PDA

View Full Version : Thurso to Castletown straight

Eagleclaw68
25-Sep-09, 00:57
In the morning between 07:00am to 08:00am and late afternoon between 16:00pm to 17:30pm driving on that stretch of road is taking your life in your hands with the amount of speeding idiots without a care for the fellow road user it being a motorist, cyclists or walkers, these idiots seam to try to intimidate cyclists and walkers off the road just so they can keep the speed up, when there's a tail wind like today from the west idiot drivers heading east seem to put the foot down. I was almost witness to an accident, an arrogant boy racer almost hit a cyclist today around 16:50pm on the Thurso to Castletown straight, the cyclist went in the ditch to avoid being hit, this kind of driving behaviour is unacceptable totally stupid. There one question I want to ask where are the police at the times I listed above, are they in the station supping coffee trying to stay awake or are they just too lazy to stick a patrol car marked or unmarked on Thurso to Castletown straight to book some these idiots to get the message across to Caithness boy racer community and other idiot motorist. The Northern Constabulary will come with the excuse that they are undermanned, can't be every where at once, but some day's every cop car is sitting in the station yard and they could be patrolling Caithness rural roads. I would say Thurso police what's that, you hardly see them policing.

Metalattakk
25-Sep-09, 01:38
There one question I want to ask where are the police at the times I listed above, are they in the station supping coffee trying to stay awake or are they just too lazy to stick a patrol car marked or unmarked on Thurso to Castletown straight to book some these idiots to get the message across to Caithness boy racer community and other idiot motorist. The Northern Constabulary will come with the excuse that they are undermanned, can't be every where at once, but some day's every cop car is sitting in the station yard and they could be patrolling Caithness rural roads. I would say Thurso police what's that, you hardly see them policing.

Mere words alone cannot possibly convey my disbelief at the absolute base-level ignorance and misunderstanding that your preposterous post rant displays.

The rules here say that I can't call you an idiot. Do the rules stop me thinking it, though?

Aaldtimer
25-Sep-09, 03:18
Mere words alone cannot possibly convey my disbelief at the absolute base-level ignorance and misunderstanding that your preposterous post rant displays.

The rules here say that I can't call you an idiot. Do the rules stop me thinking it, though?

I'm a wee bit puzzled at your rather extreme reaction to E68's post about his concern about road safety MA!
As an ex-cyclist, I know exactly what he's talking about.:eek:

twiglet
25-Sep-09, 03:44
I too know what Eagleclaw68 is on about. I have seen some crazy speeding and very risky overtaking on that road and have had several near misses due to other motorists. I also get very annoyed with people that are going too slow this can be more dangerous than people going too fast especially when they go the wrong side of the road to turn off. I now go the back way to castletown if I have time. It's a wee bit more twisty turny and you have to have your wits about you as most of it is single track but if you're the passenger and can enjoy the view it is fantastic.

Metalattakk
25-Sep-09, 03:54
I'm a wee bit puzzled at your rather extreme reaction to E68's post about his concern about road safety MA!
As an ex-cyclist, I know exactly what he's talking about.:eek:

Eh, the complete over-reaction towards, and blame laid at the feet of the Police. Most of his post was a rant against the local Bobbies and not against the shoddy driving standards.

Notice the part of his quote I quoted, and notice the part I didn't. :roll:

Aaldtimer
25-Sep-09, 04:06
Oh, OK MA, point taken, but is he not allowed a point of view which might be justified? I used to notice the police had cars out in the early morning on the Dounreay road a few years ago, and sometimes at the lousin' times in the afternoons. Does this not happen any more?:confused

upolian
25-Sep-09, 07:59
i do think this 'boyracer' brand is a bit silly,i see high powered cars with 30+ year olds driving just as dangerously as any young folk.

a few weeks back my friend was going to thurso...infront was a tractor with a car behind it,my friend waits patiently until there is a clear bit of road...indicator on almost mid passing and the silly ... in front decides to pull out(never heard of using mirrors and checking blindspot)clearly not.....if that wasnt bad enough the irate woman decided she was in the right and began to tailgate my friend.......

all in all its not all about young lads n lasses driving erratic all age groups do it!

