PDA

View Full Version : Rugs, rugs glorious rugs

munron
27-Sep-09, 20:46
I am obviously up to no good on what is a drechit and dingy night. I have been having a look on the internet as I need to get Windy woo a heavyweight stable rug with a full neck, I might also want one for Paddy as he has been clipped and might get chilly wilburs.

Now I have a well known rug fetish but just wondered what everyone else recommends? Ones I have looked at so far are Thermatex, Rhino and Kingshead but I have heard Fal mentioned a lot. I like Premier Equine for Paddy as they are long but to long for Windy.

I think I am turning into a horse bore (be quiet at the back I havent reached there yet). Better go and change password before OH reads this.....

froal
27-Sep-09, 21:05
I like Fal but never been able to afford one thou !
I'd recommend Masta and Equine Premier, Amigo look good & value for money too.:D

munron
27-Sep-09, 21:11
Thanks Froal, I got her an Amigo medium turnout but the surcingles are just going round her. She isnt fat but sway backed, but there is a possibility I ordered pony instead of horse...

froal
27-Sep-09, 21:36
That's a shame !
Masta are good for wide horses and weatherbeeta are quite big in size too !
Weatherbeeta do a nice joules combo stable rug with Spots on which looks very fetching ! for this winter.
I love rugs too but with my 2 native foals comming Sat i have to restrain my self to get anything like a Rug for them as they've got wooly coats & don't require anything like a Rug !! :roll: thou i did get 2 quite fetching headcollars for them matching too ! :D

Jovi
27-Sep-09, 21:57
We have always used Fal,Weatherbeeta,Premier Equine or Horsewear.Bought 4 of ours Weatherbeeta Taka's last year,great fit,good cover,strong outer,warm and always right themselves after the 'thugs' have a good roll. Also like Premier Equine for the same reasons. Loved the Fal on the narrower horses but found them tight around the chest on the ' big guys'. Need to get 3 new ones this winter,so scouring the net too .I have 2 lovely Weatherbeeta high neck stable rugs..would definitely buy them again..keep the horses lovely and warm,..:lol::roll:

Nibbler
28-Sep-09, 11:17
Hi Munron

I found this family run company through ebay and purchased some rugs for a mate of mine (local). We found the rugs to be of excellent quality and they are also made to the companies own specs - price was very reasonable too. They have lots of good points from various other 'branded' rugs but these points are in the one rug! (Hope I haven't confused you :confused)

Their website is here:

http://www.evisonequine.co.uk/evison/home.php

Delivery was quick and it was reasonable.

They are definately worth a look.

munron
28-Sep-09, 11:28
Thanks all for suggestions, I shall cruise today and see what I can find. Will check out the weblink Nibbler, cheers.

Although i should probably buy myself some clothes as I sit here in ripped trousers, socks on the edge of disintegration and knackered knickers.

Kathy@watten
28-Sep-09, 13:32
I am not allowed by injunction to participate in any rug related activities...am a fully paid up member of a rug addiction club...my name is ***** and I have been rug free for 140 days "que group hug and clapping"
Temptation is everywhere, the internet is a dangerous place when you are on there is rug envy and all the associated problems with seeing rugs. And a sale is a dangerous zone for someone like me!

ShelleyCowie
28-Sep-09, 13:48
I mind when i had my horse, mum splashed out alot of money for a really good rug for him, 1st night out in it, ripped to shreds!!! :eek:

I couldnt believe it. But luckily the place we got it from took it back because it was meant to be rip-proof! As if!

So we bought cheaper rugs from then on! He didnt rip them tho! :roll:

munron
28-Sep-09, 14:09
Well I am no happy with my Amigo turnout - it leaks at the neck cover join and drips down her neck. Poor old lady is also lame as well as chilly so she is shut in the nice cosy shelter with loads of haylage, till the vet comes oot.

