PDA

View Full Version : Scepticism/Critical Thinking

redeyedtreefrog
23-Sep-09, 20:34
Anybody here consider themselves a sceptic or critical thinker? I've always been interested in science, and about a year ago I was looking through podcasts on iTunes and i came across the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, which introduced me into the world of scepticism and being critical of evidence and thinking about things. Just wondering if anyone here thought the same way?

joxville
23-Sep-09, 20:47
I'm sceptical about your reason for starting this thread. :eek: ;)

Metalattakk
23-Sep-09, 21:29
I was once described as the most sceptical man in the world, but you know, I'm not sure that's strictly true.

Rheghead
23-Sep-09, 22:22
Scepticism is fine so long as you can use reason to temper it.

Kevin Milkins
24-Sep-09, 00:18
The older I get, the more sceptical I get and it's even beginning to annoy myself now.:mad:

When filling out forms on the internet, ie (insuarance quote) I use an hotmail account for my email and give a second phone line that we have with BT Vision as the phone number, just so I can see who's selling on my details.:eek:

Moira
24-Sep-09, 00:38
Anybody here consider themselves a sceptic or critical thinker? .........

I have serious doubts about your signature. I've copied it here just in case you decide to change it which would negate the point of my post.

"You grew on me like a tumour, and you spread through me like malignant melanoma... "

David Banks
24-Sep-09, 01:44
Good question redeyedtreefrog.
A couple of years ago I made the effort to find out what the 'state of the art' was in terms of critical thinking.
I would not go as far as saying that I am a critical thinker, as mental gymnastics can sometimes lead to mishaps.
My journey started with a series of academic lectures on the New Testament (to clear out some of the deadwood). Next came lectures (60 of them) on the great ideas of philosophy, then lectures on the philosophy of religion; then great world religions.
I also read a couple of books by Sam Harris, and watched the Science Network's 2008 conversations "Beyond Belief: Candles in the Dark."
Talking with friends has aided the search.
So far, it has been an interesting journey, and one I can highly recommend. I doubt the journey will end in some great enlightment, but the added light from time to time is good.

joxville
24-Sep-09, 05:44
Good question redeyedtreefrog.
A couple of years ago I made the effort to find out what the 'state of the art' was in terms of critical thinking.
I would not go as far as saying that I am a critical thinker, as mental gymnastics can sometimes lead to mishaps.
My journey started with a series of academic lectures on the New Testament (to clear out some of the deadwood). Next came lectures (60 of them) on the great ideas of philosophy, then lectures on the philosophy of religion; then great world religions.
I also read a couple of books by Sam Harris, and watched the Science Network's 2008 conversations "Beyond Belief: Candles in the Dark."
Talking with friends has aided the search.
So far, it has been an interesting journey, and one I can highly recommend. I doubt the journey will end in some great enlightment, but the added light from time to time is good.

:eek:

I think I'll stick to Nelson DeMille et al, if you don't mind.

Tubthumper
24-Sep-09, 08:48
I wouldn't call myself a thinker. The few neurons I have left bang into each other now and again sparking some kind of movement in my head, but I don't think it's thought.
My sceptic tank was cleaned out about six months ago. It was full of nasty stuff.

redeyedtreefrog
24-Sep-09, 16:00
I have serious doubts about your signature. I've copied it here just in case you decide to change it which would negate the point of my post.

"You grew on me like a tumour, and you spread through me like malignant melanoma... "

It's a Tim Minchin song (I know I've been quoting him a lot recently). I would post the link to it on youTube it it would probably result in an infraction. The song is about how some people have love at first sight, but sometimes love creeps up on you and grows and takes you by surprise. Just go to Youtube and search "You Grew On Me Tim Minchin" and it should come up. I just thought it was quite funny.

Moira
25-Sep-09, 20:51
Thanks for the explanation which only reinforces my doubts about your signature. I found it sick when I first read it and I still find it sick - each to their own I guess.

Never mind, maybe my reply will revive the interest in your original post which seems to have died.

joxville
25-Sep-09, 22:57
Anybody here consider themselves a sceptic or critical thinker? I've always been interested in science, and about a year ago I was looking through podcasts on iTunes and i came across the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, which introduced me into the world of scepticism and being critical of evidence and thinking about things. Just wondering if anyone here thought the same way?

There's more important things to think about. Things such as how do we deal with the immigration problem? Will Gordon Brown resign as PM? And most important, what will tomorrow's pizza topping be? ;)

Vistravi
26-Sep-09, 14:28
The older I get, the more sceptical I get and it's even beginning to annoy myself now.:mad:

When filling out forms on the internet, ie (insuarance quote) I use an hotmail account for my email and give a second phone line that we have with BT Vision as the phone number, just so I can see who's selling on my details.

