PDA

View Full Version : John Thurso MP

Rheghead
27-Sep-09, 15:06
Can anyone tell me what charity work or other work he has done over the last 8-9 years that he has been in office.

What has his record been on encouraging the masses of renewable energy projects and other industries that want to create jobs in the far north?

Has he emerged largely unscathed from the expenses scandal?

Do you think he is trustworthy?

Do you think his other financial interests hinder his performance as your MP?

Do you think he can do more to represent the North?

Do you vote Lib-Dem just because it is John that represents you?

There is an election coming up and do you think he is focussing upon the issues that affect you the most eg Crime and disorder etc

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-09, 15:08
Can anyone tell me what charity work or other work he has done over the last 8-9 years that he has been in office.

What has his record been on encouraging the masses of renewable energy projects and other industries that want to create jobs in the far north?

There is an election coming up and do you think he is focussing upon the issues that affect you the most eg Crime and disorder etc

You thinking on challenging him then .........................Rheggers for Parliament ;)

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-09, 15:18

I don know of any but Im sure I have seen something in the papers to do with charity work and Lord Thurso.

I havent been paying attenton in this area either. Although I do know he has worked closely with some companies in the area.

Yes he has come out of this one quite clean I believe.

I do.

No!

He does a good job but there is always room for improvement.

I would only vote for the party I felt was best for the job ......... of course Johns rugged good looks does help. ;)

There is an election coming up and do you think he is focussing upon the issues that affect you the most eg Crime and disorder etc[/quote]

At this momment in time employment and riding the recession is the most important thing for me at present and I believe John is working a lot behind the scenes on this one. :)

tonkatojo
27-Sep-09, 15:37
I don know of any but Im sure I have seen something in the papers to do with charity work and Lord Thurso.

I havent been paying attenton in this area either. Although I do know he has worked closely with some companies in the area.

Yes he has come out of this one quite clean I believe.

I do.

No!

He does a good job but there is always room for improvement.

I would only vote for the party I felt was best for the job ......... of course Johns rugged good looks does help. ;)

At this momment in time employment and riding the recession is the most important thing for me at present and I believe John is working a lot behind the scenes on this one. :)[/QUOTE]

Hear hear, He does a good job, if he would only switch to UKIP he would get my vote too.

Rheghead
27-Sep-09, 19:11
How much importance should we place upon trustworthiness in an MP, especially if its our own?:confused

jac1791
27-Sep-09, 19:21
he was a great help to me fighting the C.S.A when they said they had lost my paperwork - they soon found it and gave me compensation thanks to John Thurso

davem
27-Sep-09, 20:35
He does what he says he will, when he says he'll do it, as a constituency MP I think he's the genuine article.

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 20:37
A decent bloke who can communicate well. Beavers away in the background and doesn't make an issue of it. Understands the almost-forgotten concept of 'service'. Uses contacts and knowledge to bring people together for the common good. And most excellent facial hair.

gleeber
27-Sep-09, 20:41
I don't know John Sinclair personally but I imagine him to be a trustworthy fellow.
He's MP for this part of the world for as long as he wants it. Mind you I wouldnt vote for him.

redeyedtreefrog
27-Sep-09, 21:05
I dont know much about him but he seems a very likeable trustworthy guy.

Whitewater
27-Sep-09, 21:26
I have had contact with him over several issues, some for myself and others for organisations/clubs I belong to. He has always been helpful, all my queries have been looked into and in the majority of cases a favourable solution was found.

As for the expences scandal, I can't recall his name ever being mentioned.

Personally I have always found him to be trustworth, when he gave his word to look into something he has never let me down.

Whitewater
27-Sep-09, 21:31
I think being trustworthy is the most important quality to be found in anybody, MPs included. If an MP is not trustworthy what is the point of voting for him/her.

maverick
27-Sep-09, 21:39
I think he is like all MP's you have to be a good liar, how many MP's will give you a straight answer? He (and this is my opinion only) has never done anything that has or ever will be beneficial to Caithness. Every problem thay I have had where I felt that my MP could or would have been able to help me has never been resolved. I would trust him as far as I could throw him, but that goes for all MP's. roll on the next election................. long live the revolution..

