PDA

View Full Version : All Star Factory/Viking Bowl/Liquid no more!

ter21wat
28-Sep-09, 13:32
I've just been informed from a reliable source that the All Star Factory/Viking Bowl/Liquid has gone into liquidation again! I believe the doors are closed as of today.

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 13:56
That's a damn shame, but no surprise, and through nothing but complete mis-management, hopefully someone who has actually got a "clue" will take it over.

MR_A
28-Sep-09, 14:07
All true folks!!

scotsboy
28-Sep-09, 15:00
That is very sad, hopefully someone can take this over who has a clue what they are doing.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Sep-09, 15:02
Are they still showing Flipper starring Paul Hogan??

unicorn
28-Sep-09, 15:03
Thats a real shame but I doubt that anyone will ever make a go of it as it seems people shout for things then just don't support it.
Even less to do for the kids now then.

loganbiffy
28-Sep-09, 17:04
I worked there for a while and enjoyed it. It's pretty sad that a building this big with so much potential has closed it's doors again.

It's true that it was not run properly but believe me, this was not down to the staff.
A sad day indeed, hopefully (I ain't holding my breath) someone who knows how to run a business will buy it and make a go of it!

ShelleyCowie
28-Sep-09, 17:10
Its such a good building that has potential to do something more...something different. If i had the money then i would keep the cinema, change liquid into a soft play area with a small cafe and update the bowling lanes so that they were all in working order.

To be honest i never really liked the idea of the place having a pub even though it was a nice bar. To me its a family place.

But hey...thats me! No money to do it anyways lol

MR_A
28-Sep-09, 17:13
In all honesty its been a long time coming, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

unicorn
28-Sep-09, 17:13
Snap Shelley I said same to hubby :lol:

loganbiffy
28-Sep-09, 17:15
Its such a good building that has potential to do something more...something different. If i had the money then i would keep the cinema, change liquid into a soft play area with a small cafe and update the bowling lanes so that they were all in working order.

To be honest i never really liked the idea of the place having a pub even though it was a nice bar. To me its a family place.

It does have bags of potential. Just needs a shrewd owner/s
Yeah, I'd keep the cinema, and maybe the bowling. There is tons of other good things that could be done with it though.
I'm pretty sure it would make an excellent live music venue as well.

It's seriously tempting to do something with it.

glenniepup
28-Sep-09, 17:27

Poor Shelly No money cos She was conned:~(

Reev
28-Sep-09, 17:34
I personally preferred the bar in its old layout, with the bar in the middle and when you could see the bowling through the window, some epic new year parties were had there, and many a night playing pool, pretty much any night i wasnt working at the Royal, oh......the good ole days of Reev and Pab :lol:

But honestly, who is surprised by this, HOW many times has it been in liquidation now, heh heh Liquids in liquidation, js clicked

cazmanian_minx
28-Sep-09, 17:45
I would have loved to buy it, but the biggest commercial mortgage available is 75% LTV and I didn't have 25% of what they were asking for the place. (Don't think a 2% deposit would have been acceptable!)

Lavenderblue2
28-Sep-09, 18:00
Perhaps some of the local businessmen could get together and form a consortium to buy the place - it certainly would be a money making business in the right hands.
Lets face it, the county needs this place of entertainment.

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 18:12
Sad to see it close, as a regular supporter of the cinema I'll be at a loss what to do of a spare evening.:roll: Anyway, I understand why it may not have been attracting the numbers though, who wants to sit on slashed seats in a cold room eating extortionately priced sweets?:~(

Sandra_B
28-Sep-09, 18:54
I'm amazed that in a place with so little to do someone could actually have a business like this and go bankrupt. It seems like it would really take some effort to run it into the ground. Hopefully someone willing to put in the effort will snap it up and reopen it sooner rather than later.

Wish I had the money...

ShelleyCowie
28-Sep-09, 19:48
It does have bags of potential. Just needs a shrewd owner/s
Yeah, I'd keep the cinema, and maybe the bowling. There is tons of other good things that could be done with it though.
I'm pretty sure it would make an excellent live music venue as well.

It's seriously tempting to do something with it.

It is, just needs the right people with enthusiasm and some great ideas!

Could make a fortune out of having a room for having kids partys and things!

