PDA

View Full Version : Is this juniper?

simonH
23-Sep-09, 19:48
Hi,

Can anyone identify this? It is growing among heather, and is low growing with long prostrate stems.

Thanks,

Simon

Skifter
23-Sep-09, 22:10
It looks a bit like Crowberry to me but i'm not 100% sure.

Aaldtimer
24-Sep-09, 20:47
I think Skifter has cracked it!:)

simonH
24-Sep-09, 22:24
After looking at photos of crowberry I'm sure skifter is right.
Thanks for the accurate help

Simon

kimmie
15-Oct-09, 16:19
After looking at photos of crowberry I'm sure skifter is right.
Thanks for the accurate help

Simon

yes its definatly CrowBerry...if your finding that, you should also see CowBerry, they are usually growing in the same area as each other, as does the Blaeberry, but that is over now :(

Bill Fernie
16-Oct-09, 07:22
See this photo of Juniper
http://www.caithness.org/nature/biodiversitycollection/photogallery/index.php?gallery=1&image=47
There are different forms of Juniper and this photo is the taller one.

Caithness Field Club has beeen interested in Juniper for many years and conducted surveys. See the latest on at
http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/2008/juniper_survey_project_2007.htm

J T Calder mentions Juniper in his History of Caithness at Chapter One in this paragraph
“But the most remarkable evidence of ancient woods in Caithness, “ says the author of the New Statistical Account of Wick, “ is found in the Bay of Keiss. Between the links and the sand, and running down under the sea, are found the remains of a submarine forest. These are, like peat-moss, entirely composed of decayed wood. The barks of various kinds of trees are quite discernible, and even the seeds of birch and ash are so well preserved as to appear but lately taken from the tree”. But if Caithness is destitute of trees nature has liberally supplied it with plants and flowers; and in this respect, it offers a highly interesting field to the botanist. The native flowering plants and ferns enumerated amount to about 420. In the moors, and along the hill-sides, which are covered with the finest heather, you find, in their proper season, the bilberry, the cranberry, and the barberry. The Scotch myrtle, thyme, woodbine and juniper, are also to be met with in several places. White and red clovers are indigenous. The different species of wild flowers are innumerable. Amongst these may be particularised the bird’s-eye primrose, the Scotch primrose, the blue-bell, the foxpglove, and the beautiful gem called the white flower of Parnassus. The following with their Linnaean names, are some of the more rara and interesting plants hitherto not regarded as natives of the county:- Draba incana, Pyrus aria, Saxifraga stallaris, S. tridactylites, Valeriana dioica, Hieracium boreale, H. prenanthoides, Arctostaphylos, alpina , Anchusa semper virens, Veronica polita, Rumex sanguinens, Juneus Balticus, Carex limosa, Osmunda regalis, Isotes lacustris, Lycopodium Annotinum, etc.
http://www.caithness.org/history/historyofcaithness/chapter1/pageone.htm