:lol:

I'm finding the same and i'm only 21 lol.

I'm a cynic and can be quite sceptical about things mainly people's motives. But i know the reason behind it. ;)

ywindythesecond
26-Sep-09, 22:57
Eh.. Who told you that Reggy?

gleeber
26-Sep-09, 23:07
Aye, who told you that? :eek:

Rheghead
26-Sep-09, 23:18
Eh.. Who told you that Reggy?

Scepticism without reason is just being in denial. It is just commonsense.:lol:

gleeber
26-Sep-09, 23:20
What about instinct? :eek:

crayola
27-Sep-09, 00:37
What about instinct? :eek:
What about it? What are you getting at?

Stavro
27-Sep-09, 01:14
My sceptic tank was cleaned out about six months ago. It was full of nasty stuff.

Was it really cleaned out?

Do you have the receipt to prove that it was cleaned out?

Was it really full of nasty stuff?

How do you know that it was nasty?

How are you defining 'nasty'?

Perhaps a poem is in order?

Kenn
27-Sep-09, 08:19
Did n't you know I wrote the book under a pseudonym?

gleeber
27-Sep-09, 09:52
What about it? What are you getting at?
Instinct Crayola? It's an innate pattern of human behaviour that tells me when things are just not quite right. They also tell me when things are right. I'm sure you know what I mean.
I can feel sceptic about something instantly without reasoning why. Maybe afterwards I will do what most humans do and try to reason my stance but that doesnt alter the fact that my scepticism came from instinct and not reason.
The Bible for example. Reason tells me it is the work of man trying to understand his world and using words to do it. Bible believers believe the Bible is inspired by God who breathed the words into man. Sometimes though they will doubts about the authority of the Bible. I believe that is their instincts but rather than listen to them they will revert to the words. That's faith.
I took an opposite road when I had doubts. I had faith in the doubts. Thats what I call instinct. Reason may come later but it is more important for me to have had the instinct than to define it.
Mind you, I wouldnt push that idea on anyone else unlike those of you who have reasoned reason up the neck and beyond. Rheghead even has the neck to suggest than unless someone can convince him about something using reason and presumably words they are in denial. What utter egoism.
I'm in no way knocking reason, rather I am defending instinct.

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 12:10
:lol: Perhaps a poem is in order?
I wonder at your motives for
Suggestion such as this
Do you desire some prose from me?
Or do you take themiss?

There has to be some inspiration
Straight demand won't do
I drained out all the sludge and clag
Is that enough for you?

Those nasty sceptic things in head
Like skid marks round the back
Unseen but cause discomfort and
Prevent straightforward craic

My Sunday morning time is great
Kick back and just relax
Don't need a post from you that asks
For nonsense pitched as facts

Stavro
27-Sep-09, 13:17
I wonder at your motives for
Suggestion such as this
Do you desire some prose from me?
Or do you take themiss?

There has to be some inspiration
Straight demand won't do
I drained out all the sludge and clag
Is that enough for you?

Those nasty sceptic things in head
Like skid marks round the back
Unseen but cause discomfort and
Prevent straightforward craic

My Sunday morning time is great
Kick back and just relax
Don't need a post from you that asks
For nonsense pitched as facts

'Tis my own fault, I suppose,
For taking such a tack,
But whatever in the world of prose
Are "skid marks round the back"?

Leanne
27-Sep-09, 13:30
And most important, what will tomorrow's pizza topping be? ;)

Oh its chicken tikka at Dominos - how I miss dominos takeaway! The last special was a hoy sin base sauce with crispy duck and mange tout. Now its tikka sauce with tikka chicken mmmmm delish!

Tubthumper
27-Sep-09, 13:36
'Tis my own fault, I suppose,
For taking such a tack,
But whatever in the world of prose
Are "skid marks round the back"?
If pers'nal hygiene is neglected
Sometimes there's a quandary
One's undergarments suffer stain
And need to go in laundry

When one lets rip so regular
A trump of note and violent
It's men who suffer most of all
The ladies keep it silent

The skid-marked pants are metaphor
For brain that's stained with doubt
One should clear out one's head quite oft
And poisonous thoughts cast out

Keep positive in mind all times
And launder thoughts like pants
Don't let the bad things drag you down
And give the craic a chance

If baggy, g-string, y-front, boxer
Shorts or tiny thong
Your brain's the thing that keeps you sane
So smile, you won't go wrong

Leanne
27-Sep-09, 13:49
Tubthumper that's the best one yet! Someone should correlate them all and give you your very own thread :)