Poor Shelly No money cos She was conned:~(

Em it wasna that much money that i got taken! Plus im gettin it back but dont intend to on buying the bowling alley. :cool:

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-09, 20:16
It's ironic really that a business of this nature that has something to offer the community goes bankrupt, :( and yet if it was a bank, the government would have probably stepped in and spent the tax payers money to save it.:confused

Stavro
28-Sep-09, 20:16
I've just been informed from a reliable source that the All Star Factory/Viking Bowl/Liquid has gone into liquidation again! I believe the doors are closed as of today.

Good riddance!

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 20:45
Good riddance!
God, you're a bundle of joy Stavros!

dragonfly
28-Sep-09, 20:54
lets hope that this time the owners don't get another chance to buy it back

I just can't understand how on earth they could let it run itself into the ground - doesn't take Sir Alan Sugar to work out that all it needed was decently priced deals aimed at families to get them in for meal/bowl/cinema and bar could have been its own entity for over 18's

Just needs someone with a bit of business acumen to buy it

Bobinovich
28-Sep-09, 22:19
It's ironic really that a business of this nature that has something to offer the community goes bankrupt, :( and yet if it was a bank, the government would have probably stepped in and spent the tax payers money to save it.:confused

If the current owners had bothered ploughing some of the money made from the place to keep it in decent condition (esp. the bowling lanes), and hadn't alienated half the population of Caithness with mis-management, then it would probably be worth throwing some tax payers money at it.

However there would have been many more howls of dissent if they had received a single penny of tax payers money - especially when they have systematically run the place into the ground and spent the bare minimum on staffing and maintentance, while still charging extortionate prices! There's nothing worse than trying to keep half a dozen hyper kids happy while you wait for someone to come and fix the lanes - and that's before you even start your game [disgust]!

As it is I prefer to take the kids to Inverness - Rollerbowl, Vue Cinema, Aquadome and, when the weather's decent, Whin Park to let off some steam!

BINBOB
28-Sep-09, 22:49

Surely u do not expect the government to bail this place out,or indeed any other place like it...............this is due to bad management by people who should stick to their day jobs!!:roll:

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 22:52
Surely u do not expect the government to bail this place out,or indeed any other place like it...............this is due to bad management

Eh...isn't that the same as ALL the banks? :p

BINBOB
28-Sep-09, 23:04
Eh...isn't that the same as ALL the banks? :p

YES...:lol:

crayola
29-Sep-09, 00:31
I would have loved to buy it, but the biggest commercial mortgage available is 75% LTV and I didn't have 25% of what they were asking for the place. (Don't think a 2% deposit would have been acceptable!)How much do/did they want for it?

teddybear1873
29-Sep-09, 01:58

I think more people would have gone if they kept there prices lower. When a new film arrived it was weeks after the release after anywhere else.

It lasted longer than I thought.........I'm sure the file sharing programs didn't help.

Aaldtimer
29-Sep-09, 03:29
[quote=Bobinovich;600635]If the current owners had bothered ploughing some of the money made from the place to keep it in decent condition (esp. the bowling lanes), and hadn't alienated half the population of Caithness with mis-management, then it would probably be worth throwing some tax payers money at it.

However there would have been many more howls of dissent if they had received a single penny of tax payers money - especially when they have systematically run the place into the ground and spent the bare minimum on staffing and maintentance, while still charging extortionate prices!

I think quite enough of tax payers money(twice) has already been scooped up by this lot on incompetents/rip-off merchants that they should be given any more![disgust]

ter21wat
29-Sep-09, 06:58
How much do/did they want for it?

My friend was following it on some website, i'm not sure which one it was, but it was originally for sale for around £750K, it then dropped to £495K but still no one was interested. Presumably there was a lot of debt to go with it.

cazmanian_minx
29-Sep-09, 07:36
How much do/did they want for it?

http://www.christie.com/search/brief/8/33752?1254206135

It was on at £650k when I was looking at it, but has now dropped to £495k.

Edit: They've also added a lease option, which wasn't there before.

buggyracer
29-Sep-09, 09:24
Surely u do not expect the government to bail this place out,or indeed any other place like it...............this is due to bad management by people who should stick to their day jobs!!:roll:

and the banks are different how? :lol:

MR_A
29-Sep-09, 09:29
Taken from the for sale web page,

Excellent multi-faceted business opportunity - True

Only cinema north of Inverness - True

Two auditoria (240) - True

Same owners for 14 years - Hence going bust twice!

