PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

Anonymous
08-Jan-04, 17:51
:roll: Please could some one tell, if its possible to run a modem through a Playstation2, some keeps jumping up in the back of my mine about it, so any help will do [mad] [mad]
Please keep it simple as Is stars wars on here if one ask's fae help, so be carefull its only a PS2 and not away to save the NHS or out like that [lol] [lol] [lol] [evil]
All my love.
Sir George of Dunbeath [lol] [lol]

A_Usher
08-Jan-04, 18:17
George,
As far as i am aware then yes the ps2 does have a modem for purchase allowing both 56k and broadband.

Regards,
Andew Usher
www.andrewusher.com

Donnie
09-Jan-04, 11:05
You can buy a Network adapter for the PS2. The adapter will allow you to link the PS2 to your PC and let you share the modem/connection.

Anonymous
09-Jan-04, 13:05
I'd go for the network option meself. That way if you do ever get broadband down that way, its only yer pc you need to upgrade for it :) Plus if your on windows XP, network setup is sweet, sometimes we do like wizards :cool:

Why do they call these things consoles anyway? Should be a BPC, butchered PC :) Keyboards, mice, network connections, its a PC. Got to be more compatiable with the rest of the world than a mac anyway :roll:

Donnie
09-Jan-04, 16:05
I guess thats why they are called Next Gen Consoles. I agree with you anyway. They are getting closer and closer to turning in to PC's. Especially the xbox seeing as it has a 8gb hard drive.

Unfortunatley the network adapter can only be used with a broadband connection. It can be bought for about £25.

A_Usher
09-Jan-04, 16:39
I am assuming its broad band only for network connectors due to the rj45 connector.

However i think for the next generation consoles to stand the test of time then they are going to have to be easily upgradeable, especially when it comes to processor and graphics ability. And especially in the hard disk department. All my PC's now have 160 gig hard drives as standard due to many application and games increasing hard disk requirements. My laptop on the other hand has a tiny 16 gig hard drive which is feeling a little tight :~( .

This used to be the problems with the old macs, they could be really difficult to upgrade and expensive as there where not a lot of oem or third party companies offering parts. I believe they are much better now, although I don’t use them personally, and they wouldn’t be my first choice, not now that PC's have just as good video and graphic editing software.

Ah, makes me think of the great old Sinclair zx spectrum and its 48k. Fond memories of typing in games from crash magazine, which took days to input and inevitably had a typo, leading to days of frustration. :D

Andrew Usher
www.andrewusher.com

Anonymous
09-Jan-04, 16:44
Thanks for the answers, a friend of mine has got a PS2 and a keyboard, so i will pass on all this info to him,
So thank you one all for taking your time to help me out.
Yours sincerely.
George. :o)

Donnie
09-Jan-04, 16:53
Next Gen consoles aren't meant to stand the test of time. They have a bout a 5 year shelf life before the newer bigger better console is released. The 8gb hdd on the xbox is more than adament.

A_Usher
09-Jan-04, 17:13
Hi Donnie,
I have to admit i have lost track of consoles after the PS2. Before that i had a few, and i have a few fond memories of the old Sega mega drive.

Years back i used to do a lot of programming, especially on the spectrum, amiga and Atari st machines, mostly assembly language, and it made me think, partly due to a conversation with an old computing colleague that I am not overly convinced we have the same playability in some games as we did with the old spectrums, Amiga etc. Just my opinion though, and I guess a lot of younger kids will never have come across the old legacy of computers and video. Granted we have some great games at the moment, any one playing CoD?, but a lot of games seem to be rushed, especially movie tie ins, and I cant help wondering if some software companies are more interested in profit than quality.

Another thing, does anyone remember lotus exprit for the spectrum, it was a kind of cops and robbers game. I am sure it existed, but a friend thinks I am just becoming senile.. :roll:

Andrew

Anonymous
10-Jan-04, 13:31
I have to disagree on the playability of games, I think the bar has been raised considerably.

Andrew, you seem to be hankering back to the good old days of rubber keys, a computer you could really abuse, especially after the original BSOD (black screen of death) just before you get to put yer head down the toilet at the end of JetSet Willy. That was the day I found out speccys could fly and bounce and still it came back for more. However, looking back is much nicer than actually being there, dont get me wrong, I'm a full on retro-gamer and have a couple of thousand speccy games and old arcade classics (MAME is the coolest thing since sliced bread), but there is no way that any of these games could ever be more than a 10 minute distraction before a 12 hour mega sesh on quake 3.

CoD was ok, but a bit easy and a bit short, nice gfx tho and good with the sound cracked way up (surround rulz). As with all these games though, they just aint a patch on the original quake 3, all hail John Carmack, for he hath created the greatest gaming engines known to man. How many games hath he spawned????

I always have to laugh at the little Dr Freemans out there who try to tell me CS is better than Quake3, lol, when Carmack cast off the tired Quake 2 engine for greater things, some muppet though it would be a good idea to create a slow motion version of quake, give it some different weapons and call it Half Life :)

Colin Mcrae Rally 3 tho is a real winner in the driving game leagues. I've seen it on PS2 and its almost as good, comes up short as always on the FPS, I find the TV flicker a bit much to cope with when doin 110 round the mountains in Spain.

