PDA

View Full Version : Flock of birds at Scrabster

snow
24-Sep-09, 23:19
Hi all,

The last two days I've taken a walk along the seafront behind the houses as you leave Scrabster harbour. Today and yesterday I saw an absolutely gorgeous flock of birds, that I think are finches, I'd guess around 70 of them. They had a very instense yellow patch on their wings surrounded by black and when they flew off you could see more yellow.
If you're at all near by I'd recommend taking a walk and having a look - the colour on them is magnificent!

But after doing the RSPB bird id online I think the ones I saw up close might be female goldfinches, but it says they don't come this far north? The only other one I saw close were the greenfinches - but the pictures didn't show any black on them at all?

If anyone could shed some light on what they are, I'd much appreciate it!
And I think I'll walk back along there tomorrow to try catch another glimpse :)
Sarah

kas
25-Sep-09, 18:37
The book is only about fifteen to twenty years out of date. You are right with Goldfinch. I live on the way down to Scrabster and get them round our house the whole time as there are some big flocks around now that the breeding season is over. We had fledgings just out the nest in our garden this year so they are breeding nearby too.

snow
26-Sep-09, 12:18
Thanks very much Kas! What a pleasure it must be to have such beautiful birds in your garden! :)

Sarah

dragonfly
26-Sep-09, 12:37
there are loads nesting down at Thurso riverside and they are regular feeders in my garden, beautiful birds :D