also yes that road is extremely bad due to the nice long straight stretch

Cattach
25-Sep-09, 08:07
i do think this 'boyracer' brand is a bit silly,i see high powered cars with 30+ year olds driving just as dangerously as any young folk.

a few weeks back my friend was going to thurso...infront was a tractor with a car behind it,my friend waits patiently until there is a clear bit of road...indicator on almost mid passing and the silly ... in front decides to pull out(never heard of using mirrors and checking blindspot)clearly not.....if that wasnt bad enough the irate woman decided she was in the right and began to tailgate my friend.......

all in all its not all about young lads n lasses driving erratic all age groups do it!

also yes that road is extremely bad due to the nice long straight stretch

You are correct to say it is not just 'boy racers' that cause the problem. There are a few older drivers too and, of course, 'girl racers'. But just walking around town or driving in the country I can clearly see that the vast majority are young drivers and generally in their late teens. The insurance companies, like bookies, are seldom wrong and they charge young drivers an 'arm and a leg' for cover because the statistics show them to be the biggest risks and biggest offenders.

dragonfly
25-Sep-09, 08:10
yes there are idiots out there on the roads however you state "you were almost witness to an accident" - if this "boy racers" driving was as dangerous as you say, did you not report it to the police yourself? maybe then they may take action

Bazeye
25-Sep-09, 08:39
In all honesty I dont think its the Polices fault. If youve read the book "Wasting Police Time" by P.C. David Copperfield youd understand why.

fairy56
25-Sep-09, 10:04
I agree with a few of you,the police have lot more till do than just watch people that use the roads like crazy,on that note i can say not only cars at fault so are cyclists,as my friend got put of her bike by a cyclists,it not only boy racers you have to watch,also cyclists,as for police what about other incidents that they would be busy with,they cant be at all places unless you report it to them.

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 10:18
Perhaps if some of our local heroes would stop fighting, stealing, vandalising, smuggling drugs and being drunk and incapable, the Polis would have time to deal with speeding and bad driving. Or how about some parents start supervising their horrible children properly?
The Polis are few and far between, and rely on us to play the game. It's not them who cause the problems, it's the citizens of our County.

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 10:27
I used to notice the police had cars out in the early morning on the Dounreay road a few years ago, and sometimes at the lousin' times in the afternoons. Does this not happen any more?:confused
If it did happen, people on this forum would be outraged and ask why they were persecuting the poor drivers and not catching thieves or vandals!:roll:

Bazeye
25-Sep-09, 16:55
If it did happen, people on this forum would be outraged and ask why they were persecuting the poor drivers and not catching thieves or vandals!:roll:

And when would they have time to complete all their paperwork?

Rheghead
25-Sep-09, 20:06
If there is an inverse relationship between the level of crime and the number of police on the streets, at what point do we say the level of crime is considered ok before it costs us too much or we feel we are living in a police state etc?:confused

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 20:12
...at what point do we say the level of crime is considered ok before it costs us too much or we feel we are living in a police state etc?:confused
Probably right up the point where one of our own family is thumped in the street by a regular offender, or hurt in an accident caused by a beanie-hatted erse in a Saxo. Then our tune would change.
I don't understand your bit about the inverse relationship though. Probably cos I'm dense.

Rheghead
25-Sep-09, 20:17
Probably right up the point where one of our own family is thumped in the street by a regular offender, or hurt in an accident caused by a beanie-hatted erse in a Saxo. Then our tune would change.

So, can a budget-holder use that emotive scenario to help them quantify the level of policing on our streets? If not then is it inappropriate that victims shouldn't have a say in funding of law and order etc? :confused

An inverse relationship suggests that if you double the police presence then you half the crime.

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 21:37
So, can a budget-holder use that emotive scenario to help them quantify the level of policing on our streets?
There will always be someone getting bashed on the head. I suppose you inevitably arrive at a point where it isn't possible to reduce the amount of crime any further regardless of how many policemen there are. Remember, it's not just about policemen on the street though, there should be crime prevention measures as well.
If not then is it inappropriate that victims shouldn't have a say in funding of law and order etc? :confused
I don't agree, I'd say it was more appropriate that victims HAD a say in the funding of law & order. They technically do, through local & National elections, representative Police Boards. Probably. A bit iffy though, as a high-profile crime with a big media campaign often sees funding dragged to a deserving cause, but away from another equally deserving cause.
An inverse relationship suggests that if you double the police presence then you half the crime.
That's a nice thought. You hold on to that.

