PDA

View Full Version : A whole lotta juice!!!

craigmancie
24-Sep-09, 15:11
I was just wondering do any of you out there have kids who become hyperactive from drinking Juice?
My son is Autistic and has dietary probs, so we went to see a dietician after many questions & answers i got onto explaining that his behaviour may change after certain drink/foodstuffs. The dietician went onto explain it can be caused by an additive to juice called !ASPARTAME!.
After seeking out this additive and eradicating it from his diet and that of my 2yr old daughter, i have noticed big changes in both of their behavior!
This is not of course the case for every child but certainly made a difference to mine!
Now onto how i can spend ages in the supermarket trying to find a juice that does not contain aspartame!!aarrghh!!:mad:
Practially all of them, no joke. Only the more expensive/natural made brands do not have it. Not that i mind having to pay a bit extra for their health, but for the amount they both consume by the end of the week it can be quite costly.
Next time ur out shopping and u see someone hangin bout the juice it'll most likely be me!! :D

Kodiak
24-Sep-09, 15:17
Aspartame, I avoid it like a Plague. :-

http://dorway.com/dorwblog/aspartame-one-mans-poison-another-mans-profit/

emszxr
24-Sep-09, 15:20
i dont let my kids have it either. i usually buy high juice with the sugar as all the no added sugar ones have it in.
i am sure its banned in some coutries.

joxville
24-Sep-09, 15:23
I never drink anything with Aspartame in it, it's a derivitive of Phenilalanine, of which more info here: http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.html

craigmancie
24-Sep-09, 15:31
Thats a great link joxville. It really lets people know just how dangerous it is.
i am suprised schools/healthvisitors are not making parents aware, if it wasn't for the dietician i am sure i would still be using these juices none the wiser. no other person has ever warned me of the side affects!!

changilass
24-Sep-09, 15:39
The wee man only gets fresh juice, milk or water so should be safe.

Margaret M.
24-Sep-09, 15:53
Donald Rumsfield was very instrumental in getting the poison named aspartame rammed through the approval process. I bet you will not find one product that contains aspartame in his pantry.

The key to good health lies in what we consume. So many ailments could be cured by making a change in the diet but too many would rather pop a pill than take the time to examine and adjust their diet and lifestyle.

Water is a good, cheap alternative to juice.

twiglet
24-Sep-09, 16:13
My daughter has had reactions to various juices and high juice is a big no no. She's mainly allergic to orange colouring and seems to be growing out of it as she gets older like my brother did.

toodiemac
24-Sep-09, 16:46
I have never let my children have anything with Aspartame in it - I just wouldn't buy it. I avoid it myself too - can't understand why anybody would consume it when there are alternatives available. It's not just the immediate effect on behaviour that worries me - lots of children don't seem to react - but more the long term health effects.

Can't really avoid it at parties and other people's houses though :(

maverick
24-Sep-09, 19:28
I found that if I gave the next door neighbours kid's some of that sunny delight laced with red bull, they would go a bit loopy. I never had a problem with the stuff myself, but then again I used to dilute my red bull with voddy. Of course the posh tosh would give their kids champagne and red bull, I think that the kid's did about 20 miles to the glass full..

Dreamweaver
24-Sep-09, 19:39
Health Visitors always tell you that kids only need milk or water - trouble is lots of parents and grandparents think its being mean not to let them have diluting juice or sweeties

Vistravi
24-Sep-09, 19:43
Aspartame is banned from other countries so why not here? It is so bad for kids and adults alike especially kids.

craigmancie
24-Sep-09, 21:04
I understand that healthvisitors only advise to give milk & water, but some children may refuse point blank to take either of these. Same as u wouldn't eat something if u didn't like it.
I dont think it's being mean trying to keep ur kids healthy, but with my son being Autistic he suffers with dietary probs. A dairy allergy for one and the autism makes it difficult for him to eat/drink some things due to taste, texture, colour, smell etc...
I would love to be able to give him just water, but doubt thats gonna happen any time soon.

