PDA

View Full Version : Geese flying against the wind.

Rheghead
25-Sep-09, 03:24
This question has been bothering me after a few battles against the wind on my bicycle :lol:

Do geese when they are flying over large expanses of water and into a headwind just keep persevering against the wind or do they sit on the water until the wind changes direction?:confused

It would seem to me that it would be a large waste of energy to keep battling against the wind, just wondering.

NickInTheNorth
25-Sep-09, 05:33
This question has been bothering me after a few battles against the wind on my bicycle :lol:

Do geese when they are flying over large expanses of water and into a headwind just keep persevering against the wind or do they sit on the water until the wind changes direction?:confused

It would seem to me that it would be a large waste of energy to keep battling against the wind, just wondering.

Hi Rheghead

As far as I am aware when geese are migrating they travel with the wind, waiting until the wind is blowing in the right direction. Also they can and do fly at tremendous heights and therefore will avoid some of the surface winds which affect you on your bike.

tonkatojo
25-Sep-09, 11:17

The geese fly with and against the wind, that is my perception, maybe the wind is at a different direction according to the altitude of the birds than what we feel on the ground.

Have you noticed there always seems to be one honking as the go overhead,
that's the one at the rear calling " wait for me ". ;)

nirofo
27-Sep-09, 02:37

It's possible that the birds will fly above the wind, they have been recorded at over 30,000 feet.

nirofo.

Aaldtimer
27-Sep-09, 02:58
That's why they fly in the chevron formation. To conserve energy, and like cyclists in a peleton, swap with the lead bird as they go.:)