Rheghead
25-Sep-09, 22:33
That's a nice thought. You hold on to that.

If an inverse relationship doesn't hold true between crime and police presence then it suggests that it maybe folly to put police on the streets in the first place if we are not going to see reductions in crime for our money.

Let's say a police officer's cost to the taxpayer is £50,000 and that is what is cut from the policing budget for next year, are we going to see more than £50,000 worth of 'crime' committed next year or less or is it a gamble worth paying for?

It is like an extended warranty on an electronic item, is the warranty going to cost you more than what it is worth either in financial terms or peace of mind?

And what is really burning my curiosity is now that Reay probably has the most visible police presence in the UK, has crime/traffic offences been reduced visibly from previous years before all these patrols kicked off? :eek::lol:

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 23:40
You've lost me. Anyway, back to my point. If the local idiots (thieves, druggies, drunks et al) were to give up their criminal careers, the police could deal with the fools who drive badly on the Castletown road.
Perhaps the heavy police presence could be deployed elsewhere now that the Reay crims have been rounded up and dealt with?

Tubthumper
25-Sep-09, 23:42
If an inverse relationship doesn't hold true between crime and police presence then it suggests that it maybe folly to put police on the streets in the first place if we are not going to see reductions in crime for our money.
Is that logic? I only ask because my education is a bit limited, I never made it past Dick & Dora.

Leanne
26-Sep-09, 00:35
I hate cyclist that ride their bikes side by side - it is contrary to the highway code. Only horseriders are allowed to do this - and even horseriders are polite enough to go into singlefile if safe to do so (not if the tandem is to protect a youngster). Bikers that I come across just seem to be oblivious and rude. A biker today rode in the middle of a single track for 4 miles and refused to pull over to let us past. Fortunately at the next junction they went left and we went right - it was just so so rude!

sam
26-Sep-09, 09:45
- Bikers that I come across just seem to be oblivious and rude. A biker today rode in the middle of a single track for 4 miles and refused to pull over to let us past. Fortunately at the next junction they went left and we went right - it was just so so rude!

The reason they ride in the middle of the single track roads is to stop people trying to over take them, when there clearly isnt enough room, they have as much right to the road as a car user & i see no reason why they should have to pull over for a car, especially when there are so many car drivers who are oblivious to the bikers.[disgust]

Leanne
26-Sep-09, 11:15
The reason they ride in the middle of the single track roads is to stop people trying to over take them, when there clearly isnt enough room, they have as much right to the road as a car user & i see no reason why they should have to pull over for a car, especially when there are so many car drivers who are oblivious to the bikers.[disgust]

There were plenty of passing places. Tractors pull over to let you pass, as do horseriders as they are aware of the obstruction they are causing. Cyclists don't seem to have this polite attitude - they seem to live by the "we have as much right as anyone else" attitude. Yes they do have as much right to be there as anyone else, but they also have as much opportunity as anyone else to be courteous.

Bikers - do you not feel bad when you have a queue of traffic backed up behind you? As a horserider I would hate for people to tar me with the "rude" brush - I always pull over into a passing place when it is safe to do so. It's much easier to do it on a bike - so why don't you? Not aimed at all bikers - just the rude one in question yesterday (and all the others that I have come across that were like minded)

Edit - yesterday I was stuck behind the cyclist for 4 miles. In all of those 4 miles he didn't pull into a passing place to allow an oncoming car to pass. With the law of averages you would expect it to be 50:50 not 100:0...

sam
26-Sep-09, 11:34
There were plenty of passing places. Tractors pull over to let you pass, as do horseriders as they are aware of the obstruction they are causing. Cyclists don't seem to have this polite attitude - they seem to live by the "we have as much right as anyone else" attitude. Yes they do have as much right to be there as anyone else, but they also have as much opportunity as anyone else to be courteous.

Bikers - do you not feel bad when you have a queue of traffic backed up behind you? As a horserider I would hate for people to tar me with the "rude" brush - I always pull over into a passing place when it is safe to do so. It's much easier to do it on a bike - so why don't you? Not aimed at all bikers - just the rude one in question yesterday (and all the others that I have come across that were like minded)

Edit - yesterday I was stuck behind the cyclist for 4 miles. In all of those 4 miles he didn't pull into a passing place to allow an oncoming car to pass. With the law of averages you would expect it to be 50:50 not 100:0...