PMSL at "rug envy" as I am coveting the prized rambo but have not quite come up with a genuine reason for my requirements

Kathy@watten
28-Sep-09, 15:41
I was doing so well...was warm and rug dry for 140 days and today had a wee relapse...(this I think is indirectly your fault munron!!) well was needing a few rugs for Winter....or is that just a users excuse? am no longer sure...right time for confession time with the hubby, how do I explain this eh? Am probably going to have my internet rights revoked and broadband removed...been nice knowing you all.

brandy
28-Sep-09, 16:03
*gasps* kathy i though you were saving your pennies!!! shakes head.. ok who did you buy for or how many!!! wheres my ruler to slap those wrists!
ohhh and the right time to tell him... prob after youve dazzled him with a super meal and a ahemm... relaxing evening *G*

hercs22
28-Sep-09, 17:23
Thanks Froal, I got her an Amigo medium turnout but the surcingles are just going round her. She isnt fat but sway backed, but there is a possibility I ordered pony instead of horse...

i just bought an amigo for my boy and the surcingles are tiny had to order extenders was very disapointed he is a little overweight at the mo but i doubt those surcingles would go round any horse.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
28-Sep-09, 20:23
on the last count of over 20 rugs between 2 horses there's nooooo way I am spending anothe rpenny on a rug this winter....unless i find a nice lightweight for shannon ...whose out in a trusty weatherbeeta thats now on its 4th horse....

Nibbler
29-Sep-09, 10:26
Hi Munron

Dont know if you have had a chance to look at this site - the choice of rugs is not massive but they are good. I haven't heard any complaints so far from the ones I got before.

majic
29-Sep-09, 12:36
Hi i found if you buy rugs at the end of the winter they are very cheap also when we were on our way back from kent one year we stoped of at robinsons store they had a sale on i got about 10 the stable rugs were only £15 bargin:)

munron
29-Sep-09, 14:05
Hi Munron

Dont know if you have had a chance to look at this site - the choice of rugs is not massive but they are good. I haven't heard any complaints so far from the ones I got before.

Hi Nibbler, yes i managed a quick look but I havent had a close look, if that makes sense. I will have a closer inspection later on hopefully, thanks for the heads up though.

stretch
29-Sep-09, 16:22
I go between weatherbeeta, masta and shires. Got her ones with a hood for the horrible snowy winter months, think I have turned her into a bit of a softy tho with her large wardrobe

cameroncara
29-Sep-09, 17:21
Well I am normally a weatherbeeta fan, but i found this company as my friend runs a horsey website the rugs are great and very reasonable but the quality is fantastic
http://www.rainbowequine.com/products/Rugs_On_Sale/Heavyweight_350gram_Turnout_Rug.html
Recommend everyone have a look.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 18:01
ive seen those rainbow equine ones and noticed also there is a review of one of them in either horse and rider or your horse this month - anyone had one?? are they any good?

cameroncara
29-Sep-09, 18:11
ive seen those rainbow equine ones and noticed also there is a review of one of them in either horse and rider or your horse this month - anyone had one?? are they any good?

Magic, my friend did a review on them for her website, she thinks that they are great, her boy likes to destroy rugs but she says after 8 weeks in the LW one not a mark.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 18:13
whats the website?

munron
29-Sep-09, 18:13
I havent seen one but they have recently started to advertise heavy, I guess I am still miffed about the amigo and wanting a tried and tested, although I had top recommendations for it. I suppose it is what suits your horse, Pads suits the Premier Equine as they are deep cut and he needs that to get round his tellytubbie belly - but it is to long for Windy. Whatever brand they sell in CLB (last winter as I think they have different now) was like a mini skirt on Pads and rubbed windy. The Amigo has come up short in some areas but it is an excellent fit in the body I would say apart from leaking necks and short surcingles. I dont like Windys lightweight Masta, hence buying the Amigo, as it was too heavy and cumbersome for her dainty figure and Paddys masta fleece cooler was skin tight - but that might have been my washing.