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 21:44
I think he is like all MP's you have to be a good liar, how many MP's will give you a straight answer? He (and this is my opinion only) has never done anything that has or ever will be beneficial to Caithness. Every problem thay I have had where I felt that my MP could or would have been able to help me has never been resolved. I would trust him as far as I could throw him, but that goes for all MP's. roll on the next election................. long live the revolution..
It sounds like you've had a hard time of it. Care to give us some examples of what's happened and what you would have expected?

Green_not_greed
27-Sep-09, 21:45
I have been in contact with John Thurso on a variety of issues over the years, and have always found him to be extremely helpful especially in forwarding information and dealing with others. Like Robert McLennan before him, I believe that he is an excellent constituency MP and is always there to represent you if you need it. I have always found John Thurso to be trustworthy and dependable. My politics are not Lib-Dem but I judge people on who they are rather than what they represent and for what its worth he will get my vote again next year.

GNG

maverick
27-Sep-09, 21:51
It sounds like you've had a hard time of it. Care to give us some examples of what's happened and what you would have expected?

No I am afraid that I have lost all faith in politics and politians, our country is going to hell in a hand cart and the politians are at the wheel...... may god have mercy on our souls.

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 21:55
No I am afraid that I have lost all faith in politics and politians, our country is going to hell in a hand cart and the politians are at the wheel...... may god have mercy on our souls.
Very useful answer. So you have nothing to say, and we can take it that you've had no dealings with Mr T. Looking forward to the revolution, during which I bet you'll be nowhere to be found. Goodbye.

redeyedtreefrog
27-Sep-09, 22:54
I looked up his expenses a few months ago, but i think the most incriminating thing I found was a mobile phone for a tenner...

Fly
27-Sep-09, 22:59
I don't know John Sinclair personally but I imagine him to be a trustworthy fellow.
He's MP for this part of the world for as long as he wants it. Mind you I wouldnt vote for him.

May I ask why you would not vote for him?

maverick
27-Sep-09, 23:30
Very useful answer. So you have nothing to say, and we can take it that you've had no dealings with Mr T. Looking forward to the revolution, during which I bet you'll be nowhere to be found. Goodbye.

and good riddence to you too!

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 23:31
Is crime and disorder the issue that affects us most here? I think not, and I think that JT is constructively involved in a lot of initiatives aimed at minimising the economic impact of Dounreay/Vulcan decommissioning. Seriously, you seem an educated and passionate bloke, are you thinking of running Rheggers?

Fran
27-Sep-09, 23:57
I think he is a very trustworthy man and he does get things done. He does do charity work and he is a caring person. It was john thurso and robert Maclennan who got the Renal Unit in Caithness. John thurso is still working for those patients by trying to get the unit extended. He is very good as an mp and helps many people.We are lucky to have him as our mp.

sweetpea
28-Sep-09, 00:07
Is crime and disorder the issue that affects us most here? I think not, and I think that JT is constructively involved in a lot of initiatives aimed at minimising the economic impact of Dounreay/Vulcan decommissioning. Seriously, you seem an educated and passionate bloke, are you thinking of running Rheggers?

I feel your passion, crime is remnant from disorder and people having nothing better to do so I go with your theory.
I think the decommissioning is an opportunity, not a threat,
but we need to know what's expected....

For the survey, I am quite happy with him, give me a lot of choice and I might think differently.

ywindythesecond
28-Sep-09, 01:07

Got any specific problems in mind? Why are you attacking John Thurso this way? Strikes me that if it was a fellow Orger you were having a go at the Mods would have closed it down instantly. Not that I suggest that should be done, but how about explaining why you have posted this and what your gripe actually is?
For the record, I wanted to vote for JT last time because I believe him to be an excellent and hard-working constituency MP but his party has an untenable energy policy so I couldn't do it.

