PDA

View Full Version : Wick regeneration money.

cuddlepop
25-Sep-09, 14:33
This is what the regeneration money will be spent on.

Overview of Applications
Wick:
The project will focus on enhancements to the network of linking pathways that connect the town’s car parks with its shops whilst at the same time improving the visual appearance of those key car parks. Enhancements consist of Caithness slab reinstatement, general surface improvements, signage, lighting and DDA works.

£174k was applied for from the TCRF to complement the £210k allocated in the Planning and Development Capital Programme for 2009/10 and 2010/11

Do residents think thats money well spent?

cuddlepop
26-Sep-09, 09:58
I'm not local but I'll give you my opinion for what its worth.

£384K is a lot of money to be spent on pavements....or have I interpreted this wrong.:confused

The last time we were up there were a fair few empty shops so whats the point enhancing the carpark pavements etc to encourage people to go up to thw town that has few shops.:confused

Surely cutting business rates even in the short term would encourage more shops to open.
Tidying the river walk would vastly improve the appearance of the view you get when you first park your car.

Come on this is a local thread......

katarina
26-Sep-09, 11:01
I think it would be better spent giving a face lift to ther town centre. even the shops that are open look afully run down.

Doolally
26-Sep-09, 11:43
The money needs to be spent tarting up the shops and the shopping areas rather than the car parks and paths.

Car parking facilities in Wick are adequate and although not superb. However, they're not the reason the town centre isn't thriving.

I'm not going to go down the street more because the car park and paths are nicer to look at / walk on!

redeyedtreefrog
26-Sep-09, 14:25
They're spending that much on pavements?

Margaret M.
26-Sep-09, 17:25
Car parks and paths seem fine to me. I vote for sprucing up the shops in Bridge Street and High Street -- some of the shop fronts look utterly depressing.

Bill Fernie
26-Sep-09, 22:21
Just to point out that so far in the first round Wick and Thurso were not successful in the bids put forward for funding. The full listof towns can be found at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/regeneration/town-centres/tcrf

If successful the funding can only be used for thing allowed in the rules for this new fund.

There is second round yet to be announced and applications closed oon 28th August. The first round allocated £40 millionand £20 million is to be announced for the second round. Whilst welcome this is not a huge sum of money when spread around all of Scotland.

The following extract may be helpful

What The Fund Will Support
The Fund aims to support local community and business leaders to make real and lasting improvements to town centres across the whole of Scotland. We will consider all capital activity. This might include for example:

Improving pedestrian or vehicle access to a town centre

Improving parking provision within a town centre

Attracting increased footfall, both by day and by night

Diversification of the mix of services and amenities within a town centre, underpinned by an understanding of the requirements of the local community

Acquisition of gap sites and vacant properties for redevelopment

Streetscape improvements which enhance and improve how a town centre operates, providing these are of sufficient scale and ambition to represent a capital investment

Remediation of vacant or derelict sites within the town centre to fit them for retail, residential, business or recreational use

Purchase of gap sites to allow for use as residential, retail, business or recreation

Remodelling of existing premises to provide a suitable mix and floorplan of retail, business, residential and recreational uses, or to comply with Disability Discrimination Act legislation
We will be looking for evidence that the investment is needed, and that it will contribute to long term strategic improvements to the town centre. Inclusion in local plans and evidence of the support of local partners will be important.

Or read the whole rules etc http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/94257/0080911.pdf

See the TCRF web site at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/regeneration/town-centres/tcrf

I am sure that some businesses would appreciate a fund to help with shop fronts etc but unfortunately this fund will probably not cover any of that. Few funds have ever been brought forward to assist shops as they are considered to be the owners of businesses and expected to look after the asset value of their own property. In difficult trading times there is probably a good case to be made for more help for small traders. There is no sign that such help is to be made available for shops directly on the shop front issue.

It should be noted that the Scottish Government has made some help available via Non Domestic Rates Bonus scheme
See details here - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Government/local-government/17999/11199/Scheme
Extract
From April 1, 2009 many small businesses will pay no rates.
From April 1, 2009 tens of thousands of small businesses will pay no rates at all under the Scottish Government's small business bonus scheme.

You could save up to almost £4,000 a year, depending on your rateable value. An eligible business property will save on average £1400 in 2009-10.

What's the catch?
There isn't one! The Scottish Government wants to help genuinely small businesses, particularly in the current economic climate.

Who qualifies?
You may qualify if you pay non-domestic rates for properties with a combined rateable value of £15,000 or less.

there are examples given and one is as follows -
Example 1: Single property
You have a shop with a rateable value of £4,000. You have no
other business properties in Scotland.
Small Business Bonus relief available = 100%
Rates payable =
Rateable value x (100% - percentage relief) x poundage rate
= £4,000 x 0% x 48.1p = £0

So there has been some help to small businesses and that would include shops if they are in the qualifying range.

Let's hope Wick or Thurso are successful in the second round as even some money no matter how small helps make the place look more attractive.

cuddlepop
27-Sep-09, 10:23
So once again there is money available but only for the right "tick" boxes and not for what really needs it.:roll:

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-09, 11:40
So once again there is money available but only for the right "tick" boxes and not for what really needs it.:roll:

In a nutshell. :D:D

cuddlepop
27-Sep-09, 12:57
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;599788]In a nutshell.

In a nutshell it stinks.[evil] somebody somewhere must still have commensense and want to apply it to local need and not government "agendas".:confused

Come the day of the revolution commrades........;)

teenybash
27-Sep-09, 13:42

You are right Cuddlepop.......I think it is time the rules were changed drastically to allow monies to be spent where it is needed in each individual town or area. Those that deal with these matters need to sit down with an old friend called ''Common Sense'' who appears to be ignored most of the time, much to the detriment of the area.
Some good down to earth people with working brains are needed and less of those with pie in the sky ideas........................Whew, I needed to say that!!!!!....I feel better now thanks.:Razz

cuddlepop
27-Sep-09, 15:19
You are right Cuddlepop.......I think it is time the rules were changed drastically to allow monies to be spent where it is needed in each individual town or area. Those that deal with these matters need to sit down with an old friend called ''Common Sense'' who appears to be ignored most of the time, much to the detriment of the area.
Some good down to earth people with working brains are needed and less of those with pie in the sky ideas........................Whew, I needed to say that!!!!!....I feel better now thanks.:Razz

Glad I could be of assistance now where can we buy "Common Sense" for the powers that be,they seem to require supplements as they're severing lacking in that department.
;)