6-lane bowling alley, bar and restaurant - Bowling lanes and machinery need ripped out and replaced as in a dire state and constantly breaking down! Bar is horrible dark and bleak, was far better before the change and felt much, much bigger! Resteraunt? When was the last time there was an actual qualified chef in house? Food was appaling at best!

Lease option available - and still line their pockets.. I dont think so

I see there is no mention of the state of the place, grotty stained carpets and massive holes in the walls of the pool room.

Lets hope someone with an ounce of credability takes it over and makes it a success.

Connor.
29-Sep-09, 11:08
You've nailed it there Mr A.

The place is literally falling apart due to their complete disregard for creating a friendly establishment for all the family.

*Martin*
29-Sep-09, 11:08
Regardless off the fact that everyone knows the place was a shambles it's a shame to think this has cost quite a few people their jobs.

MR_A
29-Sep-09, 11:28
I'm totally with you on that one Martin.

Thankfully alot of the staff were bairns so they didnt rely on the job to live but for the few that were full time and did rely on the job its a sad, sad sorry state to be in!!!

ter21wat
29-Sep-09, 11:59
Regardless off the fact that everyone knows the place was a shambles it's a shame to think this has cost quite a few people their jobs.

Your right Martin, its a terrible shame for everyone whos lost their jobs, its not easy finding full or part time work in the current climate. I hope they are at least able to pay all their ex employees what they are due :(

BINBOB
29-Sep-09, 12:03
and the banks are different how? :lol:

IF u do not know the difference....I am not telling u.:D

buggyracer
29-Sep-09, 12:31
IF u do not know the difference....I am not telling u.:D

:lol: :lol:

cazmanian_minx
29-Sep-09, 12:36
With a bit of luck the administrators will be able to sell it quickly and everyone will be re-employed. I wonder if one of the chains would take it on? It would be nice to have Orange Wednesday up here.

loganbiffy
29-Sep-09, 12:54
With a bit of luck the administrators will be able to sell it quickly and everyone will be re-employed. I wonder if one of the chains would take it on? It would be nice to have Orange Wednesday up here.

They apparently started Orange Wednesday about 3 weeks ago so I was told.

I think it needs new a new owner for sure, someone who could breathe new life into the place.
I used to work there and the place is bigger than what the public see, there is loads of room down the back!

Maybe something different is what is needed.
Laserquest anyone? How about an indoor sports centre?
Keeping the cinema of course!

Metalattakk
29-Sep-09, 13:06
How about the College take it over and turn it into a music & drama tuition centre.

There's ample room for performance art (two auditoriums) so plays could be held in one and musical performances in the other.

Downstairs there's more than enough room to have a multiplex of smaller rehearsal rooms and practice areas for bands. Maybe even a recording studio.

A small cafe at the front entrance and the college crowd would be flocking there too.

Just some random thoughts, folks. Could it work, though?

Cattach
29-Sep-09, 13:45
Good riddance!

Do not suppose the good, honest, hardworking, staff who have lost their jobs are saying that.

cuddlepop
29-Sep-09, 14:17
How about the College take it over and turn it into a music & drama tuition centre.

There's ample room for performance art (two auditoriums) so plays could be held in one and musical performances in the other.

Downstairs there's more than enough room to have a multiplex of smaller rehearsal rooms and practice areas for bands. Maybe even a recording studio.

A small cafe at the front entrance and the college crowd would be flocking there too.

Thats a really good idea and I hope someone looks into this further.

I'm sorry to see it go but not suprised as a similar venue looks like being closed over the winter and its in Saltcoats.
People have not got the disposable income just now so venues like these
are losing out on custome.:(

loganbiffy
29-Sep-09, 14:37

When I worked there I quite often thought about a concert in one of the cinema rooms. It would be pretty cool.

Recording studio I think would fail though, it's so much cheaper and easier to record in your own home studio these days that everyone is doing it.
I would like a decent studio up here but I don't think it would last.

cuddlepop
29-Sep-09, 14:52
When I worked there I quite often thought about a concert in one of the cinema rooms. It would be pretty cool.