Yabber yabber yack yack - its like a war and peace of rugs really......I challenge any of you to have read this far cos I bored myself ;-)

I actually think that we should all write to horse magazine to be testers - and they would get the honest truth then and we would all get shiny new rugs to try, as I suggested it I, off course, should get the latest, top of the range rambo ha ha ha

By the way why do you lot all have emoticons and I dont :( - makes own

munron
29-Sep-09, 18:16
Where did that come from??????? Do you actually have to type your own (smilies that is)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 18:16
i would be very very dissapointed with amigo - why not take it back ? it shouldn't leak - write to horseware.....

hope that wasn't one i recommended because i'd recommend all horseware..... love it but dont have much of it coz its so dear

munron
29-Sep-09, 18:19
No it was after I bought it chick that a few fowk said yay how great they were, but had bought it beforehand.

It is where the neck attaches to the body, it sat flush for a couple of days then the neck folded back and that is where the rain is coming in. It wont sit flush now for love nor money

Kathy@watten
29-Sep-09, 18:19
Keep on trucking you are a wicked woman indeed..why post a link like that! I am still reeling from yesterdays lapse! now I have had to go and measure the young lad up for a rug that he so doesn't need!

cameroncara
29-Sep-09, 18:21
Well I am normally a weatherbeeta fan, but i found this company as my friend runs a horsey website the rugs are great and very reasonable but the quality is fantastic
http://www.rainbowequine.com/products/Rugs_On_Sale/Heavyweight_350gram_Turnout_Rug.html
Recommend everyone have a look.
Keep on truckin website is in quote.....Kathy im just as bad...thankgod my hubby works away as it gives me time to hide stuff.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 18:27
No it was after I bought it chick that a few fowk said yay how great they were, but had bought it beforehand.

It is where the neck attaches to the body, it sat flush for a couple of days then the neck folded back and that is where the rain is coming in. It wont sit flush now for love nor money

hmm i'd phone horseware.........

I dont do detachable necks i just can see how it would work.....always have full/ high or standard neck....

munron
29-Sep-09, 18:43
Premier equine attach with two large velcro strips onto the opposite of one side of the velcro (dumbo doesnt know the terminology) and never moved a muscle all winter no matter what Paddy did to dislodge. Amigo attached with 4 velcro thin stips throug a d ring and that allows it to move me thinks.

But yer right K o T, if you dont phone and tell them then no-one will ever know, so I just might :)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
29-Sep-09, 18:50
if you send it back you might get an exchange for another rug or vouchers or summat............

munron
29-Sep-09, 19:20
ooo err I might, cos I am in a right complaining mood right now.....

munron
30-Sep-09, 08:57
Righty have had a look on Ride-away and a couple are interesting.

Weatherbeeta Belmont Heavy Combo, but it only has 370g fill, might need more - price is a penny short of £70, is this a good price? Or the Joules for an extra £8, are you just paying for the design?

Rhino Plus Heavy - 370g fill, £85 - my only worry is if the surcingles come up short again there is no way it is going round Paddy - but at that price I wouldnt hesitate to complain.

Or I can get a MASTA CONTOURED FULL NECK STABLE RUG (sorry for caps, cut and pasted) for Windy on sale at £40 (only one left in her size) - it has less fill 340 but i would prob need to get her a liner anyway

Any other cheap websites I can compare prices on?

munron
30-Sep-09, 09:35
Sorry to reply to myself, but is it wrong to want to buy a pair of snuggy horse pyjamas??? I mean they are only £135.......

oh must go, a van has just pulled up

stretch
30-Sep-09, 09:43
I have bought off of www.barnstormers.co.uk (http://www.barnstormers.co.uk), got my hooded rug for £55 which I thought was pretty reasonable

topotheuk
30-Sep-09, 09:55
Derby House are having a rug day today with up to 35% off and new stock just arrived.

I have used www.horserugs4u.com in the past. They seem to be a hit or a miss. I've never had much bother with them but others have had to wait a while for delivery.