There is a difference between a cyclist & a biker lol & I am referring to the bikers ( motorcycles ) as you said a biker & not a cyclist.

I was travelling south last week and was held up for miles behind a car that thought it was ok to go between 20 & 30 miles and hour then when i did try to overtake they wandered right across the road in front of me as they were busy looking out of their drivers window, luckily i got stopped in time, so before you critasize others just remember its not just certain road users that are a problem.

Thumper
26-Sep-09, 11:46
I drive this road regularly and I must admit I have come across my fair share of idiots on it,everyone seems to think its fine to overtake even in the no overtaking zones and the 50MPH is laughable!Nobody is perfect on the roads and I am sure we have all done something daft at some time or other but this road is down right dangerous at times! It used to be policed quite regularly but I havent seen any police on it in a long time! The other day I was behind a wee farm truck and it had a trailer on it with wood hanging well over the back of it and he decided to try overtaking a bus-three times!Not put off with almost going head on into other traffic he kept trying until he managed it at the top of claredon :eek: even my nine year old son said "what an idiot" ! If policing is not an option perhaps they should consider cctv on this stretch? x

Rheghead
26-Sep-09, 15:31
[/SIZE]

I've never seen this. Of course we have no way to verify your story.:roll:

David Banks
26-Sep-09, 15:47
This is not a new problem, and multiple responses are needed.

First, I've noticed an increase in agressive women drivers, not a majority, but noteworthy, so we need to get thru to both young men and women.

It starts with education in the home and schools. Speeding needs to have the same profile as drunk driving - they both kill and maim. Even go for roadside billboard advertising, radio and TV.

It will also take police work, and additional graded speed restrictions on new drivers.

I believe there should also be vehicle modification restrictions, so that they cannot be modified to sound and/or perform at higher speeds than the original design.

It would have taken such a wide approach to ever have got thru my thick teenage skull.

tonkatojo
26-Sep-09, 17:17
I've never seen this. Of course we have no way to verify your story.:roll:

I have umpteen times the scrote had ear plugs in, no doubt listening to music.:( They cannot hear you tooting to make them aware.

Boozeburglar
26-Sep-09, 20:56

I don't think the insurance companies really allow prejudicial attitudes to enter the profit equation.

M R
26-Sep-09, 22:00
I believe there should also be vehicle modification restrictions, so that they cannot be modified to sound and/or perform at higher speeds than the original design.

Well bang goes alot of peoples hobbies, including all ages.

What drivell

Rheghead
26-Sep-09, 22:27
I have umpteen times the scrote had ear plugs in, no doubt listening to music.:( They cannot hear you tooting to make them aware.

It is difficult to hear anything behind in a head wind while cycling until the thing is right on your tail. But really, for four miles?:roll: Do you really think any driver would allow themselves to crawl behind a cyclist for about 20 minutes? Especially when every cyclist that I know (and I know a lot) would hate a car driver to stay behind them for that amount of distance. C'mon, be truthful.

gleeber
26-Sep-09, 23:18
To be Honest, I find this road one of the safest in caithness. The 50mph limit at Murkle fair slows them down.
It's the Halkirk road at the same time in the morning that I find particularly dangerous.
I would find it difficult to cycle on any main road anywhere. :eek:

Jeid
27-Sep-09, 10:08
The amusing thing about this thread is, that there's probably several roads in Caithness alone that "need to be policed more", but it ain't gonna happen. The police do get out on the road, I see them a lot as I drive a lot. There's a lot of road to cover in the county so they do what they can, when they can. The police simply can't be on one road at one time every day.

Cyclists can be frustrating at times, but no more frustrating than people who drive at 40mph on a 60mph road or people who tailgate for miles.

Scorpio12thNov
27-Sep-09, 10:21
Cyclists can be frustrating at times, but no more frustrating than people who drive at 40mph on a 60mph road or people who tailgate for miles.

Yes indeed there is nothing more frustrating than people crawling at 40mph on a 60mph limit. It frustrates other drivers, especially when there's a tail back, who then wrecklessly overtake which could lead to accidents.

