatefold sleeves vs CD booklets though? Absolutely no contest. ;)

ChuckBuscuits
03-Oct-09, 21:09
yes, by the complete product i meant, the ones and zeros encoded onto an official factory printed cd, complete with artwork, and booklet with printed lyrics. We will have to agree to disagree on the vinyl matter as i was never a fan. And a good quality cd player and amp beats vinyl hands down on sound quality. I'm a total music geek, it rules 99% of my life, but i just never saw the appeal of vinyl.
philistine!
Vinyl rules!