And, yes, Crash, wow, such memories, such nightmares. A little less typoified was sinclair proggys, or sinclair user, but yup, I remember sitting with a pen checking off each line of tiny code (of which there were usually thousands) and still never getting it to work, must be where I got my patience from :) (The angry man from chewing the fat comes to mind)

Yes I remember Lotus Esprit and could probably give it you if I can find the CD, must be all of 30 or 40k :)

try here for a laugh:

http://www.spectrum.lovely.net/

A_Usher
10-Jan-04, 18:39
Hi Niall,
Cool link, back 2 skool, thats a blast from the past. :D

CoD is a great multipayer, much better than the MoH i think. I kind of liked outcast, not so keen on JKA. I like those for the multiplayer aspect. Jolt has good servers.

I am with you on the half life and CS.

Niall do you remember the siclair QL, the one up from the 48k, slightly longer, with plastic keys, boy was that horrific.

Bring back rubber keys !!!!!

A.

squidge
10-Jan-04, 23:04
How old are we all?????

I used to have a Saturday Job selling Sinclair Spectrum, Atari and the Commodore 64 if i remember rightly....Ahhhhhhhh happy days. Being WH Smith's Special Products Assistant always sounded much more interesting than it really was.

:D

Anonymous
11-Jan-04, 13:35
Hehe, nothing like a bit of retro-gaming eh?

My list of previous compuahs r:

Sinclair ZX81
Bought this second hand with no tape leads :/ Had the manual tho, so was a BASIC mastah, before I ever saw a game :)

Sinclair Spectrum 16k (48k)
Wow, what a beast, nothing needed 48k when I got this, and the games were out of this world. Hours and hours of Horace Goes Skiing, then came JetPac, and life was never the same. This beastie was later upgraded to 48k (birthday pressy) and then... well just what could you do with all the memory? wow! So many games, so many games, very few actually surviving in memory as classics. Daley's Decathalon, Fairlight, JetSet Willy, Wheelie, Elite, Enduro Racer, all the "Ultimate Play The Game" games. Happy days.

Sinclair Spectrum 128k+2
This one was slick, nice keyboard (so much better than the speccy+) and a built in tape deck (a forunner to the design of the QL me suspects), but the coolest thing was multi-channel sound, 3 whole channels wowee!!! Such games as Tai-Pan, and some arcade conversions featured this groovy sound, but apart from that, nothing ever really took advantage of the big memory. Still it was a speccy, so how could I be dissapointed :)

Atari ST 520
I had to save for ages for this one, gone were the days of Sir Clive's cheap computing for all. Also gone, were the pure, tight coding days of the speccy and out came the sloppy, memory hungry dross that has followed ever since. However, a cool machine, loads of colours, no more clash like the speccy, and pretty much as much sound as you could handle, even wee circuit diagrams to help you to convert it to stereo (of sorts). Good games tho, F16 Falcon, Bubble Bobble, Star Wars, too many to mention. Floppy Disk Drive, wow, never could afford a hard drive, but floppy disk drive, wow!!!

Atari ST 1040
WOW, 1 meg of ram!!!! Now we are into the days where you could really set about doing word processing and stuff. I'd have had a crap CV were it not for me ST. By the time I got this though, the ST was dying and there was not much on the go other than shareware conversions of old arcade classics, Bellum being the most played version of Galaga I ever had. Everything was a bit 2D, but colourful and fast so made for good gaming, strangely enough, the shareware stuff at the end of the ST's life reminded me of the good ol speccy, 10 games on a floppy, all tight, all fast, all very playable. (bellum was 36k if I remember correctly). This was the machine I learned HTML on. Or at least the very first few tags that were available, no internet connection back then, you needed to be BT to have one of those :)

PC (286-586)
When I was working in Aberdeen, a mate of mine asked me round to show me a new game he'd got for his PC. "PC" said me, "there office computers not gaming machines!!!". By the time he'd got Doom up and running I was hooked, wow!!! 3D!!! and lots of it... When I moved back up north, my Dad bought me an old 286 to muck about with, just after he'd got himself a top of the range Pentium 75Mhz machine. So much investigation was required for me to set about upgrading it to a beast PC. A couple of months later I was playing Doom at 320x240 on a 586 (100mhz) with 32MB RAM and a 2MB gfx card. The best was still to come. Colin and I finally sorted out how to get our machines networked (no wizards in those days - DOS networking is not fun) and gaming would never be the same. We battled on Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Rise Of the Triads, Hexen etc. At the same time, my 14.4 modem was working overtime, wow, the Internet, it was cool but somehow crap at the same time. Very slow and not much to see, changed days....

These days I could run all my previous computers in little windows of their own and none of them would run slowly or even notice they were not real machines anymore :)

Never was one for the consoles, some had better games than whatever computer I had at the time, but most games were converted and usually had better playability on the comp, especially the speccy. Although I'm still waiting for the PC version of Tekken :roll:

A few years ago, I never have expected to see myself sitting in front of a 19" monitor, with a computer capable of sending men to mars or running a small country :) (a few years ago mabee :/ ) My gfx card is bigger than my biggest ever speccy, thats a bit of a scary thought :eek:

Anonymous
12-Jan-04, 18:28
While you are all feeling very nostalgic, do any of you know of any one who would like a 8bit BBC Master7, pluse printer, moniter, touch pad, and a wee bite of software on 5.2 flopy drive , also a flopy drive that works with the computer. I only want £15, or if you come up with a good sceam i will give it away.
George.
And hurry i think Niall is going to ban we, if so send e-mails to vikingtwo@hotmail.com.