Why do certain drivers drive at this "snail" moving pace? Especially when you're driving home![evil]

tonkatojo
27-Sep-09, 11:02
It is difficult to hear anything behind in a head wind while cycling until the thing is right on your tail. But really, for four miles?:roll: Do you really think any driver would allow themselves to crawl behind a cyclist for about 20 minutes? Especially when every cyclist that I know (and I know a lot) would hate a car driver to stay behind them for that amount of distance. C'mon, be truthful.

Are you calling me a liar ?.

Leanne
27-Sep-09, 11:40
Are you calling me a liar ?.

lol I think that was aimed at me. I sat patiently behind the cyclist for 4 miles - it wasn't safe to pass. The cyclist had a disregard for passing places. The wind does make a racket in your ears - I know this from horseriding, but as a polite horserider I make sure I glance back behind every now and again to check I'm not blocking the traffic :roll:

tonkatojo
27-Sep-09, 11:50
lol I think that was aimed at me. I sat patiently behind the cyclist for 4 miles - it wasn't safe to pass. The cyclist had a disregard for passing places. The wind does make a racket in your ears - I know this from horseriding, but as a polite horserider I make sure I glance back behind every now and again to check I'm not blocking the traffic :roll:

Well I have sat impatiently behind them from Lyth crossroads to Brabster, both ways, as I said with earplugs in their lugs, the wind had nowt to do with it. once it occurred, but I think they were foreign tourists with out the ear plugs, I presumed they didn't know what a passing place was for.

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 11:52
One of the most dangerous aspects of the Thurso - Castletown straight is that fermer in the Suzuki jeep who does 25mph regardless. Arm out the window, no cares in the world, no consideration for others.
Of course, he's perfectly within his rights, but he still drives me nuts!

tonkatojo
27-Sep-09, 11:57
One of the most dangerous aspects of the Thurso - Castletown straight is that fermer in the Suzuki jeep who does 25mph regardless. Arm out the window, no cares in the world, no consideration for others.

I think that bloke knows exactly what he does to you and others, he doesn't give a toss, and he knows it annoys, its his idea of humour. poor soul. ;)

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 11:59
...poor soul. ;)

I wouldn't call him a 'poor'-sole. Something similar perhaps?:Razz

tonkatojo
27-Sep-09, 12:04
I wouldn't call him a 'poor'-sole. Something similar perhaps?:Razz

I know what you mean, I was being polite. ;) I meant soul, not the fish or the part of a shoe. LOL.

Leanne
27-Sep-09, 12:08

I've come across him too - is it the L reg one that is always shiny??? Hard to believe a farmer has that car though - mayebe there are two of them!!!!

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 12:11
That's him! I think he keeps it clean just so you can see his indicators, very unlike a farmer?

Jeid
27-Sep-09, 12:54
He indicates? Shocking.

I know the guy you're on about. 25mph ftl! :(

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 18:50
Going from Thurso, once he gets past the no-overtaking bit he often swings right over the road to turn right. Bad news if you're trying to overtake. Seriously though, some of the clowns who speed on that road deserve to be banned. I bet some of them post on here, do you think they'll admit to being poor drivers?

dietcokegirl
28-Sep-09, 12:39
Going from Thurso, once he gets past the no-overtaking bit he often swings right over the road to turn right. Bad news if you're trying to overtake. Seriously though, some of the clowns who speed on that road deserve to be banned. I bet some of them post on here, do you think they'll admit to being poor drivers?

I know exactly who your on about - I usually meet him every day on my way home from work. He swings over to the other side of the road before turning in - it's unbelievable that he's not caused an accident!

The Oracle
28-Sep-09, 14:56
On Friday morning I was driving past Thurso High School towards the College when I saw a Combine Harvester coming towards me, with a long queue of cars behind it.

Because it was so large and moving about a bit I pulled over as far as I could to let it past.

The driver seemed more interested in his mobile phone call than how he was driving !!!!!

A few days before, I was stopped at the junction at Glengolly, waiting to turn right towards Thurso. The driver of a large 4x4 coming from the Reay direction casually turned towards Halkirk and never took her mobile down from her ear !!!!!

The number of people driving whilst using mobiles seems much more common these days and I believe it is just as dangerous as driving too fast !