Seaforth are usually good with their rugs. They had a good sale recently, which won't help, but I find them quite competitive with their rugs.

daisychain
30-Sep-09, 11:09
I would highly recommend a Horsewear Rambo XL for Paddy, i had one for the heavy gypsy cob that i had a while ago, he was the same build as Paddy and the rug fitted like a glove. I tried to get one for Smarties but couldn't find one anywhere. They're in the Robinsons Cataloge this winter, they are expensive but worth every penny. It can be very frustrating buying rugs mail order or Ebay you get them home only to find that they don't fit properly then you have to send them back or try and sell them on. Hope you get it sorted out!!!

munron
30-Sep-09, 12:05
I would highly recommend a Horsewear Rambo XL for Paddy, i had one for the heavy gypsy cob that i had a while ago, he was the same build as Paddy and the rug fitted like a glove. I tried to get one for Smarties but couldn't find one anywhere. They're in the Robinsons Cataloge this winter, they are expensive but worth every penny. It can be very frustrating buying rugs mail order or Ebay you get them home only to find that they don't fit properly then you have to send them back or try and sell them on. Hope you get it sorted out!!!

Cheers for that, they are grand I must say but no matter what way I put it in my head I just canna justify one :( but then again there is always Dino........

Thanks for the other linkies, I think rideaway has come out cheapest and I cant find the Derbyhouse 35% thing? Although they do have a clearance bit, but nothing I need in there, but thanks anyway.

Jovi
30-Sep-09, 18:11
Hi Munron,have you had a look on Equestrian Clearance,they sometimes have really good sale items or end of line..all branded. They also have a section for larger sizes. The rugs I bought from them arrived in 3 days at no extra cost for the Highlands and were less than half price..might be worth a look. :D

munron
30-Sep-09, 18:47
Thanks Jovi, had a quick look and the Joules is cheaper but there is nowt for Paddy. I have used them before though (remembered when I seen the site) and they were good.

Jovi
30-Sep-09, 19:06
Good luck with the search...do you think anyone spends even a tenth of the time they spend trawling the net,ads and retailers trying to find 'THE perfect rug' for their horse finding a coat for themselves? :roll:

munron
30-Sep-09, 19:24
Nope, went online yesterday and ordered joggers 2 of each type, that will do me for the winter. Went onto markies for knickers and decided they were not really that exciting so I will do it another day :)

I have made my decision though - a joules for windy cos I have a top the same saddo and I think a Rhino for Pads - but if anyone has a Rhino out there can they let me know if the surcingles would go round a fat cob.

I am going to check local though to see if they can supply at around the price, may as well try and keep the pennies in the county if possible.

Foxy
30-Sep-09, 21:08
After reading all the posts on this thread and trawling all websites mentioned :eek:, i ended up ordering my rug from Caithness livestock breeders today. I must say there price is very competitive. :)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Sep-09, 21:10
what breed is that o rug?

Foxy
30-Sep-09, 21:14
what breed is that o rug?

Rhino gold.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Sep-09, 21:15
Rhinegold???

munron
30-Sep-09, 21:30
Foxy, I have to look up the loft but if it is the guff I bought last year then they are not great. I have to say again I must confirm what I have but they were blue things with neck and they didnt do little or large. This is not a clb slight as I have a great fleece for the old girl from their and now I think they have wetherbeeta landas etc in stock.

Last year I needed a rug ASAP as old one broke / taking on new old nag and I did no research.

In saying all of that it may suit your cuddy down to the ground, but if you are a 5 6 or 6 9 I am happy to let you try my ones on for size / fit / quality

Bakerbhoy
30-Sep-09, 23:30
I have tried a few different rugs for my boy and the best I have found is the weatherbeeta with the wrap around tail flap, can't remember the name of it. He has it from the lightweight standard neck up to the full neck heavyweight, nothing like accessorising ;) I have a fal and although it is a lovely rug the tail flap lets it down I think. My friend bought an amigo for her horse and OMG the surcingles wouldn't go round a dog!!!! 5ft9" rug with surcingles that wouldn't fit a shetland, what is that all about?!?!?!

Foxy
30-Sep-09, 23:42
Rhinegold???