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 01:12

I agree that crime and disorder are not issues that greatly affect us up in the far north, but, and it is a big but, people want it to stay that way so crime and disorder will be an issue that will be foremost in the minds of northern voters.

I've been a party to a service that emails me any speeches that John Thurso makes in the House. He has been very quiet of late and he hasn't been really vocal on many issues except the energy white paper and it wasn't an issue in my opinion since the movement on the ground spoke louder than the down graded nature of the language in said paper wrt to Pentland Firth.

I've been a tad disappointed in him due to my perception of his lack of technical knowledge on the Pentland Firth re. potential energy etc.

As for his personal integrity, it seems impeccable and long may that be so, however, would local voters still rally around him if he was exposed as a crook?:confused

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 01:15
Got any specific problems in mind? Why are you attacking John Thurso this way? Strikes me that if it was a fellow Orger you were having a go at the Mods would have closed it down instantly. Not that I suggest that should be done, but how about explaining why you have posted this and what your gripe actually is?
For the record, I wanted to vote for JT last time because I believe him to be an excellent and hard-working constituency MP but his party has an untenable energy policy so I couldn't do it.

I'm not attacking him, just asking questions to get a feel for voter empathy towards him. And to get good picture in my mind whether he deserves my vote on his present track record.

Do you think he is protecting a secret, is that why you are asking?

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 12:10
As for his personal integrity, it seems impeccable and long may that be so, however, would local voters still rally around him if he was exposed as a crook?:confused
That phrase makes you sound like the most base of tabloid hacks!
Has there been any suggestion of wrongdoing? No! Has the idea of wrongdoing been sown in peoples minds? Yes! Who did it? You! And why? That's what I'd like to know.
There's a word I'm thinking of, 'tchyoub' or something similar - can you help me out here?

davie
28-Sep-09, 14:18
I'm not attacking him, just asking questions to get a feel for voter empathy towards him. And to get good picture in my mind whether he deserves my vote on his present track record.

Do you think he is protecting a secret, is that why you are asking?

I really despair for democracy in this banana republic of ours. The op's voting intentions being influenced by a straw poll on Caithness.org. The mind boggles !
Maybe he should get out a bit more and develop a mind of his own.

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 16:52
Maybe he should get out a bit more and develop a mind of his own.

Perhaps John should get out more and let us know what he really is doing? I'm all for somebody who actually does something for a change.

Thumper
28-Sep-09, 17:21
John does work hard,he takes nothing lightly if you ask him for help. I am endebted to him for helping to save my home,without his help I would without a doubt have been made homeless!Nothing seems to be too little or too big a problem for him to try and help with,perhaps there should be more mp's/msp's like this! x

Stavro
28-Sep-09, 18:05
I agree that crime and disorder are not issues that greatly affect us up in the far north, but, and it is a big but, people want it to stay that way so crime and disorder will be an issue that will be foremost in the minds of northern voters.

:confused

The fact that drugs are on the increase is an issue and many of the crimes in Caithness are drug related. Jamie Stone called the figures "shocking."

maverick
28-Sep-09, 18:42
That phrase makes you sound like the most base of tabloid hacks!
Has there been any suggestion of wrongdoing? No! Has the idea of wrongdoing been sown in peoples minds? Yes! Who did it? You! And why? That's what I'd like to know.
There's a word I'm thinking of, 'tchyoub' or something similar - can you help me out here?

maybe you should try winding your neck in a wee bit after all you are a little fish in a big pond.

davie
28-Sep-09, 18:54
Perhaps John should get out more and let us know what he really is doing? I'm all for somebody who actually does something for a change.

The original poster is beginning to sound like the New Liebour hopeful who tried to start scurrilous rumours on the same subject a few months ago and was sent back under his stone in short order.

btw Ihave never voted for John Thurso and will not do so in the future.