Recording studio I think would fail though, it's so much cheaper and easier to record in your own home studio these days that everyone is doing it.

I'm out of touch when it comes to accessing funding but I'm sure there is money available for youth projects such as these.

We were trying to get something like what MLK was suggesting over here but finding a suitable venue was difficult but we had accessed the money.

Metalattakk
29-Sep-09, 14:55

As part of a college campus though, the recording studio would mainly allow the tuition of sound engineering and such like, and the whole place could be a high level music college of sorts.

It would need considerable funds to purchase and renovate the building though, and the UHI would need to adapt its syllabus to accommodate drama, music and media studies perhaps, to justify the original outlay.

But, of course, it's in Thurso and not the media-focused central belt so it's an idea that's already dead in the water. :(

loganbiffy
29-Sep-09, 15:05
As part of a college campus though, the recording studio would mainly allow the tuition of sound engineering and such like, and the whole place could be a high level music college of sorts.

It would need considerable funds to purchase and renovate the building though, and the UHI would need to adapt its syllabus to accommodate drama, music and media studies perhaps, to justify the original outlay.

But, of course, it's in Thurso and not the media-focused central belt so it's an idea that's already dead in the water. :(

I really like this idea man. I would love to go and do sound engineering, I always wanted to do it years ago but never got round to it.
As you say, it probably is dead in the water but it would be nice.

MR_A
29-Sep-09, 16:25
Why not just open it as it was with new bowling machines/lanes, recovered seats and with a better pricing structure?

That place could be a proper gold mine in the right hands.

Thumper
29-Sep-09, 16:31
Why not just open it as it was with new bowling machines/lanes, recovered seats and with a better pricing structure?

That place could be a proper gold mine in the right hands.

I agree with you,in the right hands with the proper management this place could be great!Films here on release dates,music in the bar,DECENT cooks and updated lanes would make all the difference! There are a few local business "tycoons" who could easily make this place work well-lets hope one of them does just that and we dont lose another amenity! x

porshiepoo
29-Sep-09, 16:41
Darn it! I used to love going to the cinema and being the only one in there. lol.
Never bought their sweets though. There's supporting the place as a business and then there's being ripped off! I think the cinema entrance prices are bad enough but their sweet prices......................
Think they got cocky and figured that as the only cinema/ bowling alley north of Inverness they could pretty much charge as they please.

robglysen
29-Sep-09, 16:47
I was starting to frequent the cinema quite a lot and go to see films I wouldn't normally bother with. Was quite enjoying it, I'd have bowled more but for the poor state of disrepair. I also didn't download films. Ahh well....

£7 a cinema ticket though, didnt the fact that half price tuesdays were quite busy tell them something.

EDDIE
29-Sep-09, 18:52
Well the've went bust, I hope there homes are at risk because of the way they have ripped off the community for years!! What goes round, comes around.

The place was an embarassing disgrace to caithness and the've run the place so far into the ground that for someone to take over will be like flogging a dead horse.

For all potential interested parties.......stay well clear and keep your hard earned cash....the place needs flattened or a total gutting at the very least.

Well done to the selfish incompetent owners...........not!!!!!

Sometimes wonder if location has a lot to do with it being a success or not.
they would have been better of not having a sports bar and more aimed at restaurant cafe style coffee bar aimed at familys with a reputation for good food.

Fluff
29-Sep-09, 19:03
I worked there almost 10 years ago, and over the period when the cinema opened. When I left I never went back, was never made to feel welcome.
I think the management/owners were resistant to change. The chef at the time was full of ideas, mexican night, new menu etc.. but they were just not interested!

davem
29-Sep-09, 19:37
It is a great shame, I used to enjoy bowling until it took at least three searches of the building to find someone who could restart the machinery and a game took eons. I love going to the cinema but found it far too loud in there despite being half deaf anyway. Compared with a drive to Inverness it was not that expensive - will we have to wait for the Silver Screen Machine again?

As for the college idea they took the music dept. down to Alness some time ago. I doubt if they would want to commute from there. They had a drama studio which shut a couple of years ago and Barrogill Hall which was bought for the same purpose but stayed as it was and hasn't been converted to any use.

The place originally was supposed to have been funded for community uses as I understood it but that was a victim of the first bankrupcy. A cinema, bowling alley and bar would be just fine; being able to use the space for performance - ideal.