[lol] sorry that's what i ment, sadly brain ain't working again!!!!

Foxy
30-Sep-09, 23:49
Foxy, I have to look up the loft but if it is the guff I bought last year then they are not great. I have to say again I must confirm what I have but they were blue things with neck and they didnt do little or large. This is not a clb slight as I have a great fleece for the old girl from their and now I think they have wetherbeeta landas etc in stock.

Last year I needed a rug ASAP as old one broke / taking on new old nag and I did no research.

In saying all of that it may suit your cuddy down to the ground, but if you are a 5 6 or 6 9 I am happy to let you try my ones on for size / fit / quality

Well i was told they sell a lot of them and no complaints, so will give them a try. ( when it falls apart i will hear you all saying we told you so :eek:)

munron it's an old horse we have and her rug is knackered and she feels the cold on a good day. Thanks for the offer of a try on but she's a 6 foot as the one she has just now is 5 9 and she needs slightly bigger.

topotheuk
01-Oct-09, 10:56
See now I feel a rug purchase coming on. Off to buy a 6 foot full neck for ma boy...hm Premier Equine or Weatherbeeta or maybe even a Funnell or Mark Todd, groan groan I remember the good old days when you had a Rambo or a crappy canvas rug, no competition, no days of thinking pros and cons, colours, shapes, materials, you either had the canvas or the Rambo - simples... :)

topotheuk
01-Oct-09, 11:26
I will need that full neck today as it is now pouring hail stones!! :(

munron
01-Oct-09, 12:54
I know it is a rotten day.....wish my stables were finished.

I think I am off horseware now as I would be worried about the surcingles, think it will be weatherbeetas for windy and premier equine for paddle waddle, I did so fancy a change though.

Pony
01-Oct-09, 19:31
Im a huge fan of horseware rugs including amigo and have never had a problem with the surcingles (but perhaps thats cos my horses arent cobby types). I think they do a broader version of rug for cob types. But would suggest that whatever rug you try - if it is mail order - see if you can borrow one to try first as its costly having to return mis-fits.

munron
01-Oct-09, 20:59
Righty can someone tell me - do rugs shrink when washed? I know fatso is fat but his neck cover is now nippit. He is so never getting out of that grassless paddock unless someone can leap to his defence....

Kathy@watten
02-Oct-09, 09:33
Oh fantastic took wee lad in yeaterday night as it was cold and wet...and joy he has outgrown all the rugs....feel a wee shop coming on to add to the shopping I did the other day. We are going for a derby house combo rug as he grows so quick no point buying a dear dear one yet.

madman
02-Oct-09, 10:57
Oh fantastic took wee lad in yeaterday night as it was cold and wet...and joy he has outgrown all the rugs....feel a wee shop coming on to add to the shopping I did the other day. We are going for a derby house combo rug as he grows so quick no point buying a dear dear one yet.
tell me about it yearling started out in 5'3" in spring and now in 6'3"!!

Kathy@watten
02-Oct-09, 18:39
Well am now all shopped out bought another 3 rugs today for the mob, no more growing allowed till spring and dare anyone trash a rug...will be threat of going in a tin!

munron
04-Oct-09, 19:00
Righty where are you guys getting all of these rugs, I have checked Derby House, Rideaway, Horserugs4u, barnstormers, premier equine and a few more and I can get anything I want in 5ft 9 but 6ft 9 is like gold dust. All I want is a nice full neck jobbie that will keep him cosy and a super cosy for the old girl.

PS Keep on Trucking is about to fall off the wagon as well - grass grass

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Oct-09, 19:41
haha.... i have a 300g 6'9 shires full neck with good tail flap...in stock £45 ....very good rug!!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Oct-09, 19:43
ps i haven't fallen off wagon yet - because im still searching ....still cant find a 6'6" medium lite landa combo for less than 62.... I refuse to pay 62 for a 100g rug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought first time i read your post munro you mean that you were telling me you were about to fall off wagon but now i realise you were grassing me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

munron
04-Oct-09, 20:03
Ha ha if that is a stable rug stick a sold sign on it for me please and i will get windys online.

