PDA

View Full Version : Slayer

buddyrich
25-Sep-09, 21:40
November in the barrowlands. Yes yes yes. Good year for kwality bands this.

Gizmo
04-Oct-09, 11:50
November in the barrowlands. Yes yes yes. Good year for kwality bands this.

And i'm gutted about it :(

For 23 years, for one reason or another, i have never managed to catch Slayer live, they are one of my all time favourite metal bands, and the only! band that i still really want to see live, and if i don't catch em in the next few years, they are likely to be gone forever into the realms of metal history :(

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-09, 16:08
Seen Slayer loads ay times. One of the best live bands I've ever seen, though have no real desire to see them again. Would it be wrong to say Anthrax are a poor man's Slayer?

Gizmo
04-Oct-09, 17:09
Would it be wrong to say Anthrax are a poor man's Slayer?

Yes yes and yes again, Anthrax are just as good a band, and Scott Ian is one of the best riff men that metal has ever had, their 80's albums are as good as anything Slayer put out, Anthrax have just lost their way due to the revolving door of members over the years, i'm afraid it has been all down hill for Anthrax since 'The Sound Of White Noise', i believe they still have what it takes, they just need to find a bit of stability first. Hopefully they wont muck up this opportunity they have to get John Bush back in the band, as there is no reason why he can't do both Anthrax and Armored Saint.
All we need is a cracking album from Anthrax and that will cement the return to form of the "Big Four", Metallicas Death Magnetic was fantastic, Megadeths new album is nearly as good as their best work, and the two new tracks i've heard from Slayers new album were excellent, not bad work for a bunch of middle aged metal heads :D

buddyrich
05-Oct-09, 10:33
It's a bit harsh. They're much more of a party-thrash band if such a thing could exist. They've also made bad business decisions in the past and are now getting less and less relevant, though i prefer their recent output to mustaines pointless drudgery.

Technically though i think they're a musical match for slayer. Charlie Benante is a fantastic drummer and Scott Ian is THE rhythm geetar player (after james hetfield).

Was never a huge fan of joey belladonna, though the material they put out with him is first class. John Bush was a much better singer and the material was good too. Inside/Out is crushingly heavy.

Jesus, I should be the rock journalist. I could be the next Deaf Barton.

robglysen
06-Oct-09, 14:04
Haven't really listened to much slayer since 'Seasons or anthrax since 'white noise but when slayer slow it down, for me they are as good as anybody. The music seems to breathe.