Commiserations to the staff who always made me and whoever I visited with welcome.

Stig
29-Sep-09, 23:23
I myself worked there in the days of the Viking Bowl when it was busy and you could see the potential in the place, there was a good bunch of staff and the crack was good. But I got the feeling from the management that you were not allowed to enjoy yourself at work so eventually we all left one after an other. What the management failed to realise was that the staff are the main asset in business.
Another reason for the failure is a conflict of interest. DRINK & DRUGS Don't Mix ( so the doctor says anyway ) :lol:

crayola
29-Sep-09, 23:41
http://www.christie.com/search/brief/8/33752?1254206135

It was on at £650k when I was looking at it, but has now dropped to £495k.

Edit: They've also added a lease option, which wasn't there before.
That sounds a good price until you read so many posts about the state it's in. :(

greenasiamcabbagelooking
29-Sep-09, 23:50
what's happening with the cinema development at the old Dominoes site in Wick ?

is that still going ahead ?

Tubthumper
30-Sep-09, 00:07

is that still going ahead ?
Hahahahahaha! With 'Big Beat Leisure' driving towards a site start of Autumn 2007, was it?
They burned our gear - may they burn in hell!!!!

crayola
30-Sep-09, 00:10

is that still going ahead ?Yes, it opens on the same day as the restaurant on the corner of Princes St and Sir John Square in Thurso. I can't wait.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
30-Sep-09, 00:29
so that's a 'no' then is it ?

sarcasm really is the lowest form of wick ... i mean wit :roll:

Metalattakk
30-Sep-09, 01:45

It's also often the funniest form of wit. :D

Jenni
30-Sep-09, 10:37
I think it is a shame the way everyone likes to kick a man when they are down. Typical of small communities though. Without knowing all the facts who are we to slag off the owners. I don't expect they took this decision lightly. I mean they would hardly close the doors on it just to annoy us!! I imagine it was the last thing they wanted, knowing they would have to face all this critiscism in the aftermath. It was a big place and the overheads must have been huge. There would have been wages, heating, lighting, etc to pay before they could begin to make a profit. I know for a fact that there is minimal profit on cinema tickets and that is why the sweets etc were pricey. I certainly don't envy the owners at all.

buggyracer
30-Sep-09, 11:09
I think it is a shame the way everyone likes to kick a man when they are down. Typical of small communities though. Without knowing all the facts who are we to slag off the owners. I don't expect they took this decision lightly. I mean they would hardly close the doors on it just to annoy us!! I imagine it was the last thing they wanted, knowing they would have to face all this critiscism in the aftermath. It was a big place and the overheads must have been huge. There would have been wages, heating, lighting, etc to pay before they could begin to make a profit. I know for a fact that there is minimal profit on cinema tickets and that is why the sweets etc were pricey. I certainly don't envy the owners at all.

agreed :)

reading some of the comments on here you would think this was the owners intentions, knowing any independant businessman/woman id think this was the last thing they wished for, regardless of how the place was ran or managed, i for one feel sorry for any local business that closes :(

chuckie
30-Sep-09, 11:22
I can agree it was probably the very last thing to resort to, but was that before they had to start putting there own money in to it??

Yes the overheads must have been big, but they should have thought about this long ago and introduced there deals/promotions.

I think they had a better layout before liquid was introduced, they had a seperate room for meals, and they could host a private party etc it seemed to work, at that time it was busy and they kept it in reasonable condition they had leagues for the bowlling ally.

Everyone used to start there night out up there then hit the town, yes times have changed and there is less dispossable income around but most people find money for a treat, but maybe not what its been costing lately to go to the all star factory.

Tubthumper
30-Sep-09, 12:31
so that's a 'no' then is it ?

Sorry Greeny, I thought it was you being sarcastic. Did you seriously think that the big plan for Doms would ever see the light of day?

ter21wat
30-Sep-09, 14:45
I would have had more sympathy for the owners if this wasnt the second time they had run the place into the ground. Seems some people never learn from their mistakes :(

MR_A
30-Sep-09, 16:15
I would have had more sympathy for the owners if this wasnt the second time they had run the place into the ground. Seems some people never learn from their mistakes :(

Very True!