Now shall I splurge and go rambo heavyweight stable at 120 plus or should I just do a joules wethabeeta mmmm

I think she needs something nice as she is the grand dam of the cover star on this months SNE Equestrian :)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Oct-09, 20:07
ahh no it's a 6'9" turnout...sorry - got a 6'6" stable though ..... sorrrry ...false alarm.............

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Oct-09, 20:08
I think she needs something nice as she is the grand dam of the cover star on this months SNE Equestrian :)

haha is she....thats cool - windy old birdy....faither in law was complementing WA on what a fine mannie he is and how he would have sold the creme de la creme o ponies in his day!!!

munron
04-Oct-09, 20:09
I think he would fit in a 6 6 as i usually buy bigger for his neck - wot like?

Forgot to add I could get windy a fal on offer as her size always seems to be so fal, wetherbeeta or rambo ordinary (but real heavyweight) or rhino with full neck - what do you think for an elderly pony who feels the cold and needs molly coddled.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Oct-09, 20:11
its no a hevy - maybe a medium weight it'd think - maybe 200g..... guess with a stable wouldn't matter so much if it was on last hole for neck if you ken fit i mean - you can have a look ...

munron
04-Oct-09, 20:14
haha is she....thats cool - windy old birdy....faither in law was complementing WA on what a fine mannie he is and how he would have sold the creme de la creme o ponies in his day!!!

I shall pass on FIL kind comments, WA showed me the add today he put in the groat that someone has his corn (or is it barley) thingie - trying to find it (he cant recall who borrowed it) but they put it in with the ads for skins and entertainment etc

munron
04-Oct-09, 20:16
its no a hevy - maybe a medium weight it'd think - maybe 200g..... guess with a stable wouldn't matter so much if it was on last hole for neck if you ken fit i mean - you can have a look ...

Thats fine I dinna want heavy as I have a 450 premier equine for him - just no point in using that in the stable and going out in his 200 in the day, so that sounds grand.

topotheuk
05-Oct-09, 12:35
Well I got my full neck yesterday, horsey very happy last night, but rug off today as we now have glorious sunshine. On, off, on, off, here we go!!

munron
05-Oct-09, 14:01
I was out so they were left sweating bad mum, and as Kay is coming will just leave it just now as he will probably roll and no see him for mud.

I have ordered two joules so it will be windy wag and paddy poof, what with Dino and his pink rug they will all be well matched.

MA will still have a look at that light 6 6 though, will do for warmer nights.

Ash87
07-Oct-09, 18:10
Bear with me as this is my first attempt at uploading a picture... But check out this rug on one the horses at Hayfield in Aberdeen! :D Im not sure if the uploading will work?? :)

http://img267.imageshack.us/i/dscf4269.jpg/

Ash87
07-Oct-09, 18:36
Apologies about the size!! Not a clue what Im doing really :)http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/am196/DSCF4269.jpg?t=1254936869

froal
07-Oct-09, 18:55
Wow ! :cool: i want one but can't cause my Furrries don't require one ! dam [evil]

munron
07-Oct-09, 19:00
I think that is what I have for my two but in the stable version.

Got another horse coming on a weeks trial tomorrow - if anyone sees a tall but obviously very handsome man wandering around talking to himself, drinking buckfast out of a bottle in a brown bag, sleeping rough under what appears to be a horse rug - can you tap my husband and tell him I need my rug cheers and give him a newspaper for cover :)

Loraine
07-Oct-09, 23:24
I think that is what I have for my two but in the stable version.

Got another horse coming on a weeks trial tomorrow - if anyone sees a tall but obviously very handsome man wandering around talking to himself, drinking buckfast out of a bottle in a brown bag, sleeping rough under what appears to be a horse rug - can you tap my husband and tell him I need my rug cheers and give him a newspaper for cover :)

[lol][lol] He's taking it well then?!!!