PDA

View Full Version : Wasp Nest

BertoBear
27-Sep-09, 10:03
I have just discovered a wasps nest in the eaves of my house. It is about 3ft long what do I do about it? Have checked outside and can see a small hole under the tiles with a few wasps buzzing around it.

Apart from finding a few wasps in the house which I thought were coming in from outside they are not bothering us to much, however I have a lot of things stored in the eaves (the contents of my daughters house as she has recently sold her house and moved in with me).

What would you recommend I do?

painter
27-Sep-09, 10:47
There is a powder you can buy and it goes around the enterance of the nest. As the wasps fly in they get the powder on them and bring it into the nest which will eventually kill them off. May have to do it a few times though. Probally get the powder from a garden centre.

joxville
27-Sep-09, 11:19
I'd get a pest control expert in to deal with it cos I'm a big scaredy-cat. ;)

locini
27-Sep-09, 11:20
Phone the council - Im sure they are obliged to remove wasp nests as it can be a big hazard for obvious reasons.

If they cant help themselves, im sure they can put you intouch with someone that will do the job properly.

I would not recommend trying this yourself :eek: unless you have the proper protective gear on.

biskit
27-Sep-09, 11:26
I had a wasps nest recently in the eaves of my house.Phoned the council and they put pest control out to get rid of it.Cost £47.

Cattach
27-Sep-09, 11:35
I have just discovered a wasps nest in the eaves of my house. It is about 3ft long what do I do about it? Have checked outside and can see a small hole under the tiles with a few wasps buzzing around it.

Apart from finding a few wasps in the house which I thought were coming in from outside they are not bothering us to much, however I have a lot of things stored in the eaves (the contents of my daughters house as she has recently sold her house and moved in with me).

What would you recommend I do?

Get the council's pest control expert in - safer and more likely to be quickly effective. I have tried both DIY method and council and the latter proved best on more than one occasion.

jac1791
27-Sep-09, 14:48
i just got rid of a nest in our shed, we bought spray from Home-Base which worked great and only cost about £5.00

BINBOB
27-Sep-09, 16:40
I had a wasps nest recently in the eaves of my house.Phoned the council and they put pest control out to get rid of it.Cost £47.
Yes..thought they charged.

joxville
27-Sep-09, 17:26

Yes..thought they charged.

At that price it's just as well they don't charge by the wasp. :eek:

[lol]

sassylass
27-Sep-09, 17:30
Be careful though, autumn is wasp mating season which makes them extra aggressive.

igglepiggle
27-Sep-09, 17:51
we had a wasp nest a few months ago, we used the spray out of tescos, seems to of done the trick!! found loads of dead wasps fallen out of it! but ours was smaller than yours!! i think that size i would go to the council!

doodles
27-Sep-09, 22:56
Does anyone know of a way to prevent getting a wasps nest??? I have to say the though of it terrifies me!

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 01:28
Get a midgey net over your face, put on an all in one boiler suit and tape up every bare bit of flesh. Get a small trowel and break up the nest and cart it off in a bucket well away from the house and drown the lot. That was what I did lol

Scunner
28-Sep-09, 09:59
Spray the nest in the Evening, as the wasps are less likely to be out and about. Or better still, ask a friendly local beekeeper. They have the suits and gauntlents so can get up close to the nest.