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 19:14
maybe you should try winding your neck in a wee bit after all you are a little fish in a big pond.
It wasn't me who was fishing for information, was it? My neck will stay precisely where it is, ta. Perhaps Maverick my friend, you could answer the question I asked you, and let Rheghead answer for himself.

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 19:18
Jamie Stone called the figures "shocking."
Why is no-one enquiring whether people might not vote for Jamie Stone if he had crooked dealings exposed? After all, policing and crime is a devolved issue, and nothing to do with John Thurso.

maverick
28-Sep-09, 20:53
It wasn't me who was fishing for information, was it? My neck will stay precisely where it is, ta. Perhaps Maverick my friend, you could answer the question I asked you, and let Rheghead answer for himself.

why should I give you Information that does not concern you, is it to simply improve your social status? Come the revolution, I would be right up front with the rest getting my teeth knocked in, where would you be probably hiding under the bed, and like all good politians when the dust settles you would come crawling out and taking credit for the outcome.

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 21:07
The original poster is beginning to sound like the New Liebour hopeful who tried to start scurrilous rumours on the same subject a few months ago and was sent back under his stone in short order.

How was the original poster trying to start scurrilous rumours, please give quotes please. Baffled...

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 21:10
If Labour uncovered something that genuinely was true about John that didn't quite fit with his impeccable reputation, lets just suppose for the moment it is possible...:roll:, would it back-fire on Labour as trying to play dirty politics, given the voters implacable admiration for John?

Andy
28-Sep-09, 21:26
:DI've had dealings with our MP and yes he has always been helpful and done all that was asked of him he even got pictures of MPs speaking in parliament for my Daughterwhen she asked him to. Yes I'd vote for him.

ywindythesecond
28-Sep-09, 21:30

Sorry, I know I am not allowed to double post but what exactly is your gripe? Has JT done something specific that he should not have done, or has he not done something specific which he should have done, and if you cannot put up you should shut up.
ywy2

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 21:40
Sorry, I know I am not allowed to double post but what exactly is your gripe? Has JT done something specific that he should not have done, or has he not done something specific which he should have done, and if you cannot put up you should shut up.
ywy2

My gripe is that I think he is under-performing in certain areas. I appreciate he has performed well for people on an individual basis, stirling stuff an'all that. But he seems very quiet in the House with respect to representing Caithness, I never hear about him speaking. So he's the one that's shut up.

For a second there I was convinced that you thought that I had knowledge of something about him that I wasn't telling you.

Tubthumper
28-Sep-09, 21:49
why should I give you Information that does not concern you, is it to simply improve your social status?
YOU were the one that posted about JT not helping you, I simply asked what had happened. How could anything YOU do improve MY social staus?

Come the revolution, I would be right up front with the rest getting my teeth knocked in, where would you be probably hiding under the bed, and like all good politians when the dust settles you would come crawling out and taking credit for the outcome.
Whose revolution, yours? With the rest of who? And what on earth is a 'good politian'? And what makes you think I'm one? You have anger issues friend. Goodbye.

ywindythesecond
28-Sep-09, 22:36
My gripe is that I think he is under-performing in certain areas. I appreciate he has performed well for people on an individual basis, stirling stuff an'all that. But he seems very quiet in the House with respect to representing Caithness, I never hear about him speaking. So he's the one that's shut up.

For a second there I was convinced that you thought that I had knowledge of something about him that I wasn't telling you.

Please be specific about your complaints Reggy "he seems very quiet in the house" is not a strong basis.

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 22:50
Please be specific about your complaints Reggy "he seems very quiet in the house" is not a strong basis.

I think it is being specific.

If your MP isn't prepared to stand up and fight his corner for his own patch then we may as well have a ventriloquist's dummy as an MP?

hunter
29-Sep-09, 23:18
He seems like a decent bloke, for sure, and he seems to pursue every local gripe until officialdom becomes exhausted.

But he's never going to be on the inside of Government, is he? In the Lib Dems, he'll always be a voice in the wilderness of Opposition, certainly at Westminster, so these local issues are how he builds up voter loyalty.