Vistravi
24-Sep-09, 22:38
I understand that healthvisitors only advise to give milk & water, but some children may refuse point blank to take either of these. Same as u wouldn't eat something if u didn't like it.
I dont think it's being mean trying to keep ur kids healthy, but with my son being Autistic he suffers with dietary probs. A dairy allergy for one and the autism makes it difficult for him to eat/drink some things due to taste, texture, colour, smell etc...
I would love to be able to give him just water, but doubt thats gonna happen any time soon.

You just have to do what is right for your son.

I work with children so know what you mean about milk and water and kids refusing both sometimes. I'm afraid they just get told that is all we have and after a while of being told this they soon think twice about not drinking.

You have your work cut out due to the dificulties he faces and his dairy allergy. i can tel you're doing the job grand as your concern about what he is drinking shows.

Just go with your gut instict when it comes to your son.

Kathy@watten
24-Sep-09, 22:39
Has anyonelse got a problem with calpol and ibroprofen for kids, If I give it to mine they go absolutely nuts, like they are possessed!

Loraine
24-Sep-09, 22:47
Has anyonelse got a problem with calpol and ibroprofen for kids, If I give it to mine they go absolutely nuts, like they are possessed!

Yes my kids are the same!! :lol:

toodiemac
24-Sep-09, 23:00
Oh Calpol etc it awful stuff - it has e-numbers in it which are banned in other countries and which are not recommended for consumption by children in this country! I think it's scandalous that we are expected to give this to our children yet it's not good enough for the children in other countries. Calpol seems to be worse than the chemist own-brands and some of the e-numbers in it are contra-indicated for asthmatics, as well as being linked to hyperactivity and skin disorders.

I don't think it's possible to get children's paracetamol in Britain without the nasties in it, though obviously it is made for other countries. The best one we have found so far is Medinol. It's not perfect but seems to suit our kids much better than any of the rest.

George Brims
25-Sep-09, 02:12
Aspartame is banned from other countries so why not here? It is so bad for kids and adults alike especially kids.
What countries? It's in the diet coke everywhere I've been.

Aspartame is only dangerous to those with phenylketonuria, who can't deal with the phenylalanine (which is also present in bananas and tons of other natural sources).

George Brims
25-Sep-09, 02:18
Oh Calpol etc it awful stuff - it has e-numbers in it which are banned in other countries and which are not recommended for consumption by children in this country! I think it's scandalous that we are expected to give this to our children yet it's not good enough for the children in other countries. Calpol seems to be worse than the chemist own-brands and some of the e-numbers in it are contra-indicated for asthmatics, as well as being linked to hyperactivity and skin disorders.

I don't think it's possible to get children's paracetamol in Britain without the nasties in it, though obviously it is made for other countries. The best one we have found so far is Medinol. It's not perfect but seems to suit our kids much better than any of the rest.

Oh no we're back to the E-numbers fallacy again! All an E number means is that the substance is on a list of substances approved for use in food and drugs, mostly colourings, preservatives, or flavours. The E list replaces older lists (remember when things used to say "B.P." or "B.S.P" after the name?). The E numbers very conveniently give you a way to look up the names of every one of them listed on the ingredients panel on the packet or bottle. If you do that then go to a non-European country you will find most of the same things except listed by chemical name or trade name.

Metalattakk
25-Sep-09, 02:31
What countries? It's in the diet coke everywhere I've been.

Aspartame is only dangerous to those with phenylketonuria, who can't deal with the phenylalanine (which is also present in bananas and tons of other natural sources).

Oh no we're back to the E-numbers fallacy again! All an E number means is that the substance is on a list of substances approved for use in food and drugs, mostly colourings, preservatives, or flavours. The E list replaces older lists (remember when things used to say "B.P." or "B.S.P" after the name?). The E numbers very conveniently give you a way to look up the names of every one of them listed on the ingredients panel on the packet or bottle. If you do that then go to a non-European country you will find most of the same things except listed by chemical name or trade name.

Now now George, there's no need for you to jump in with factual arguments when there's a full-scale ill-informed knee-jerk reaction going on.

For shame George, for shame. You've made baby Jebus cry.