Bloo
30-Sep-09, 18:46
Does anybody know whats happening to the building? Is it being demolished, sold on, rented out etc. Also, who owns the building as if its not being demolished, but sold and rented it could have some valuable use.

loganbiffy
01-Oct-09, 07:48
Does anybody know whats happening to the building? Is it being demolished, sold on, rented out etc. Also, who owns the building as if its not being demolished, but sold and rented it could have some valuable use.

It's apparently up for sale and also has a lease option, but by renting would you really want to line the pockets of the owners who have run it into the ground?

pentlander
01-Oct-09, 08:59
Lots of people on here appear to be fantastic business people. Instead of moaning about how these people ran the place into the ground re mortgage your house and buy the place. I am sure you will find it not as easy you imagine.

bish667
01-Oct-09, 09:57
Lots of people on here appear to be fantastic business people. Instead of moaning about how these people ran the place into the ground re mortgage your house and buy the place. I am sure you will find it not as easy you imagine.

Fair comment but they were openly slagged off about the things that were wrong with the place, so its not like they had to guess why they weren't making money.

crayola
01-Oct-09, 10:09
Lots of people on here appear to be fantastic business people. Thanks for the compliment. ;)

Bobinovich
01-Oct-09, 10:14

I'd love to but don't think your average house remortgage would cover the asking price somehow - it would require a few partners each willing to share the risk!

Anyone interested PM me :cool:

Jenni
01-Oct-09, 18:25
Loganbiffy - ('It's apparently up for sale and also has a lease option, but by renting would you really want to line the pockets of the owners who have run it into the ground?')
I am no expert but would imagine if you rented the place the money would go to the liquidators and not the previous owners.

Pentlander - I quite agree with your comments. Everyone sitting around griping about the fact that the place has closed and yet where were they all every weekend - drinking in other pubs no doubt.
I am sure on hindsight there are many things that could have been done differently but you can never please everyone. The owners shouldn't be made to feel like criminals just because they made some bad judgements. They are not the only ones to have their business fail and yet you don't see the rest of them getting slated on the org. I would hate to be in their shoes and have to read some of these comments. Afterall, they are human. You can't tell me that they are not hurt/upset about the comments. I could understand all the upset if anyone who is making these negative comments were owed money but otherwise I think it is a shame. Fair enough to comment that it is unfortunate to see the place close but to be nasty about the owners is a tad unfair.

buggyracer
01-Oct-09, 19:25
Loganbiffy - ('It's apparently up for sale and also has a lease option, but by renting would you really want to line the pockets of the owners who have run it into the ground?')
I am no expert but would imagine if you rented the place the money would go to the liquidators and not the previous owners.

Pentlander - I quite agree with your comments. Everyone sitting around griping about the fact that the place has closed and yet where were they all every weekend - drinking in other pubs no doubt.
I am sure on hindsight there are many things that could have been done differently but you can never please everyone. The owners shouldn't be made to feel like criminals just because they made some bad judgements. They are not the only ones to have their business fail and yet you don't see the rest of them getting slated on the org. I would hate to be in their shoes and have to read some of these comments. Afterall, they are human. You can't tell me that they are not hurt/upset about the comments. I could understand all the upset if anyone who is making these negative comments were owed money but otherwise I think it is a shame. Fair enough to comment that it is unfortunate to see the place close but to be nasty about the owners is a tad unfair.

agreed 100% well said :)

horsegirl
01-Oct-09, 22:48
Shelly Bain "Its such a good building that has potential to do something more...something different. If i had the money then i would keep the cinema, change liquid into a soft play area with a small cafe and update the bowling lanes so that they were all in working order.

But hey...thats me! No money to do it anyways lol"

This is a great idea and is badly needed up here. I have said this a few times to people. Just wish i had the money to go ahead and do it.

tartanyorkie
02-Oct-09, 07:18
My son came home from school yesterday and said he had heard it was going to be a MacDonalds. I think it is just wishful thinking, lol.

retrodj
02-Oct-09, 17:00
It's such a shame that it has closed. I enjoyed taking my wee boy to the bowling and cinema. In the right hands it would tick over nicely i reckon.
I definitely believe the cinema was a plus point up here. I enjoy a good film. The £3.50 tuesday tickets were a great idea and I went a few times.
The pub should be turned in to a softplay area with ball pits, climbing areas etc for the kids, the bowling area should be turned around and made a bit better, and they should update the arcade in the other room. Make a point of it being a family place. Somewhere were you can all go for the day, have something to eat, then go watch a film after having a game of bowling.

tenabowla
03-Oct-09, 09:40
Says in the groat its the recession that brought the fall, seems to me there was no real interest in promoting the business since a long time.

digital02
03-Oct-09, 10:15
See link below, anyone with a spare 1/2 million can buy it.

http://www.christie.com/search/results?1254561169

thebigman
03-Oct-09, 10:19

Obviously hindsight doesn't work in this case as it's the second time that the same folk have gone bust with this place.

tenabowla
03-Oct-09, 10:24
The place had great potential, just a lack of inspiration to keep it going and vibrant was the trouble.

Cattach
03-Oct-09, 12:53
Obviously hindsight doesn't work in this case as it's the second time that the same folk have gone bust with this place.

Its an old story - 'use it or lose it'. I went to see some good films there and there would only be a few people watching. The films were new and in Thurso as quick as they were in the cities, the price was better than I paid elsewhere and the cinema was very comfortable.
As I say 'use it or lose it' and people did not use it and now we have people who were probably never in the place critising the owners and everything else about it.

kia
03-Oct-09, 18:48
Shame its closed.. There is so much potential in that place.. wish I had the money to buy it, It would be so good.. but ..thought the bowling alley stuff was donated by the yankee base for the people of Thurso???

I wish all the staff who have lost their jobs the best of luck and hope you all find new jobs.. Especially the ones who have been there for years.. Keep yer chins up..

Connor.
04-Oct-09, 04:16
there would only be a few people watching.
The films were new and in Thurso as quick as they were in the cities
the price was better than I paid elsewhere
the cinema was very comfortable.

Agree
Disagree
Disagree
Disagree(own opinion, but if that was better then i think you've been mega robbed)
Disagree

crayola
04-Oct-09, 13:11
It would make a grand Asda. :D

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-09, 16:06

Wiz chist thinking at masel. :)

BINBOB
04-Oct-09, 16:29
Wiz chist thinking at masel. :)
Now..that is the best idea yet!!!;)

The Oracle
04-Oct-09, 16:43

Now you're talking !

That is a great idea !

...any idea how we could suggest it to them (ASDA) ?

Bobinovich
04-Oct-09, 16:51
Cripes the site is hardly big enough for an 'A' let alone a full ASDA :Razz!

The Oracle
04-Oct-09, 16:54
Cripes the site is hardly big enough for an 'A' let alone a full ASDA :Razz!

It could be on two levels. There are a number of small footprint ASDA and Tesco stores built like this.

tartanyorkie
04-Oct-09, 16:54

That's what my OH said.

Bobinovich
04-Oct-09, 17:05
It could be on two levels. There are a number of small footprint ASDA and Tesco stores built like this.

Yeah but a small ASDA isn't really gonna be much use. There certainly wouldn't be enough room for a reasonable-sized store, petrol pumps (which we need to get fair priced fuel) and sufficient parking. Its a non starter IMO

The Oracle
04-Oct-09, 18:51
Yeah but a small ASDA isn't really gonna be much use. There certainly wouldn't be enough room for a reasonable-sized store, petrol pumps (which we need to get fair priced fuel) and sufficient parking. Its a non starter IMO

You are probably right. They need a place like Richard's Garage !

BINBOB
04-Oct-09, 22:25
Now you're talking !

That is a great idea !

...any idea how we could suggest it to them (ASDA) ?

Get EVERYONE in caithness to write to them....;)

BINBOB
04-Oct-09, 22:26

It would be better than NO asda at all.;)

dragonfly
04-Oct-09, 23:25
Shame its closed.. There is so much potential in that place.. wish I had the money to buy it, It would be so good.. but ..thought the bowling alley stuff was donated by the yankee base for the people of Thurso???

the lanes and equipment were sold to a member of the naval base and a local who worked there, they were sold down the rivers by the directors, bet they are gloating now tho ;)

elamanya
05-Oct-09, 10:03
why dont they move the whole building thru to the old dominoes site in wick, and turn it into a chinese/ indian restuarant, carry out establishment wick really needs more of them