If it's influence on national policy rather than parochial politics you want, I'd suggest the area needs to elect someone with a blue badge or a red badge. In reality, the Government at Westminster is only ever going to be Tory or Labour. Continually returning a Lib Dem keeps this area firmly on the periphery.

I'd emphasise this isn't a personal reflection on John Thurso's ability, merely a suggestion that he bought the wrong ticket in the raffle.

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-09, 00:41
He seems like a decent bloke, for sure, and he seems to pursue every local gripe until officialdom becomes exhausted.

But he's never going to be on the inside of Government, is he? In the Lib Dems, he'll always be a voice in the wilderness of Opposition, certainly at Westminster, so these local issues are how he builds up voter loyalty.

If it's influence on national policy rather than parochial politics you want, I'd suggest the area needs to elect someone with a blue badge or a red badge. In reality, the Government at Westminster is only ever going to be Tory or Labour. Continually returning a Lib Dem keeps this area firmly on the periphery.

I'd emphasise this isn't a personal reflection on John Thurso's ability, merely a suggestion that he bought the wrong ticket in the raffle.

I watched Ali G Indahouse for the first time the other night,:lol: and after some of the rubbish that has been talked down at Brighton recently I think Mr G has a bigger chance of my vote (if I ever voted).

Ali G. InDaHouse Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NldsVFWagqs)

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 21:35
The skies are still blue for John, no storm clouds as yet on the horizon and he is doing his bit for tourism at the very end of the tourist season...;)

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1455615

davie
28-Oct-09, 21:41
I doubt very much if JT had any input into the timing of this 'seminar'.

As you point out, its the end of the tourist season, what better time to plan and discuss the way ahead for 2010 and beyond ?

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 21:44
2010? Do you think we'll see much of him next year?

As for Gaelic Mod and bilingual signs he is caught between a clach and a hard place.

badger
28-Oct-09, 21:50
I doubt very much if JT had any input into the timing of this 'seminar'.

As you point out, its the end of the tourist season, what better time to plan and discuss the way ahead for 2010 and beyond ?

Exactly. There would be no point holding such a seminar at the beginning of the season (too late) or during (everyone too busy) so when do you suggest, Rheggy?

In fact he frequently raises local issues in the House and probably does a lot more behind the scenes than we hear about in the Press, as those of us who have asked him to raise matters know.

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 22:01
OMG, people are so touchy and defensive about John, I like that, I really do. What were you thinking that I was implying?

Good to see John putting his efforts into representing his constituency even right at the last, never too late I say. Trying to market a desire to come here is great, almost revolutionary in approach. I guess he'd want the tourists to go to the museums and heritage centres and that, eh, packed full of all the artifacts of honest Highland yesteryear, untainted by corperate greed and corruption? :confused

upolian
28-Oct-09, 22:54
another thread out of control,keep it up:roll:

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 23:11
In fact he frequently raises local issues in the House and probably does a lot more behind the scenes than we hear about in the Press, as those of us who have asked him to raise matters know.

Which issue did he raise in the House which you asked him to do?:confused

Rheghead
29-Oct-09, 00:26
Would people generally agree that John Thurso's pro-nuclear and unsympathetic stance towards wind energy and other minor issues like hunting and expenses has made him a somewhat embarassment in his own party and has left him very vulnerable to deselection from the Liberal Democrats in the light of any unsavory matters that might arise? If so, would he garner strong local support from the wider Easter Ross and Sutherland areas if he stood as an independent?:confused

Fran
29-Oct-09, 01:07
I;m sure JohnThurso will find all this very interesting when he reads it!

Rheghead
29-Oct-09, 01:39
I;m sure JohnThurso will find all this very interesting when he reads it!

Who else but the man himself would be better to answer my questions seeing nobody can be bothered to discuss his prospects. I'm sure he will be eager to discuss the points that I've raised, but then again perhaps not so much. I believe he has been a very busy man these last couple of days...:lol: