PDA

View Full Version : The most dismal place in Scotland

crayola
28-Sep-09, 00:08
I was surprised today to discover that Glenrothes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7857781.stm) was voted the most dismal place in Scotland in January this year. It beat off stiff competition from Motherwell and New Cumnock. I went to Glenrothes occasionally in the 90's and I thought it was ok. Has it gone downhill since then?

Anyways, what are your candidates for the most dismal town in Scotland?

My friend from the NE says nowhere is as dismal as Peterhead but I haven't been there myself.

Here are my candidates, in alphabetical order....

Airdrie
Ardrossan
Coatbridge
Port Glasgow
Whitburn

Gronnuck
28-Sep-09, 07:28
There is nowhere more dismal than Cumbernauld town centre on a wet day. I challenge anyone not to be moved to tears after half an hour wandering in and around the place :lol:

joxville
28-Sep-09, 08:11
Salsburgh
Paisley
Greenock
Anstruther
Wick

BINBOB
28-Sep-09, 10:05
;)The org ..on a bad day.;)

Invisible
28-Sep-09, 10:56
Dundee
Paisley
Cumbernauld
Stornoway

Gizmo
28-Sep-09, 11:30
Wick market square for the last few years, and even more so since Woolies closed down, it's been as dismal a place as i have ever seen, you'd swear it had been quarantined off due to some contagious virus.

cuddlepop
28-Sep-09, 12:43
Kyle
Aberdeen
Dingwall
Fort William.
These places just leave me feeling "cold" and depressed.:(

crayola
29-Sep-09, 00:27
Some interesting choices here.....

I like Aberdeen and Anstruther and I almost like Fort William. :)

Architecturally, the centre of Fort William is a drunken kebab-vomit cesspit but the surrounding scenery more than makes up for that.

Port Glasgow and Greenock are barely distinguishable and I imagine Salsburgh to be as dismal as Whitburn.

Moira
29-Sep-09, 00:32
Clydebank, Glasgow.
I have no idea if it constitutes itself as a town but I felt totally miserable on both of my visits here.

Dingwall itself is ok but don't stay at Tulloch Castle if you can avoid it.

crayola
29-Sep-09, 00:38
Most of the old Clydeside towns are dismal and Clydebank is no exception. Renfrew isn't so bad, in parts.

joxville
29-Sep-09, 07:59
Most of the old Clydeside towns are dismal and Clydebank is no exception. Renfrew isn't so bad, in parts.

Aye, yer right, especially about Renfrew with that huge blot on the landscape called Braehead Shopping Centre. My dad was born in Renfrew, if he were alive today he wouldn't recognise the place, it hasn't improved at all even though it's changed.

Amy-Winehouse
29-Sep-09, 08:03
Kirkcaldy
Stenhousemuir
Cowdenbeath
Methil
Wick
Springburn
Dundee
Westerhailes
Easterhouse

But the winner has to be Cumbernauld

joxville
29-Sep-09, 08:07
One of the problems with the towns mentioned comes down to a lack of money spent on the towns to improve them, though I don't pretend to know in which way they can be improved. I mentioned Wick as being dismal however I don't want the Weekers to take it personally, I like the people, they have a good community spirit, better than some of the places I've lived. Salsburgh, on the other hand is a grey town in the middle of nothing with nothing going for it.

Amy-Winehouse
29-Sep-09, 08:17
Wick is dismal, go down to lower Pulteney when its raining ( it rains a lot in Wick:Razz) And there isnt really anywhere more depressing imo, the grey buildings in disrepair, the green mould & slime, very eerie place even from 25 years ago.
On the Wick side Bridge street is a bit of an eyesore tbh, Ive spoken to tourists over the summer who`ve asked `how can you live here???` I nowadays struggle to give a reply, `Its home & where I was brought up`

Id like to say the place was vibrant , the nightlife electric & the football stadium/ club were superb, plenty for my kids to do & lots of employment but there isnt so in my book - its dismal. Just the people are good & kind so it helps

scaraben
29-Sep-09, 16:42
Never forget the "ROCK" from whence you've been hewn ! whatever it may be.

scotsboy
29-Sep-09, 19:07
Alloa
Croy
Wick

Iffy
29-Sep-09, 19:14
John O' Groats - everytime !!!

(with exception to my parent and two dear friends from England who now live near Canisbay)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 19:15
there's way more to groats thats whats at the end of the road though.............. groats is far from a dismal place to live!!

teenybash
29-Sep-09, 19:22
glasgow on a cold wet day......................

joxville
29-Sep-09, 21:30
Anyways, what are your candidates for the most dismal town place in Scotland?

Can I nominate Castle Crayola? [lol]

Invisible
29-Sep-09, 22:17
I think the most dismall place tonight is Ibrox.
:mad::(

EDDIE
29-Sep-09, 22:41
There is nowhere more dismal than Cumbernauld town centre on a wet day. I challenge anyone not to be moved to tears after half an hour wandering in and around the place :lol:

I agree cumbernauld is an eyesore its more of village in a industrial estate.

crayola
29-Sep-09, 23:33
Aye, yer right, especially about Renfrew with that huge blot on the landscape called Braehead Shopping Centre. My dad was born in Renfrew, if he were alive today he wouldn't recognise the place, it hasn't improved at all even though it's changed.Braehead shopping centre isn't pretty but it's pure dead handy for me. :)

The only pleasant town I can think of on the Clyde downstream of Glasgow is Dumbarton but that's not on the river proper.

One of the problems with the towns mentioned comes down to a lack of money spent on the towns to improve them, though I don't pretend to know in which way they can be improved. I mentioned Wick as being dismal however I don't want the Weekers to take it personally, I like the people, they have a good community spirit, better than some of the places I've lived. Salsburgh, on the other hand is a grey town in the middle of nothing with nothing going for it.Salsburgh sounds like Whitburn alright. Wick has dismal bits but it also has good bits and great people and great sea views. Greenock and Port Glasgow are similar in that sense.

Former mining towns can be the most dismal of all. Amy W listed some dismal places in Fife which reminded me about Burntisland and possibly the most dismal of all, Lochgelly.

God knows how these places can attract the investment they so sorely need. :(

Can I nominate Castle Crayola? You can nominate but you can't come in unless you withdraw it. ;)

joxville
29-Sep-09, 23:44
Can I nominate Castle Crayola?

Braehead shopping centre isn't pretty but it's pure dead handy for me.

You can nominate but you can't come in unless you withdraw it.

Pure dead handy?????? You've lived there toooooo long!

You must be close to my hometown of Barrhead, which I visit often, we could meet up for a drink/dinner/dance/go skateboarding. :D

Castle Crayola withdrawn. ;)

crayola
30-Sep-09, 00:04
Pure dead handy?????? You've lived there toooooo long!

You must be close to my hometown of Barrhead, which I visit often, we could meet up for a drink/dinner/dance/go skateboarding.

Castle Crayola withdrawn. ;)Aye, it's pure dead brilliant don't you know? Braehead is quite close as the crow flies but I'm the other side of the river and I always seem to be there when half of Hillington's workforce is invading McDonalds. [disgust]

I'm not sure about skateboarding as it's hard on the posterior, how's about making our Xscape and going snowboarding instead? :)

joxville
30-Sep-09, 00:09
Aye, it's pure dead brilliant don't you know? Braehead is quite close as the crow flies but I'm the other side of the river and I always seem to be there when half of Hillington's workforce is invading McDonalds.

I'm not sure about skateboarding as it's hard on the posterior, how's about making our Xscape and going snowboarding instead? :)

You don't get off that easy, I know Glasgow well...even the other side of the river! I also have a Tom Tom. :)

Snowboarding is it?? You really want me to fall for you, do you? ;)

crayola
30-Sep-09, 00:13
I'll be waiting for you with my camera at the bottom of the slope. The Photography forum won't ever be the same again. :cool:

joxville
30-Sep-09, 00:17
I'll be waiting for you with my camera at the bottom of the slope. The Photography forum won't ever be the same again. :cool:

I'm not doing it naked. :eek:

I've never snowboarded in my life and the last time I was on a skateboard I smashed my teeth. :(

Drink or dinner would be a lot safer.

crayola
30-Sep-09, 00:22
I'm not doing it naked. :eek:Xscape is so cold your Tom Tom will get lost. :lol:

squidge
30-Sep-09, 12:00
Easterhouse and cumbernauld get my vote. Although they are none of them as dismal as harpurhey and miles platting or failsworth and newton heath. yeuch

Cattach
30-Sep-09, 14:33
Been thinking about this for a couple of days! Now there are tots of dismal places but taking one nearer to home I would say Castletown is hard to beat in this respect.

crayola
01-Oct-09, 09:28
Interesting, Cumbernauld is on many people's lists. I don't mind it even though it has no central soul and the old town centre building is a monstrous concrete eyesore. I heard it had been done up but I haven't been there since.

We often extol the natural beauty of our country but many of our towns are dismal and dull. Why is this?

golach
01-Oct-09, 09:35
In my opinion, the most depressing and dismal places I have ever worked in are.
Airdrie
Hamilton
East Kilbride ( Centre One)
Gorgie area of Edinburgh

tartanyorkie
01-Oct-09, 11:07
I hesitated to mention Reay, but at least you have shops and buses in Castletown so it cannot be all bad. This must be the most depressing place I have ever lived.